The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Closing Fish Farms

Fred65

1 hour ago, taxi said:

All salmon sushi has been frozen first before consumption by humans in BC.

I'm pretty sure it applies to wild salmon (though not explicitly stated in the BCCDC health guidelines).

The freezing is to get rid of parasites that the wild salmon acquire from eating other fish in the wild.  Farmed fish is generally free from these parasites because

they are fed pellets.

My buddy works in the Salmon farming industry and he told me boxes of fresh farmed salmon are shipped to distributors and then to japanese restaurants unfrozen.  I have seen

the sushi chefs take fresh salmon out of these boxes and prepare them straight to the table.

You can easily tell whether a fish, especially salmon has been frozen.  The texture is just not the same.  Farmed salmon served at sushi joints do not taste like they've been frozen.  

http://sushieveryday.com/freezing-salmon-sushi/

• 1 month later...

I wonder what the inland farm in Florida means for the fish farms 

In a series of indoor tanks 40 miles south west of Miami, Florida, five million fish are swimming in circles a very long way from home.

The fish in question are Atlantic salmon, which are far more typically found in the cold waters of Norway's fjords or Scotland's lochs.

As the species is not native to Florida, and would be unable to cope with the state's tropical heat, the water tanks are kept well chilled, and housed in a vast, air-conditioned and heavily insulated warehouse-like building.

The facility, called the Bluehouse, opened its first phase last year, and intends to be the world's largest land-based fish farm.

Targeting an initial production of 9,500 metric tonnes of fish per year, its owner - Atlantic Sapphire - plans to increase that to 222,000 tonnes by 2031, enough to provide 41% of current US annual salmon consumption, or a billion meals.