The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 30, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, AC30 said:

The winning culture that reached its apex in 2011 began to take root with Brian Burke Crawford and Naslund then shifted onto Gillis AV Luongo and the Sedins 

In comes Benning and 8 years later our team rests on Benning Green and Horvat 

and....

they introduced the Sedins and Shaw

hopefully we can get back to that winning culture 

but they might have to start again after 8 years of spinning their tires - get the right GM and coach back into the system much like BB and Crawford began 20 plus years ago 

The question is how patient is Aqua-man?

He'll be as patient as he needs to be, until fans stop showing up for games. 

When money is the matter, things will change. As much as he loves the Canucks, he's in it to make money and profit off of fans. Well, if you don't win, the fans will stop coming, and if apathy sets in, maybe even stop purchasing merchandise. That is a harder place to come out of. So he better not be screwing around, and start taking things seriously. 

Even Eugene Melnyk, as cheap as he was, has now a Senators team on the rise. Lots of young players together. They're going to be good. 

We should be good now, but for whatever reason, we are not. If Benning goes, I'd love to see, Jeff Gorton, former GM of the Rangers come. If for nothing else than the fact that they won the lottery twice. If he could bring that luck to the Canucks, would help us tremendously. Imagine if we won the lottery next year and got Shane Wright. With that being said, I would not be surprised if Benning traded that 2022 pick, to salvage his career and save himself from being fired. Would be the most Canuck thing to happen. 

17 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Oh man. 

Well, if things don't turn a corner soon, then I can't really see anything beyond 25, maybe 30 wins? 

At the current rate that we're going, I think this could very well be Green's last season behind the bench. I'm not sure what else Benning can do. He's gotten rid of the bad contracts, he's drafted and made trades for a top six. He's improved depth, gotten some decent middle six and bottom six help. Benning for all of his mistakes, can't coach this team. That's on Green and his staff. 

So the fact that they're losing, is on Green, his systems, and his staff. They're not getting the best out of this current group of players. 

Should Benning go? Probably yeah. He's had 8 years to run with this team, build it up. Is he the man to bring the organization to contention status? Probably not. 

Is Green that coach to help bring these players and the team to not just playoff contender, but Cup contender status? Probably not. Unless he can prove that, I'm not really convinced, and I like him. Inevitably, though, I think his insistence on having Baumgartner on the coaching staff will ultimately be his downfall. The man is not a good assistant coach. 

I think the Canucks will probably be, if things don't turn around by the end of this month, will finish at the bottom of the division, and near dead last in the conference. There's still some time, but not a lot of time left, or not much room for error. These games matter, and they count. Every point. Calgary and Edmonton it seems will be battling for the division title. If we do somehow seem to recover, then I can see us being a middle of the pack team in the Western Conference. But that's about it. 

Green will use the same system, if it works for half the season against teams that are sleeping and or have injury problems. Then he will preetch that his system works because they won...like last game he said it was a tight game.  Kept the oilers in check for 5 on 5 and they lost 2-1 if boeser didn't score in the last 5 seconds of the game.  then it would of been 2-0.  If it's not a blow out and a  close game, we don't have puck luck or the other goalie was hotter then ours.. always same excuses. He ain't going no where fast cause of the close games they always seem to have... 

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

We should be good now, but for whatever reason, we are not. If Benning goes, I'd love to see, Jeff Gorton, former GM of the Rangers come. If for nothing else than the fact that they won the lottery twice. If he could bring that luck to the Canucks, would help us tremendously. Imagine if we won the lottery next year and got Shane Wright. With that being said, I would not be surprised if Benning traded that 2022 pick, to salvage his career and save himself from being fired. Would be the most Canuck thing to happen. 

C'mon dude, you're not writing this team off already, are you?!!!  Talkin' all that first round lottery stuff!  Have some faith!  There could be a St. Louis Blues situation brewing in Vancouver.....they just have to fire the coach and then the team comes together for a big run ::D

On 10/31/2021 at 7:52 PM, Pure961089 said:

Watched this team for many years, you can always tell when the Canucks are about to go into or break out of a slump.  When the Canucks play badly and still win games you know the wins won't last, because they haven't bought into the coach's system. When they don't pay the price to go through the process you know sooner or later a slump is coming, dead giveaway.  The opposite thing can be said for breaking out of a slump, having consistency within the coach's system, paying attention to details and the defensive side of the game.  The sooner the players buy in to Green's system and understand  winning and offence comes from, and flows through team defence the better.  Hate to say it but the newer players on this team don't trust each other just yet, trying to do each others jobs instead of trusting in their teammate to get their job done.  I'm hoping by the New Year the Canucks will have worked out the kinks, they have too talented a team to remain this bad.  

I’ll say it again. It’s about the process. The Canucks will lose no matter what coach they have if they don’t follow a system of discipline.  Watch them start to play way better now they’re starting to get rewarded for hard their work.   The PP and PK need a serious overhaul. If you’re looking to change things up with coaching start there.