The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(PROPOSAL) Here's what JB must do!

It is not time to panic, or try to hit a home run on a faint hope....

The truth is Toronto is no going to move a key player for another Key player...........just not going to happen

Toronto looses Van Reimsdyk at the end of the year, so I don't imagine they want to part with another key forward

I think Toronto may be interested in trading assets, but it will be for picks,,,,,,and it should be for picks!

Here me out..........let's just say we get a 1st, and 2 -2nds............(because of age and injuries,,,probably not, but close)

So let's just say these assets turn out.................that has value for both ourselves, intermally, or for a later trade (wouldn't we want some of Phili's or Tampa's prospects!)

So.......reluctantly, I suggest one of

Tanev 50% to Toronto for their 2018 1st, Tor 2018 2nd and  SJ 2018-2nd....not a perfect trade, but this alone gives us future assets.......I hope Benning and Beckett are drafting.

or  

Tanev 50% to Tampa for their 2018 1st, and Cal Foote

or

Tanev 50% to Washington for their 2018 1st , Lucas Johansen and 2018-3rd

or 

Tanev  50% to NYI for lowest 2018 1st, Vande Sompel, and a 2018 2nd

or

Tanev 50% to Pittsburg for Daniel Sprong and a 1st

Almost all trades the Canucks have to take back a contract.......which we can probably move to the AHL/Waivers/trade

The reason to trading Tanev is his accumulation of injuries and possibility of early decline due to them. *1 note.......Tanev's injuries are mostly due to his hard work, which is his best attribute and his greatest negative...............he put himself in harms way, far too often, and quite frankly, he is not big enough to continually take the punishment, yes he will have more years of being a top end defensive Dman, but the question is how long, and does it fit into our rebuild? Trade for assets, then sign a top end UFA, with a front end contract.

-Toronto does this because they are a top 10 team and have always wanted Tanev....they do not want to give up players or prospects...Tanev gives them the plus they need

-Tampa does this to secure their next 3 Stanley Cups

-Washington does this as they are falling back and OVI's window is slowly closing....they want it now!

-NYI do this because they need Dmen and have some of their own looking at UFA status

Vancouver does this because they have very little assets that can bring that kind of return back, and Tanev will most likely not be a part of any cup runs, by the time our prospects all develop. 

* 2nd Note...........

I still think the Canucks should move Vanek for a 2nd, one of Hutton/MDZ/Pouliot for a 2nd, Sutter for a 2nd +3rd, and consider Baertschi for a 1st

Hey, not panic, but we need to move him, and sign a bigger Dman..............love Tanev! Just tired of his injuries

The process is taking a while, but the Canucks will soon have Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlen, Lind and Gadjovich joining the team. Maybe Goldobin and Virtanen have a productive off-season and they impress next year. It sounds like the only way the Canucks trade Tanev is if it's an offer they can't refuse. (eg. Tanev for Marner+?) Unfortunately, we're going to have to bide our time with Edler and the Sedins. They may be here for another year or two. By then they should also have Juolevi and hopefully our 2018 1st on the team. I think this team needs better goaltending. We've been a bit spoiled over the last several years with Luongo, Schneider and Miller. Markstrom and Nilsson aren't getting it done, but Demko might be here next season, so there is hope. Stay the course, draft well, develop properly, get good value for trades at the TDL.  

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

If Tanev is traded for nothing but picks, there must be a high level one, not something in the 20s, which is all that most playoff teams have to offer.  Doubt JB would accept that anyway -- he'd want a top pick plus at least an A/B-level prospect back, at a minimum.

Hey Hutt

So Dougie Hamilton (9th OA 2012) was traded for 2015-1st - 15-OA + 2-2015 -2nds (45th + 52nd)

That is a mid 1st and to be honest....when you compare Tanev to Hamilton.......skill verses age, I think it is kind of a wash......maybe little nudge to Hamilton because of his pedigree at the time of the trade.....take into consideration Tanev's history with injuries...........and I think we would be lucky to get, as I have suggested, which brings me to the question of what do you think of my suggestions in this post? 

Just interested! Cheers!

They're different players, that's for certain.  And more than once we've heard rumours of the Flames possibly shopping Dougie, so perhaps there are other things at play.  Has Dougie peaked, or can he still become more consistent?  Hard to say their respective valuations in the marketplace, but would have to figure the Dougie deal would be the baseline for Tanev to be moved.

On 2018-02-10 at 9:50 AM, Wiznac said:

Our defence is by far our weak spot. We have good forwards coming up and some good ones on the team. If you trade tanev ??? Who else is back there now ? Edler for one more year, guddy is gone Del Zotto for a year. That leaves Hutton, pouliot and stecher. Besides Olli we have nothing coming up so we need to make moves for d or start drafting more

I agree with you on this, Tanev is essential for the future..whether it is playing in a Nucks uniform or traded for an elite D man prospect, well said.

On 2018-02-09 at 8:44 PM, captaincowbasher said:

I know many of you feel the team needs quality defenders, but the Canucks need skill, and speed. I've been to a few games this year, and to be honest I, and my two son's had to leave the game vs.Tampa after the 2nd period. It was gross to watch,

It's funny how you don't agree we need more quality defenders, you left the game vs Tampa because it was 3 nil....well guess who wasn't in the lineup, Tanev!  Yet you wish to trade him. I agree the game was hard to watch but leaving a game is unacceptable to me...where's the loyalty. 

Archived