The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Columbus Blue Jackets at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 08, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, bree2 said:

look Benning wanted another top six and having Brock on the team is what this team needs.  Jake is okay but he is not Brock or Toffoli. , maybe one day he will get there but he has had 5 years and he is still trying to get there. with Brock and Toffoli they are already here.   I doubt Benning Trades Brock and he is also hoping to keep Toffoli, 

JB could sell high on Jake this off season. He is a pending RFA and if team sees him as a 3rd liner how much will they want to pay him? They have to save wherever they can. Definitely can see it being possible if Toffoli stays. Then you allow Mac a spot and give Lind a shot to make it as well or keep leivo around for a bit

Edited by Canuckster86
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

Green like Mac, he’s said it many times. 

Bailey looked like a lost puppy out there. I don’t know what people see in that 

"Justin Bailey:  27 goals, 19 assists in 49 games...   Big and tough, would fit with the Horvat line.  Got a few looks up with the big team, but not really enough to give him a chance.  Plus/Minus of +11."

He sat mostly in the press box without a fair chance.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

"Justin Bailey:  27 goals, 19 assists in 49 games...   Big and tough, would fit with the Horvat line.  Got a few looks up with the big team, but not really enough to give him a chance.  Plus/Minus of +11."

He sat in the press box without a fair chance.

I guess I just question why he a RFA wasn’t offered a contract and became a UFA. Why he couldn’t stick on a team like Buffalo. AHL stats can be very misleading when the guys in his mid 20’s

Although I agree he didn’t get much of a chance. I didn’t really notice much of what I saw other then he skates really fast. I think Bailey is a bit of a pipe dream but I can’t argue with a need in our bottom 6. 

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

All Canuck fans ask for is visual hardworkIng effort every shift and no one complains. 

with Bo not seeing him hit you see it as not full effort....thats my opinion 

Visual Hardworking Effort: The Coaching Life of Willie Desjardins...in bookstores this summer.

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

I thought we actually played without passion (I do think guys make effort, except Loui:sick:) the whole game.  We get little sparks, but - unless we score - there is no flame.  And even then any flame goes out quickly.  IMO it’s a combination of older players who are just soft (that’s who they are) and a coach’s systems and philosophy that make for passive play.  Our young top players are getting more and more frustrated.  Now are they frustrated with the systems they have to play within?  Do they have confidence in those systems?  Do they have confidence in their coach?  

I saw your quote on the Boston/TBay game the other night, now that's take no prisoner playoff intensity!

I can't see our team play with that kind of fire, because I haven't seen it under Green's watch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

From my perspective, I want the Captain aka Bo to stand up for himself and his entire team. Get right in the middle of any scuffle when on the ice, or on his next shift go out and lay the body and HIT and show HIS team WON'T be pushed around like the Sedin era was. Captain has to lead by example, so asking him to be more aggressive when needed is not too much to ask. Not asking him to become Brashear night in night out. Asking him to play similar to Jamie Benn

I think what you're looking for is ufc.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, 6string said:

I saw your quote on the Boston/TBay game the other night, now that's take no prisoner playoff intensity!

I can't see our team play with that kind of fire, because I haven't seen it under Green's watch.

those are two of the top teams in the league, of course we are not there yet! our team will get there, maybe not this year tho.  half the teams that will make it  are probably not going to be like that. I remember Tampa last year, being one of the top teams and they were  out in the first round. 

8 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I think what you're looking for is ufc.

Not at all, but okay then 73. Just looking for the CAPTAIN to step in or show up when his teammates get run or the team needs a Jolt of energy and he has a couple shifts where he crashes and bangs. 

• Like 1

Just now, Canuckster86 said:

Not at all, but okay then 73. Just looking for the CAPTAIN to step in or show up when his teammates get run or the team needs a Jolt of energy and he has a couple shifts where he crashes and bangs. 

Why? We have other players for that. 

6 hours ago, bree2 said:

we lost 2-1 last night, I don't know where a lot of you believe the Canucks didn't play hard,

Petey= 1goal and I hit

Toffoli= 5 sog

Edler =3sog 2 hits

Pearson =3 sog and 4 hits

Virtanen =3 sog and 2 hits

Miller  = 2 sog 3 hits 

Myers= 1 sog 2 hits

Horvat =1 sog  good on the face offs

Gaudette =1 sog and horrible on Faceoffs

Hughes =1 sog 

they lost 2-1 because Jackets goalie was hot and stopping everything, go look at the games in the last few days and you will see some of the best teams lose, it happens. we have a young team  that has never been to the playoffs and they are still trying. cheer them on!!! 

You wanna show stats from the first 2 periods? You'll get your answer there. They played hard for 10 minutes. Really hard. Just really late is the problem with that. 

4 hours ago, Devron44 said:

The impressions I’ve been getting from some fans is Horvat is not doing his job or that they expected more once he dawned the C. I would suspect we’d be having the exact same conversations if someone else was wearing the C. Its classic Canucks talk. 

Having said that I think Bo can grow more as a captain and I honesty don’t even think he’s hit his ceiling yet. I see the similarities in him and Miller and Miller has just arrived as a player 2 years older then Bo. 

I understand the frustration of fans I do, I get it. We’ve “patiently” been waiting for playoff hockey. I say that loosely of course cause frankly we’ve never been a patient bunch. 50 years for some you you will do that. 

I wanna win bad but I see a bigger picture and I see Bo being the captain of a great team for years to come.

My expectations of Bo is that he played like he did in the last 3 seasons where he played like a captain. He used to try to drive plays, was super heavy along the walls, actually threw hits (as opposed to this year every hit he throws is purely intended on gaining body position rather than truly separating a guy from a puck), would make power moves, etc. 

He doesn't do that anymore. He plays like a conservative third liner. He used to play like Jannik Hansen, now he plays like Louie Eriksson but with better hands. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, MikeyD said:

My expectations of Bo is that he played like he did in the last 3 seasons where he played like a captain. He used to try to drive plays, was super heavy along the walls, actually threw hits (as opposed to this year every hit he throws is purely intended on gaining body position rather than truly separating a guy from a puck), would make power moves, etc. 

He doesn't do that anymore. He plays like a conservative third liner. He used to play like Jannik Hansen, now he plays like Louie Eriksson but with better hands. 

Green’s systems and philosophy are so passive it really hurts some players who need to be aggressive to be at their best.  

• Upvote 3
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, bree2 said:

those are two of the top teams in the league, of course we are not there yet! our team will get there, maybe not this year tho.  half the teams that will make it  are probably not going to be like that. I remember Tampa last year, being one of the top teams and they were  out in the first round. 

Tampa learned a lot from last year, they added some much needed push back into their lineup.

The Bruins game was as much about skating as it was about not backing down in any confrontation and that was my point. Playing with fire and intensity - hating the opponent.

I haven't seen that from this club under Green, only briefly last year with Schenn he was often pushing after the whistles.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I guess I just question why he a RFA wasn’t offered a contract and became a UFA. Why he couldn’t stick on a team like Buffalo. AHL stats can be very misleading when the guys in his mid 20’s

Although I agree he didn’t get much of a chance. I didn’t really notice much of what I saw other then he skates really fast. I think Bailey is a bit of a pipe dream but I can’t argue with a need in our bottom 6. 

From the AHL games I've watched he has good hands. They won't show up nearly as well in the nhl but his speed is upper echelon in the nhl and that'll give him room to use his decent hands. 

But more importantly is he's tenacious. Speed and a forecheck is always a recipe for success in the bottom six. I personally think he can be really versatile and has the skillset to play on the 2nd line. He's in my opinion better than 3 guys already on the team. Seriously think Graovac and Bailey are being severely overlooked as bottom six forwards. They play the right way for those two lines. Both have skill, both have size and implement a good forecheck. Sutter, Beagle, Roussel (up until last two games) and Eriksson don't provide enough for this team. They don't have the skill, they don't have the forecheck and they basically play to not get scored on. What's the point in having good faceoff stats if you're just gonna give the possession away anyways?

We'd all be salivating over a line of Motte, Graovac and Bailey/Mac. That's the line we've been dreaming of for the past 8 years. Speed, middle six skill and a punishing forecheck? Sounds a lot like how St. Louis dominates in games. 

30 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Ok Here it is you want to know what’s going on with Bo, here it is. 

He’s been used as a shutdown centre because he’s the best player we have that can handle those minutes. He’s worn that responsibility and as team captain on his sleeve. That’s what Bo is doing to try and help this team win.

A defensive forward he’s walked away from being the retaliator because he doesn’t want to be in the box while his team try’s to kill off a pentaly or avoid fighting major because he would be in the box for minutes while the other teams top players are out. He isn’t hitting as much because he doesn’t want to get caught of position. He’s just as gritty As he’s always been along the boards. But he also has the responsibility to provide secondary scoring.

He’s probably still going to get better in all aspects of the game but this has been no easy task for the first year captain.

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Green’s systems and philosophy are so passive it really hurts some players who need to be aggressive to be at their best.  

Green was his coach last year and the year before

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

From the AHL games I've watched he has good hands. They won't show up nearly as well in the nhl but his speed is upper echelon in the nhl and that'll give him room to use his decent hands. 

But more importantly is he's tenacious. Speed and a forecheck is always a recipe for success in the bottom six. I personally think he can be really versatile and has the skillset to play on the 2nd line. He's in my opinion better than 3 guys already on the team. Seriously think Graovac and Bailey are being severely overlooked as bottom six forwards. They play the right way for those two lines. Both have skill, both have size and implement a good forecheck. Sutter, Beagle, Roussel (up until last two games) and Eriksson don't provide enough for this team. They don't have the skill, they don't have the forecheck and they basically play to not get scored on. What's the point in having good faceoff stats if you're just gonna give the possession away anyways?

We'd all be salivating over a line of Motte, Graovac and Bailey/Mac. That's the line we've been dreaming of for the past 8 years. Speed, middle six skill and a punishing forecheck? Sounds a lot like how St. Louis dominates in games. 

St. Louis would take Beagle in a heart beat. I’m with you guys on LE, Sutter Roussel. I get it. But to say Graovac and Bailey would be a line to salivate over I don’t buy that at all.

52 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Why? We have other players for that. 

sorry , i could be off base but I think the point is Bo is the Captain and center of what this team is. 

what is this Canuck team? 

Sedin era... with Captain Hank was that considered a tough Canuck team era. If Bieksa was that era Captain would thing of been different. I actually think it may of been.

Captain is the face of the Teams identity 

crazy thing is, i don’t actually want this debate....i like Bo but a tougher Bo would great.

im not replying to this post so. Freeshots 

Edited by HockeyHarry

6 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Ok Here it is you want to know what’s going on with Bo, here it is. 

He’s been used as a shutdown centre because he’s the best player we have that can handle those minutes. He’s worn that responsibility and as team captain on his sleeve. That’s what Bo is doing to try and help this team win.

A defensive forward he’s walked away from being the retaliator because he doesn’t want to be in the box while his team try’s to kill off a pentaly or avoid fighting major because he would be in the box for minutes while the other teams top players are out. He isn’t hitting as much because he doesn’t want to get caught of position. He’s just as gritty As he’s always been along the boards. But he also has the responsibility to provide secondary scoring.

He’s probably still going to get better in all aspects of the game but this has been no easy task for the first year captain.

Green was his coach last year and the year before

No expectations.  Now, in these last 30 games there are expectations, and there is pressure.  Poor systems and passive philosophy will stand out more now, than when there were no expectations.  

1 minute ago, HockeyHarry said:

sorry , i could be off base but I think the point is Bo is the Captain and center of what this team is. 

what is this Canuck team? 

Sedin era... with Captain Hank was that considered a tough team era. If Bieksa was that era Captain would thing of been different. I actually think it may of been.

Captain is the face of the Teams identity 

crazy thing is, i don’t actually want this debate....i like Bo but a tougher Bo would great.

im not replying to this post so. Freeshots 

Googleieboogilie

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

***signs Sutter and Beagle.   "K Bo you're gonna be our shutdown guy, here's Eriksson"  

Sutter is old news. JB probably gets that by now. I’m wondering if he would have been that guy they signed If he didn’t have so many injuries. It’s clearly effected his play