The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Abbotsford Centre Review

Rate this topic

Slickrick2369

4 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

I'm all for keeping the Comets in Utica. The fans there have been great, the kids are far away from the vulturous media of the lower mainland, and they're given way more practice time due to a significantly shorter travel schedule.

1 minute ago, 6string said:

The Comets would be a sell out each weekends and near capacity weeknights. I'd go to games on the weekend for sure!

WE are hockey mad in the lower mainland and populated enough to support both ends of the franchise, get er done!

The above are both good points.

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Im sure they would.......still not leaving Utica.

This one not so much ;)

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bitter Melon said:

If only that were that were how it worked.

It does look at Toronto, Winnipeg, Chicago, Pittsburgh, San Jose and Los Angeles. As if their media is any different with scrutiny and the travel from their time zones any more difficult.

6 minutes ago, BrockBoester said:

The above are both good points.

This one not so much ;)

Didn't say it wasn't a nice dream, but it's been covered and commented on by Canucks brass ad neaseum.  They have zero plans to move any time soon.  Perhaps in 5 or 10 years, if there's a larger AHL presence in the west they consider it, but it's highly unlikely

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 6string said:

Travel and media argument is not anything unlike the NHL, wanna play in Vancouver then train in it!

2 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

If only that were that were how it worked.

The media is easy enough to tune out. But I'm pretty sure there's at least some inkling of truth behind the notion that much longer travel = a higher average number of games lost to injury. And Melon's point about more practice time is valid.

But we talkin bout practice here? I mean, listen, we're talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about practice. Not a game. Not, not … Not the game that they go out there and die for and play every game like it's their last. Not the game, but we're talking about practice, man.

• Upvote 3

Just now, goalie13 said:

Really?  I can buy that you are Canuck mad.  If you were hockey mad, the Heat would have succeeded, the Giants, Eagles, Express and Rivermen would be sold out every night, and the Bruins would still be in Chilliwack.

Yeah but the Heat were CALGARY'S farm team lol

CALGARY

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Really?  I can buy that you are Canuck mad.  If you were hockey mad, the Heat would have succeeded, the Giants, Eagles, Express and Rivermen would be sold out every night, and the Bruins would still be in Chilliwack.

The Heat were Calgary, impossible.

I hate the Flames and many do here. Junior has done well over the years back to the Bruins in New Westminster.

Chilliwack is hardly lower mainland.

Edited by 6string
  • Upvote 1

Just now, 6string said:

The heat were Calgary, impossible. I hate the Flames and many do here. Junior has done well over the years back to the Bruins in New Westminster.

Chilliwack is hardly lower mainland.

While I agree that the Comets would be a better draw, I don't think it was impossible.  I've hated the Flames for years but I even found myself cheering for them when I lived there (at least against teams other than the Canucks).  I think their biggest problem was being the only western team in the league.  Didn't they have to pay travel costs to the visiting teams?  They were doomed from the start.  I think if they were to try again, now that there is a western division, I think they might be able to make a go of it.

As for junior, I think it just does OK.  The Giants' attendance has certainly dropped off from their glory years.

I just think the town is more Canuck mad than it is hockey mad.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BrockBoester said:

The media is easy enough to tune out. But I'm pretty sure there's at least some inkling of truth behind the notion that much longer travel = a higher average number of games lost to injury. And Melon's point about more practice time is valid.

But we talkin bout practice here? I mean, listen, we're talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about practice. Not a game. Not, not … Not the game that they go out there and die for and play every game like it's their last. Not the game, but we're talking about practice, man.

I’m familiar with Mr. Iverson but the benefit of players having extra time to practice/learn how to live on their own and as professionals is extremely valuable in comparison to spending that extra time in a seat shuffling from game to game.

• Cheers 1