The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van-Chi

Canucks have some good LD depth up and coming. Hutton has been very good this year but he is still a somewhat unknown asset. Will he replicate his play next year?

Assuming Edler is resigned and knowing Hughes will be taking a top 6 spot next year with Juolevi/Brisebois/Sautner all fighting for spots as well one might assume Hutton is an expendable asset. Chicago has 3 very good RD prospects and have been reported to be interested in moving one of them. Therefore,

Hutton for Jokiharju

In my mind these two guys are of nearly equal calibre with Hutton being a bit more proven. Going into next year you might sign a vet UFA in free agency and then flip him at the deadline and slide in Juolevi, Sautner or Brisebois. Or try and talk Tryamkin into coming back...

Goldy-Pettersson-Boeser

Leivo-Horvat-(KAKKO!!!)/MacEwen

Pearson-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Sautner-Myers

I proposed a similar trade a while back: Juolevi for Jokiharju. Hawks fans thought the value was fair, but taking a defenseman back does nothing to solve their upcoming surplus at the position. They'd just be back where they started after a lateral move while the Canucks fill a positional need. 

Also, Hutton is not close to equal value for a young, cost controlled RHD that has shown well in the NHL so far. That would be a worse version of trading Woo for Murray. 

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Canucks have some good LD depth up and coming. Hutton has been very good this year but he is still a somewhat unknown asset. Will he replicate his play next year?

Assuming Edler is resigned and knowing Hughes will be taking a top 6 spot next year with Juolevi/Brisebois/Sautner all fighting for spots as well one might assume Hutton is an expendable asset. Chicago has 3 very good RD prospects and have been reported to be interested in moving one of them. Therefore,

Hutton for Jokiharju

In my mind these two guys are of nearly equal calibre with Hutton being a bit more proven. Going into next year you might sign a vet UFA in free agency and then flip him at the deadline and slide in Juolevi, Sautner or Brisebois. Or try and talk Tryamkin into coming back...

Goldy-Pettersson-Boeser

Leivo-Horvat-(KAKKO!!!)/MacEwen

Pearson-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Sautner-Myers

I've been thinking about a Virtanen jokiharju trade and try to sign Myers

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Sautner-Stetcher

Juolevi-Jokiharju

After trading tanev at the deadline

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev 

Juolevi-Jokiharju

Sautner

44 minutes ago, Wanless said:

I've been thinking about a Virtanen jokiharju trade and try to sign Myers

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Sautner-Stetcher

Juolevi-Jokiharju

After trading tanev at the deadline

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev 

Juolevi-Jokiharju

Sautner

Did we clone him before trading ;) 

Id hate to give up Virtanen. I thought he took some big strides this year. Better to trade away areas of surplus. Big wingers that can really skate are hard to come by and are very valuable in the playoffs.

I would make that trade in a second.  Not sure Chicago would.

The thing is that while Hutton has improved, he will never be more than a 3rd pairing on a good team.  We have plenty of such blueliners between our roster and prospects. 

What we need is top end talent, and while Jokiharju may amount to little he might also end up very good.  Absolutely worth the minimal risk.

48 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Did we clone him before trading ;)

Id hate to give up Virtanen. I thought he took some big strides this year. Better to trade away areas of surplus. Big wingers that can really skate are hard to come by and are very valuable in the playoffs.

Hahaha

It would be a tough one to swallow for sure. I like what Virtanen brings for sure. I just don't see what else we have for forwards that are NHL ready or already playing that could be used to trade.

Maybe Madden could generate some interest but then he's a small player who doesn't even have a contract

Either way Jokiharju or a RD in his early 20s that projects to 3-4 is worth looking in to

Why do the Hawks give up on Jokiharju?  

The kid performed pretty well for his age at the NHL level.  And so far in Rockford he has 13 points in 15 games with a +3 while playing top line minutes.  The Hawks are extremely happy with his progression.

So while they may have a surplus of defensive prospects, does it sound logical for them to move their most developed one for an older, more expensive, and totally average player of the same position?

And Im not sure Virtanen alone gets it done either. 

We don't have a lot of good forward prospects to give up. Maybe Dahlen (when we had him) for Jokiharju but Dahlen was still a few years away from making the NHL.

The only other forward prospect we have that's NHL-ready is Gaudette. 

How would you guys feel about a Gaudette for Jokiharju swap? Is that more palatable than Virtanen for Jokiharju?

19 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

We don't have a lot of good forward prospects to give up. Maybe Dahlen (when we had him) for Jokiharju but Dahlen was still a few years away from making the NHL.

The only other forward prospect we have that's NHL-ready is Gaudette. 

How would you guys feel about a Gaudette for Jokiharju swap? Is that more palatable than Virtanen for Jokiharju?

It probably helps that Gaudette and Sikura had such good chemistry together in college.  Being two years older than Jokiharju probably hurts though.

Any chance for a pick....Joker was 1st rounder just 2 seasons ago and it's not like his stock has fallen.

Counter offer....Sikura + Jokiharju for Boeser

28 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

It probably helps that Gaudette and Sikura had such good chemistry together in college.  Being two years older than Jokiharju probably hurts though.

Any chance for a pick....Joker was 1st rounder just 2 seasons ago and it's not like his stock has fallen.

Counter offer....Sikura + Jokiharju for Boeser

I don't think that would flow with the Canucks fanbase. For one, Boeser is already producing in the NHL with back-to-back 20 goal seasons in a first line role. If the Canucks were to trade Boeser, I would hope it would be for a similar-aged defenseman of similar level of impact. As it stands, Jokiharju isn't at that level and he may or may not get to that level. Joker definitely does have potential as a #2/3 or Top4 defenseman, and right-handed puck moving defenseman are always coveted.

Archived