The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Flyers remove Kate Smith statue after reviewing racist allegations

59 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Seems a bit over the top for me...You have to take the context of the times (1930's) into consideration...Black and White minstrels,Golliwogs,..all sorts of racial misconceptions were commonplace at the time..nobody gave them a second thought.

Does that mean that followers of the Hitler Youth back in the 1930's should be tarred and feathered in 2020?

you have a great user name for this discussion!! ha ha

and I agree its over the top, but then you look at the one poster vehemently defending this issue and you (I) don't want to side with them.

However  if you look into American race relations, you will find that white land owners fueled racism to divide and conquer the poor. Very little has changed.

To this day in Nova Scotia, blacks are pulled over at 10 times the rate of white. You might say, "Nobody gives it much thought", and you would be right, but the practice is still wrong.

Considering the John Macdonald status was taken down in Canada, this shouldn't be a surprise. If the first Canadian prime minster to sign the Constitution can't have a statue, why should Kate Smith?

For the record, I think taking down a statue is silly. As some posters have already said, this is just cherry-picking at stuff. If we did that to everyone, there'd be something shameful to uncover.

3 hours ago, the grinder said:

yet there are teams named the Indians the braves the redskins the chiefs  shouldn't those be removed as well   

I'm pretty sure both the Redskins and Indians we're being evaluated. It's only a matter of time before Indians are renamed to Tribe. That's their unofficial name used by announcers.

• -SN- locked this topic

Archived