The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whistler - 1st time

250Integra

Hey everyone!

My friends and I are going to Whistler for the first time in a few weeks so we are starting to plan out our days. We're going to be staying for 3 days / 2 nights in Creekside Village, and we're hitting the slopes for one day. Coming from the island, Whistler is brand new to us in terms of winter activities, so I am reaching out to CDC for some advice on things to do / avoid, etc. A few questions:

1. Are there discounted one-day lift tickets available? if so, where can we purchase them? I've heard that a particular 7-11 in Squamish sells discounted tickets, but apparently they do not do that anymore?

2. Blackcomb vs Whistler mountain. Since we are only hitting the slopes for one day, which one should we spend more time on? I've heard Blackcomb is a lot better, especially the runs from 7th heaven? We are intermediate-level at skiing / snowboarding.

3. What are some recommended places to visit and dine in Whistler Village? A few things we want to see are the Olympics Rings (is there more than one?) Inukshuk, and other tourist-related sights.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

On 1/5/2018 at 9:45 AM, 250Integra said:

Hey everyone!

My friends and I are going to Whistler for the first time in a few weeks so we are starting to plan out our days. We're going to be staying for 3 days / 2 nights in Creekside Village, and we're hitting the slopes for one day. Coming from the island, Whistler is brand new to us in terms of winter activities, so I am reaching out to CDC for some advice on things to do / avoid, etc. A few questions:

1. Are there discounted one-day lift tickets available? if so, where can we purchase them? I've heard that a particular 7-11 in Squamish sells discounted tickets, but apparently they do not do that anymore?

2. Blackcomb vs Whistler mountain. Since we are only hitting the slopes for one day, which one should we spend more time on? I've heard Blackcomb is a lot better, especially the runs from 7th heaven? We are intermediate-level at skiing / snowboarding.

3. What are some recommended places to visit and dine in Whistler Village? A few things we want to see are the Olympics Rings (is there more than one?) Inukshuk, and other tourist-related sights.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

1. Your best way of getting discounted tickets is ordering/buying them in advance:

https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/purchase/tickets-and-passes/winter-lift-tickets

I think that since Vail has bought out Whistler, there's no more 7-11 type offers.

2. 3 days and only hitting the slopes once?  shame on you!  lol.  Both mountains are good.  History had blackcomb being the more'upstart' and cool mountain and whistler being for staid old skiers BUT geography doesn't care.  If you are staying at Creekside, grab the creekside gondola (walk there or use the free parking) then there's plenty of runs and/or bowls to keep you interested.  Honestly, you're going up for one day,, Whistler will be more than fine.  Hate it? Take the peak to peak and go on blackcomb for awhile.

3.Dining: Depends on budget and tastes.  Splitz has the best burgers, dusty's (creekside) is a good pub, El Furnie is cheap and good, plus Rimrock etc are good restaurants. You'll have to work that out for yourselves I reckon.

Olympic rings: The ones you are probably thinking about are in the 'plaza' and are well set up for pics;but there's another set you can see from the creekside gondola (they are green those ones)

Have a walk along the 'village stroll' and you'll see things that interest you, don't know if you're into museums but there's a good art one (Audain) and a whistler one in Petersen park.

There are hosts along the village stroll that are happy to help.

Also check out their website (obv).

Hope this helps.

:)

Just got back before Christmas and it had been a while since I was last there, stayed at the Fairmont which was nice since we could ski in/out.  Blackcomb was the better mountain but found it weird that most of the lifts closed at 3.  If you like Ramen the best restaurant was Harajuku Izakaya, definitely recommend.  Went to a couple of different sushi places all of them were really good.  Amsterdam's cafe had decent breakfeast, Beacon pub had cheap drinks during there happy hour.

Blackcomb is easier to get around and more open.  Seventh Heaven!  :wub: Dave Reid downhill on Whistler if you like sheer speeeeeeeeeeeeeeed...

Take the Flying Fox between two mountains.

If you have some bucks, and it I still there .> Rim Rock Cafe in the Lowe Village is a top 10 restaurant on the West Coast of N America.

Savage Beagle is a perfect standby. I first bumped into my Aussie bride there, 25 years ago? Any place in the village is fine though.

Savage Beagle Party

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Blackcomb is easier to get around and more open.  Seventh Heaven!  :wub: Dave Reid downhill on Whistler if you like sheer speeeeeeeeeeeeeeed...

If you have some bucks, and it I still there .> Rim Rock Cafe in the Lowe Village is a top 10 restaurant on the West Coast of N America.

Savage Beagle is a perfect standby. I first bumped into my Aussie bride there, 25 years ago? Any place in the village is fine though.

7th heaven is good.  If the OP is a snowboarder then it's a bit of a long-ish cat track to initially get to.

I think you mean Dave Murray for the speed run and not Dave Reid the hockey player  (lol)

RimRock cafe most certainly is still open, and Cows ice cream is real good. @Sean Monahan

1 minute ago, triangulate said:

7th heaven is good.  If the OP is a snowboarder then it's a bit of a long-ish cat track to initially get to.

I think you mean Dave Murray for the speed run and not Dave Reid the hockey player  (lol)

RimRock cafe most certainly is still open, and Cows ice cream is real good. @Sean Monahan

Yup, Dave Murray...  :lol:

Its been nearly 20 years since I lived in Vancouver.  Gotta come home next Christmas.

Lived here since 2000

1) No more deals. Vail ended that. Be ready to pay $150 for your day pass. No single day advanced sales 2 of 3 day or more only. 

2) Hit them both....they connected the two by the Peak 2 Peak gondolas which you  must check out.....Blackcomb is better mid mountain and Whistler is better alpine. Load up Creekside since you're staying there....hit some laps on Red chair, then hit Pique or Harmony..avoid Symphony...it's flat and broing. 7th Heaven is flat and boring and for tourists. Glacier and Crystal laps on the Comb in the afternoon. Crystal trees are the $&!# but very cliffy in some spots.The conditions are absolute $&!# right now on both but we're getting snow this week. 

3) Avoid the Longhorn..looks fun...but its $25 a jug and the food is the worst.  The Dubhlin Gate is a fun live music bar with cheap beers 5-7pm, the GLC is great and so is the Cinnamon Bear. There are no fun options in Creekside so expect to go to the village.  The Rimrock is booked up the next two weeks but spots may open..it is my fave place in town.  21 Steps in the village is a great mid level place with awesome food and huge portions.  Brandis at The Keg or Roland's in Creekside are great places to watch sports.  Southside Dinner in the Creek is a good greasy spoon for breakfast o days you don't ride. 

Oh and the night clubs all suck but if 19-24 hit Garfs or Maxx Fish....Mojoes on a Sunday....if older hit Buffalo Bills.  I'd rather chill at Brandis until 1am...but it's more of a locals joint.  

And as for the earlier mentioned Aussie girls...they all have 1-2 guys they're already banging but one night stands are definitely on the menu. I've always done better with Brits, Irish, Van and American girls. The Aussies we get are $&!#ty people overall...some real gems but the fresh of the boat ones that run in packs are just $&!#ty, $&!#ty people. I say this and a few of my best friends in the world are Aussie...  

On 1/7/2018 at 1:00 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

Savage Beagle Party

Side note...the Beagle has been closed for over 5 years ;) 

5 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Pick up a 15 case or a 2.6, an Avalanche pizza, and a local. 

Enjoy!

Misty Mountain >>>>  Avalanche ....at one point I actually ran the latter....many, many years ago...but it still tastes the same :) 

On 1/7/2018 at 5:05 PM, Jägermeister said:

If you get with a local (including Aussie locals), wear protection.

Aussies aren't locals and statistically that country has higher STD rates. Definitely jacket up....although in my experience it's tourists who don't care about that as much...

20 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I've never tasted either sober, but my inebriated palette definitely enjoys Avalanche haha

The drunk 'local'  choice seems to be the beef n blue cheese from Fat Tonys.  It is the exact same as that pizza joint on Granville near The Commodore and The Loose Moose....

EDIT: Misty is loaded with toppings and does an extra large 5 topping pie for $24...pick up only.   I can eat 2 slices max :) 

Archived