The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Sens & Coyotes Blockbuster

I know this is a Canucks board, but as a Canucks fan, I have a proposal with two other teams.  Would be interested to hear your feedback.

My further explanation is below but essentially Ottawa has collapsed after trading for Duchene, which puts them in a strange spot of not wanting to rebuild, but being a terrible team this year.  They need to make a move.  Plus they need to focus on convincing Karlsson to re-sign.  Arizona is clearly still rebuilding, and they risk losing OEL to free agency after next season so traded him now may fetch them top value.  This deal helps both teams with their needs.

To Ottawa: Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Anthony Duclair, 2018 2nd round pick

To Arizona: Cody Ceci, Jean-Gabriel Pageau, Colin White, Ottawa's first round pick (2018 if top 10, 2019 otherwise.  Essentially the opposite of what Colorado has. Likely a top 5 pick this year)

Why for Ottawa: The Sens are in a very unique situation.  They traded away a bunch of future assets for a player in his prime (Duchene) then the team went downhill.  By selling, they admit it was not a smart decision.  Also, Karlsson only has a year left on his contract after this season and convincing him to re-sign has to be priority #1.  By trading for OEL, the Sens make a bold trade to help in several ways.  They add an elite defense partner to go with Karlsson to make them the best tandem in the game.  He's also Swedish.  OEL shoots left, Karlsson right.  He's only 25 so he fits the core age the Sense were going for with Duchene.  With Melnyk under pressure and taking fire, it shows his fan base and team that he is serious about winning, not just getting a downtown arena.  The pairing of OEL & Karlsson has potential to be so elite that Karlsson may re-sign.

The Sens also get Duclair, who has asked for a trade from Arizona.  He's only 21 and highly skilled, just needs to be put in the right situation to succeed.

The second round pick helps offset the loss of the first rounder, since it should be first pick of the second round.

Why for Arizona: Trading away their only true star player hurts, but OEL also only has one year left on his contract and the odds of him re-signing in Arizona are very slim.  They sell now rather than next year to maximize value.  The ever-rebuilding Coyotes add four good young pieces to their rebuild including likely a top 5 pick overall in this entry draft.  This pick will be  a potential top building block for the franchise, along with their 2018 first round pick.  Ceci is a good young defensemen with years of contract control left, and Pageau is a good young forward to replace Duclair.  Plus they get the Sens 2015 first round pick centerman Colin White.  With four young assets in return, including the very highly valued top 5 pick in the draft, it's a very good return for OEL and a disgruntled Duclair.

This deal helps both teams with their needs.  For the Sens they get an elite young defenseman who is the perfect pair with Karlsson and gives them a truly dynamic duo in their prime to help convince Karlsson to stay.  Arizona sells OEL realizing now is his top value before he becomes a rental next year and gets four very good young pieces for their roster including a top pick, a recent first rounder, and a very good young d-man.

Thoughts?

So Phoenix gets either a top 10 pick this draft or a potentially worse one next season if Ottawa makes the playoffs? That's an odd condition for them to accept for OEL. Also, if I'm Ottawa I hold onto that 1st round pick, especially after seeing what happened with the unlikely, yet still possible, leap up to the top drafting positions last year by Philly and Jersey. 

Also, if the Sens are for some reason balking at paying Karlsson like they did Turris then adding OEL isn't going to make things any easier come negotiation time. 

Chayka again repeated to Custance just two weeks ago that he is not going to trade OEL.  McKenzie and LeBrun have also reported that Arizona has no intention of moving OEL.

Arizona has been trying to move Duclair for a while - they are not impressed by his work ethic.  As he is playing less he is unhappy and then requested a trade but it started with them not being happy with him.  Him asking for a trade came after teams already knew that Arizona wanted to move him.  It changes his value.

At the Burrows trade Dorion said that they are a handful of prospects that they would never ever consider moving.  I would bet that White is part of that group.  

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

So Phoenix gets either a top 10 pick this draft or a potentially worse one next season if Ottawa makes the playoffs? That's an odd condition for them to accept for OEL. Also, if I'm Ottawa I hold onto that 1st round pick, especially after seeing what happened with the unlikely, yet still possible, leap up to the top drafting positions last year by Philly and Jersey. 

Also, if the Sens are for some reason balking at paying Karlsson like they did Turris then adding OEL isn't going to make things any easier come negotiation time. 

The condition is because of the Colorado trade.  Colorado gets their draft pick this year (except top ten) and otherwise next year.  In this deal Arizona gets whichever pick Colorado does not.

And I have also heard that Arizona has said they won't trade OEL.  Maybe that's true, maybe that's saying they'd have to have their socks knocked off to trade him.  This is a deal I think they'd have to strongly consider since they risk losing him for nothing after next year.  It's not unheard of for a GM to say he's not trading someone then end up doing it if the right deal comes along.

4 minutes ago, underrated said:

The condition is because of the Colorado trade.  Colorado gets their draft pick this year (except top ten) and otherwise next year.  In this deal Arizona gets whichever pick Colorado does not.

And I have also heard that Arizona has said they won't trade OEL.  Maybe that's true, maybe that's saying they'd have to have their socks knocked off to trade him.  This is a deal I think they'd have to strongly consider since they risk losing him for nothing after next year.  It's not unheard of for a GM to say he's not trading someone then end up doing it if the right deal comes along.

Thanks, that makes sense, derp, I should have been able to reach that draft pick conclusion on my own. Yes, to me the deal makes more sense for Arizona instead of Ottawa, but if I'm a GM I don't trade my star player for a protected pick and extras.

12 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Thanks, that makes sense, derp, I should have been able to reach that draft pick conclusion on my own. Yes, to me the deal makes more sense for Arizona instead of Ottawa, but if I'm a GM I don't trade my star player for a protected pick and extras.

peter-chiarelli.jpg?w=1424

In ordinary conditions I think it would be more acceptable for Arizona to accept a move of a star for 4 quality pieces (maybe Ottawa's down for it too if they do decide to sell the farm and go in that direction, which could be foolish esp. seeing how things have fallen apart after the Duchene trade).

I think it's not entirely unlikely, and it's happened before that stars are stated as not being moveable, yet they are moved after all.  Maybe a move like this would happen for OEL.  

I think value wise it's a good proposal. Senators are paying a premium for OEL to get him at this point though. This season is lost for the Sens. They are better off trying to acquire him next year at a cheaper cost or try to acquire help elsewhere.

As for Arizona, it's hard to say what they will do. I thought they were going to be a bit more patient with their rebuild and then they traded for a bunch of vets. And they are still terrible. Perhaps they may move OEL in an attempt to retool

1 hour ago, HockeydownUnder said:

As for Arizona, it's hard to say what they will do. I thought they were going to be a bit more patient with their rebuild and then they traded for a bunch of vets. And they are still terrible. Perhaps they may move OEL in an attempt to retool

Their trades for vets were mostly to take on bad contracts in order to get extra draft pick assets and his the cap floor.  They're in full rebuild.

18 minutes ago, underrated said:

Their trades for vets were mostly to take on bad contracts in order to get extra draft pick assets and his the cap floor.  They're in full rebuild.

Niklas Hjalmarsson, Derek Stephan, and Antti Raanta. Arizona gave up young players and a 1st rounder to acquire them all and none of those vets were considered to be on bad contracts. They also traded off two 5th rounders for added depth. Arizona's trades make it look like they wanted to push for playoffs

The only draft pick they got back was a conditional 3rd for mike smith

On 1/10/2018 at 4:36 PM, HockeydownUnder said:

Niklas Hjalmarsson, Derek Stephan, and Antti Raanta. Arizona gave up young players and a 1st rounder to acquire them all and none of those vets were considered to be on bad contracts. They also traded off two 5th rounders for added depth. Arizona's trades make it look like they wanted to push for playoffs

The only draft pick they got back was a conditional 3rd for mike smith

For the New York trade, I agree that they gave up a future asset to add two legitimate players.  That's one example of them making a move to improve.  The other is Goligoski.  But for the most part they are rebuilding around guys like Domi and Keller.

Arizona traded Connor Murphy and Laurent Dauphin for Hjalmarsson.  Neither of those players hold much value.  They may be 22 and 24, and Murphy was a high pick way back in 2011, but neither has any potential to be more than a bottom of the roster player.  That's not really selling future assets, those are expendable guys.  Chicago did that to clear space.

The guys I was referring to are Bolland and Demers.

Archived