The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Syria vs Turkey vs Kurds escalation

kurtis

20 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

@CBH1926 I had no idea Russia even had troops in Serbia. 

Currently they are having Slavic shield military exercise over there.

Russia sends state-of-the-art air defense system to Serbia

https://www.dw.com/en/russia-sends-state-of-the-art-air-defense-system-to-serbia/a-50979688

Edited by CBH1926

On 10/24/2019 at 11:44 AM, Ryan Strome said:

I wasn't taking a position nor does it have anything to do with media it just always seems Putin is 5 steps ahead on many matters. Ukraine, Georgia, Syria, sanctions on his country, etc. It just seems he or the KGB or w/e always have everything pre planned. @CBH1926 is probably the most knowledgeable on Russian/Soviet affairs. Would like his response to how I view Putin.

5 steps ahead? He just flat out took over a large part of the Ukraine in front of everyone's eyes. He knows he world won't risk nuclear war...so he just did it.

It wasn't some master chess game. It was Putin acting like a thug. 

His approach in Syria is the same. Firstly, he wasn't able to stop his puppet Assad's country from spiraling out of control. Then he just came in with huge amounts of weapons, let Assad gas his population, blocked UN resolutions, etc...When the IS took over huge parts of Iraq, even though they eventually got it back, it was seen as a massive failure for the USA. How is Syrian's ongoing instability a win for Russia? The best case scenario is that things go back to the way they were before all this started.

2 minutes ago, taxi said:

5 steps ahead? He just flat out took over a large part of the Ukraine in front of everyone's eyes. He knows he world won't risk nuclear war...so he just did it.

It wasn't some master chess game. It was Putin acting like a thug. 

His approach in Syria is the same. Firstly, he wasn't able to stop his puppet Assad's country from spiraling out of control. Then he just came in with huge amounts of weapons, let Assad gas his population, blocked UN resolutions, etc...When the IS took over huge parts of Iraq, even though they eventually got it back, it was seen as a massive failure for the USA. How is Syrian's ongoing instability a win for Russia? The best case scenario is that things go back to the way they were before all this started.

My point is he always seems to act proactively rather than catch up. I've studied a lot on him he is a master manipulator. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

My point is he always seems to act proactively rather than catch up. I've studied a lot on him he is a master manipulator. 

Except for in Syria....where IS took over the country, and he's still scrambling to put Assad back in power. He's a master manipulator of facts. Syria, his closest ally in the middle east, is a complete mess, but he's somehow got people convinced this whole thing is positive. 

3 minutes ago, taxi said:

Except for in Syria....where IS took over the country, and he's still scrambling to put Assad back in power. He's a master manipulator of facts. Syria, his closest ally in the middle east, is a complete mess, but he's somehow got people convinced this whole thing is positive. 

Well he did sit back and wait till the country almost collapsed and I am trying to at least come to my own conclusion why that is.

Previous Soviet dictators acted way quicker against Israel.