The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Columbus Blue Jackets at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 08, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

St. Louis would take Beagle in a heart beat. I’m with you guys on LE, Sutter Roussel. I get it. But to say Graovac and Bailey would be a line to salivate over I don’t buy that at all.

Beagle tradeable? :lol:

too much term, and dollar.  It would take a grade A prospect and a second (maybe a first depending on the prospect) to get any team to take Beagle.  Yes Beagle, when healthy, plays a role fir us, but that role can be filled by a younger player and for a lot less money.  Look at Dowd in Washington.  They replaced Beagle with a younger, and much cheaper player.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Beagle tradeable? :lol:

too much term, and dollar.  It would take a grade A prospect and a second (maybe a first depending on the prospect) to get any team to take Beagle.  Yes Beagle, when healthy, plays a role fir us, but that role can be filled by a younger player and for a lot less money.  Look at Dowd in Washington.  They replaced Beagle with a younger, and much cheaper player.  

His cap hit doesn’t matter in this discussion. He’s a great 4th line center. That would fit on a team like St. Louis

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No expectations.  Now, in these last 30 games there are expectations, and there is pressure.  Poor systems and passive philosophy will stand out more now, than when there were no expectations.  

That doesn’t make any sense other wise they would have been exposed to teams fighting for playoff spots the last 2 years.

Instead people were complaining we were winning games in March and not helping our lottery odds 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Why? We have other players for that. 

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No expectations.  Now, in these last 30 games there are expectations, and there is pressure.  Poor systems and passive philosophy will stand out more now, than when there were no expectations.  

Like who? Bo needs to show real leadership

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

His cap hit doesn’t matter in this discussion. He’s a great 4th line center. That would fit on a team like St. Louis

IMO (in the cap era) a player’s trade value cannot be determined without considering his contract - both cap and term.  Yes, Beagle plays a role, but because of his contract he has negative trade value.  Loui, Sutter, Rooster, Baer, Benn, (I’d say) Myers too, all would cost us picks and prospects to dump.  

23 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Ok Here it is you want to know what’s going on with Bo, here it is. 

He’s been used as a shutdown centre because he’s the best player we have that can handle those minutes. He’s worn that responsibility and as team captain on his sleeve. That’s what Bo is doing to try and help this team win.

A defensive forward he’s walked away from being the retaliator because he doesn’t want to be in the box while his team try’s to kill off a pentaly or avoid fighting major because he would be in the box for minutes while the other teams top players are out. He isn’t hitting as much because he doesn’t want to get caught of position. He’s just as gritty As he’s always been along the boards. But he also has the responsibility to provide secondary scoring.

He’s probably still going to get better in all aspects of the game but this has been no easy task for the first year captain.

Green was his coach last year and the year before

Get that .... But playing scared won't win a Stanley cup

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, longsuffering said:

Like who? Bo needs to show real leadership

Leadership can be displayed in other forms than running around hitting people and fighting.

Let me show you a list of current captains. Theres maybe 2 or 3 that fit the mold of CDCs perfect Bo.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_2020_captains.html

Funny... I dont see lucic on there... which is basically what half of CDC is describing. 

Also worth noting that bo is the 3rd youngest captain on this list. Maybe you guys can cut him a little slack?

• Cheers 2

Just now, 73 Percent said:

Leadership can be displayed in other forms than running around hitting people and fighting.

Let me show you a list of current captains. Theres maybe 2 or 3 that fit the mold of CDCs perfect Bo.

Funny... I dont see lucic on there... which is basically what half of CDC is describing. 

Also worth noting that bo is the 3rd youngest captain on this list. Maybe you guys can cut him a little slack?

Slack does not win Stanley cups

1 minute ago, longsuffering said:

Slack does not win Stanley cups

Neither does a team centered around 22 year olds...

Trade petey bo brock and hughes then?

You're grasping at straws here.

Edited by 73 Percent

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Amazing what playing for a team that wins more than loses does to a player's development.  Miller (I *think*) has NEVER missed the post-season as a NHLer (at least while he was on a NHL roster.  Compare that to Horvat, save this season, has ALWAYS been on a lottery pick team as a NHLer.  On a team with the most cumulative losses in the previous three seasons.  That does something to a players psyche.  This is why "tanking" for several seasons - while yielding you a greater chance of higher picks - often leads you to a team like the Oilers.  In a state of perpetual "rebuilding".  You get so used to losing...it almost becomes ingrained in you.

As an aside to this...

The old Canuck rosters sucked so bad and were perennial losers, but Vancouver was not thought of as a place of losing culture or a where careers went to die. It used to be one of the most expensive places to win two points in the league. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Why? We have other players for that. 

Nobody has stepped up to do that, Captain should lead by example. Does Chara or Jamie Benn sit back and do nothing or do they get in the fray when things go astray? 

4 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Mikko Koivu in his prime is what I hope Horvat becomes. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Nobody has stepped up to do that, Captain should lead by example. Does Chara or Jamie Benn sit back and do nothing or do they get in the fray when things go astray? 

Does Crosby or mcdavid?

landeskog?

OEL

Eichel

Giordano

Staal

Toews 

Barkov

Kopitar

Josi

Koivu

Lee

Couture 

Peitrangelo

Stamkos

Tavares

Any of those guys fit your unrealistic mold of power forward captain? 

Also why would you choose Jamie benn as an example? What has that bum won lol.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

IMO (in the cap era) a player’s trade value cannot be determined without considering his contract - both cap and term.  Yes, Beagle plays a role, but because of his contract he has negative trade value.  Loui, Sutter, Rooster, Baer, Benn, (I’d say) Myers too, all would cost us picks and prospects to dump.  

The whole point of what I’m saying is there is no reason to trade Beagle. No AHL plug is going to do a better job on the 4th line. 

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Does Crosby or mcdavid?

landeskog?

OEL

Eichel

Giordano

Staal

Toews 

Barkov

Kopitar

Josi

Koivu

Lee

Couture 

Peitrangelo

Stamkos

Tavares

Any of those guys fit your unrealistic mold of power forward captain? 

Give me a break, Would Landeskog make a big hit to energize his team or drop the gloves if Mack got run...Yes as would Piterangelo, Toews, Crysby hacks and whacks when he is mad and has had a fight or 3. Staal in his younger years was more abrasive, Eric that is. Jordan I doubt would.

As for the rest, none have won a cup or gone to the finals leading their team. Landeskog hasn't either but he isn't a pushover .

All I am saying is if your team is struggling, or 1 of your teammates gets run. The Captain would be LEADING by example if he dropped the gloves, or went out and tried to energize his team with finishing his checks and crashing and banging a bit. Not asking for a Goon to emerge from Bo

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Neither does a team centered around 22 year olds...

Trade petey bo brock and hughes then?

You're grasping at straws here.

Our core averages to 22 I think.  How old will that number need to be before we are ready to really compete?  24-26 is my guess.  

• Like 1