The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whistler - 1st time

250Integra

Olympic rings are the option. The ones you are most likely reasoning about are in the 'square' and are well set up for pics;but there's another set you can see from the creekside gondola.  Have a stroll along the 'town walk' and you'll see things that intrigue you, don't know in case you're into galleries yet there's a decent craftsmanship.

When I go up to Whistler, a few things are a must. 

Splitz Grill - Best burgers in town.

Southside Diner - Either I stop on the way up or the way home from Whistler

The bridge between Whistler and Blackcomb.  They have these large chairs to sit in and they're just off the path.  Amazing stress reliever with the sound of the river and the sight of the bridge changing colors.  Though I do go in the Summer, not sure what it's like this time of year.

Pinnacle Whistler has some nice in room Jacuzzi tub suites.  Little pricey but nice.

Do the Peak to Peak.

Always wanted to take a run down the Whistler Sliding Center.  Usually closed whenever I go, but they should be open this time of year.

On 1/11/2018 at 6:31 PM, Grapefruits said:

When I go up to Whistler, a few things are a must. 

Splitz Grill - Best burgers in town.

Always wanted to take a run down the Whistler Sliding Center.  Usually closed whenever I go, but they should be open this time of year.

The sliding centre is open!  woohoo.  My SO just finished a three day course there and loved it (covered in bruises and all) and she wants to buy a 10 day pass and keep doing it.

The 'intro' one that most tourists do is pretty cool as well, you just have to be under 100kg (fully clothed) to be able to do it ...and they do do a weigh in.

Love Splitz Grill.  Closest thing to the 'old timey' burgers you can get around Whistler.  New owners keep the same successful things going and hopefully in the off season they will once again have their half price days.  Mmmmmmmm

Haven't been to southside in awhile but it was always good too.

I like gnarlyroots pizza (near the Olympic rings) to keep on the food theme.

Apparently... snow's a'comin'

On 1/15/2018 at 12:23 PM, 250Integra said:

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Definitely looking forward to going up this week.

Let us know how it goes!  (if you can be bothered).

Super busy on the hill today (sat) and windy as well.  Snowing a lot.

11 minutes ago, triangulate said:

Let us know how it goes!  (if you can be bothered).

Super busy on the hill today (sat) and windy as well.  Snowing a lot.

It was 1.5 hours to drive from Brandywine to The Village this morning. The conditions this week are awesome. 

On 1/15/2018 at 12:23 PM, 250Integra said:

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Definitely looking forward to going up this week.

Send me a PM if you have any questions while you're here.  I tend to pop on 3-4 times a day :)

So this Whistler trip was special for myself as I proposed to my girlfriend in the village (she said yes)! It was a bit of a gloomy day (weather wise), but it thankfully started to snow lightly when I dropped to one knee and asked her to marry me. After that, it was heavy rain / wet snow, so we sought shelter in the surrounding stores until dinner time at 21 steps (great restaurant). As we made our way back to our vehicles, we stopped by Cow's Ice Cream which was amazing.

The next day, we walked over to the Creekside Gondola from our Airbnb place and there was a big lineup at 8:00am in the morning. We made our way up Whistler mountain, and sat on the P2P to Blackcomb. For myself having only ever snowboarded on Mt. Washington, it was neat to compare how much higher the elevation is, but the wait for each chairlift was a bit too much. After getting to Blackcomb, we made our way to the 7th Heaven chair.  Although the wait there was a good 20-30 minutes wait, we had a good time feeding and photo-taking the Canada Jay's that perch around the area.

After we finally got up to the top of Blackcomb, I have the say the conditions were pretty surreal in the morning. There were some great powder spots, and the groomed runs were very quick and smooth. It started to get quite foggy and windy in the afternoon, but it was still enjoyable. We spent most of our day on Blackcomb before going back to Whistler mountain to end the day. We definitely did not have enough time to explore both mountains, but for one day of snowboarding, it blew away anything I have ever experienced on Mt. Washington. I'll definitely have to come again!

Archived