The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Paul Henderson HHOF

I have mixed feelings on this one. On one hand without scoring those three game winning goals would have changed hockey forever maybe worse, maybe better i don't know. The biggest series in my lifetime, School was shutdown... i was in grade 2 at the time. I mean everyone watched it. It was talked about forever... suddenly everyone was a hockey fan ( yes lots of habs and leaf fans started then)  For those reasons alone he should be in.

Having said that he wasn't the great NHL player that we expect get into the hall. But for that one amazing series, he should be in!

The Henderson goal stands out in memory just like the Bobby Orr flyer in 1970, not the same skill set perhaps but with similar impact. Is the hall of fame just for career stats or also for epic moments in hockey history? I wouldn't want to make the call , but I think it's debatable.

16 hours ago, ynwa said:

The Henderson goal stands out in memory just like the Bobby Orr flyer in 1970, not the same skill set perhaps but with similar impact. Is the hall of fame just for career stats or also for epic moments in hockey history? I wouldn't want to make the call , but I think it's debatable.

Moreso than Orr's goal

Paul Henderson and the Canadian Team Series  was just as exciting to hockey fans in Canada as the Beatles arrival was to Music

They both encaptured a nation and had everyone watching and emotionally invested than anytime ever in Canadian hockey

If the hockey hall of FAME means fame

That series was a famous series and one man scored the 3 needed late goals in the last 3 games, for a entire nation to rejoice (even non hockey fans)

I had forgotten that Gilbert Perreault, Vic Hadfield, Rick Martin and Jocelyn Guevremont had left 1/2 way through

Perreault left after the game 5 loss and it seemed like only Perreault, Cournoyer and Henderson were the only ones who could  skate with the Russians

I remember reading somewhere that Eagleson near the end of Game 8, had said to some important Russian ,that maybe it was fitting that the series ends in a draw, and the Russian saying that they would claim victory in case of a tie, considering they had scored one more in total goals during the eight games (not counting Canada's uncounted ones) This couldn't happen. We could not witness a smug, smiling and celebratory Soviet contingent, not after clawing back over a period of several games, and them claim victory on a technicality. A tie would be like kissing Leonid Brezhnev's wife, or Leonid Brezhnev and at the point Eagleson told him off and then Henderson scores with 34 seconds left to win it for Canada

The OP isn’t the only one who’s brought the idea up in the past, there is a sizable contingent out there that wants him in (not talking about on the CDC, actual media/influential hockey people).    Problem is that would set a precedent for very good but not great players to get in.  And not just bubble guys like Roenick, Mogilny, Fluery etc who still might make it in.  The 72 summit series was the most important and iconic tournament ever, no question, just like the 87 Canada Cup was the best tournament ever no question.   I think one poster said it best in that the 72 series is already in the HHOF, and Henderson gets his recognition that way,  and he’s also famous for it anyways.  

Before he gets in id like to see guys like Barasso, Osgood and Mogilny get there due...and I’d rather he didn’t get in at all as a player because that’s not what it’s all about.  The bar already had been lowered a bit with some inductees over the last fifteen or so years, I’d hate to see it get any lower.

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

The OP isn’t the only one who’s brought the idea up in the past, there is a sizable contingent out there that wants him in (not talking about on the CDC, actual media/influential hockey people).    Problem is that would set a precedent for very good but not great players to get in.  And not just bubble guys like Roenick, Mogilny, Fluery etc who still might make it in.  The 72 summit series was the most important and iconic tournament ever, no question, just like the 87 Canada Cup was the best tournament ever no question.   I think one poster said it best in that the 72 series is already in the HHOF, and Henderson gets his recognition that way,  and he’s also famous for it anyways.  

Before he gets in id like to see guys like Barasso, Osgood and Mogilny get there due...and I’d rather he didn’t get in at all as a player because that’s not what it’s all about.  The bar already had been lowered a bit with some inductees over the last fifteen or so years, I’d hate to see it get any lower.

Goalies in the hof have always been notoriously omitted with no reason why compared to everyone else. I don't get it. A few years ago i would have never thought Henderson for hof but now i look at it and think "why not" lol.

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

No talk of Mike Eruzione in the HHOF? :P

I am not or anyone else suggesting Henderson gets in on the one goal

We needed to win the last 3 games to win the series

Henderson scored the winning goals in each of those and  a Nation was united and hockey was all that mattered then

Business and schools shut down to watch these games, The fascination , mystery and drama will never be met again

I had been reading about the series that got me intrigued to watch the video

Esposito: At the beginning of the series, all 35 players were promised they would play at least one game. I told Harry that was crazy. "You can't play everyone, or else we'll never become a real team." He said a promise was a promise.

Eagleson: At the end of the second period, the Russians were up 4-2 and I bumped into Gary Smith from our Moscow embassy. He says, "These Russians are killing you." We were friends before then and after then, but not at that moment. I said, "You're a communist, just like they are. Get out of my sight." This thing wasn't just a hockey game any more.

Sinden: During camp, I tried to convince the NHL players how good the Russians were going to be. I showed them a 16-millimetre tape of a game I'd played against the Russians in 1957 when I was with the Whitby Dunlops. But they all sat there laughing.

Esposito: Training camp involved lots of drinking, that's what I remember. I partied a lot. I drank a lot. But then after that first game in Montreal, it was, "Okay, okay, we have to get ourselves together, we've got two days to become a team."

Esaw: This was not just a hockey game, this was a world-class international confrontation. That was in evidence in the stands: Both Leonid Brezhnev and [head of state] Nikolai Podgorny attended. You might expect one or the other, but to have both sent the signal that the Soviets considered this an event of great national importance.

7 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I am not or anyone else suggesting Henderson gets in on the one goal

We needed to win the last 3 games to win the series

Henderson scored the winning goals in each of those and  a Nation was united and hockey was all that mattered then

Business and schools shut down to watch these games, The fascination , mystery and drama will never be met again

I had been reading about the series that got me intrigued to watch the video

Eagleson: At the end of the second period, the Russians were up 4-2 and I bumped into Gary Smith from our Moscow embassy. He says, "These Russians are killing you." We were friends before then and after then, but not at that moment. I said, "You're a communist, just like they are. Get out of my sight." This thing wasn't just a hockey game any more.

Sinden: During camp, I tried to convince the NHL players how good the Russians were going to be. I showed them a 16-millimetre tape of a game I'd played against the Russians in 1957 when I was with the Whitby Dunlops. But they all sat there laughing.

Esposito: Training camp involved lots of drinking, that's what I remember. I partied a lot. I drank a lot. But then after that first game in Montreal, it was, "Okay, okay, we have to get ourselves together, we've got two days to become a team."

Probably why you won’t get any argument against the teams tribute in the HHOF.  Lost in this discussion in Tony Os play in the series. Legendary (legit) goalie Ken Dryden didn’t play his best.  Tony O coming in to hold the fort helped saved Team Canada.  Without him, Henderson wouldn’t have been able to have those career highlight goals.

Archived