The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Strength on LHD (RHD compliments)

HKSR

On 12/13/2021 at 9:34 PM, mll said:

All of media constantly insist that the only player deemed completed untouchable in Arizona is Chychrun.  

As Armstrong admitted they are tanking.  They want to get as many draft picks and as quickly as possible to build that thing up quickly.  Their most important adds have been in the amateur scouting department - notably added Tampa's number 2.  

Don't see them giving up draft picks or being all that interested in Boeser.  He's 2 years to UFA with a 7.5M qualifying offer - ie why spend as much when they are tanking and he might not even stick around for their rebuild.  

Kessel is a TDL trade asset.  He only has 1M in salary - so about 250K left to be paid at the TDL.  Last season using a 3rd team to retain 25% of the cap hit cost only a 5th round pick - would be 1.7M at 75% retained.    Arizona should be able to get a decent pick towards their rebuild.

Apparently not... lol

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/amp/nhl_rumor_coyotes_listening_on_jakob_chychrun_interest_in_anton_khudobin_and_covid_next_steps/s1_16442_36727733

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-urgency-covid-19-grows-pausing-schedule-will-last-resort/

" Arizona GM Bill Armstrong refused to comment when asked, but it now sounds like the Coyotes are gauging the market on Jakob Chychrun. I’ve heard the ask is massive, but that doesn’t mean opponents are running away. He’s signed for three more years at a very reasonable $4.6 million AAV and is a terrific player. This is one to watch."

-Elliott Friedman

Edited by HKSR

27 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Apparently not... lol

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/amp/nhl_rumor_coyotes_listening_on_jakob_chychrun_interest_in_anton_khudobin_and_covid_next_steps/s1_16442_36727733

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-urgency-covid-19-grows-pausing-schedule-will-last-resort/

" Arizona GM Bill Armstrong refused to comment when asked, but it now sounds like the Coyotes are gauging the market on Jakob Chychrun. I’ve heard the ask is massive, but that doesn’t mean opponents are running away. He’s signed for three more years at a very reasonable $4.6 million AAV and is a terrific player. This is one to watch."

-Elliott Friedman

I was going to post that too.  It's a new development - Friedman even writes "but it now sounds".  

Wonder if they now realise that they are much further away and need multiple drafts to rebuild their team.  He's only 23 (2016 draft), so you'd think they'll want draft picks or maybe high prospects much younger than him, if they now believe he will be too old to be part of their core.

8 minutes ago, mll said:

I was going to post that too.  It's a new development - Friedman even writes "but it now sounds".  

Wonder if they now realise that they are much further away and need multiple drafts to rebuild their team.  He's only 23 (2016 draft), so you'd think they'll want draft picks or maybe high prospects much younger than him, if they now believe he will be too old to be part of their core.

Maybe, or they may realize he's their biggest bargaining chip, and if he can bring in a haul, then why not?  I'd suspect they'd want an impact player back plus a high prospect, plus a pick or two.  Boeser, Rathbone, 2nd round pick... that'd be close.  I'd almost say the Canucks would have to add another prospect or high pick simply because of the cap hit that Chychrun is at.  Talk about a cost controlled impact player... 4.6M AAV for a defenceman like that is a steal.

Being able to play Hughes, OEL, and Chychrun at only 20min each would mean they would almost always be impactful every shift they got.

Edited by HKSR

23 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Maybe, or they may realize he's their biggest bargaining chip, and if he can bring in a haul, then why not?  I'd suspect they'd want an impact player back plus a high prospect, plus a pick or two.  Boeser, Rathbone, 2nd round pick... that'd be close.  I'd almost say the Canucks would have to add another prospect or high pick simply because of the cap hit that Chychrun is at.  Talk about a cost controlled impact player... 4.6M AAV for a defenceman like that is a steal.

Being able to play Hughes, OEL, and Chychrun at only 20min each would mean they would almost always be impactful every shift they got.

We don't have the same assessment of the situation.  

A D1 is one of the hardest piece to find.  If Arizona is willing to give him up a 23 year old D1 it's probably because they don't think they'll be competitive any time soon.  Boeser is older and 2 years to UFA with a 7.5M qualifying offer which he can just sign and then move on.  Why spend that kind of cash when they seem to be having cash issues and why take a player that close to UFA.   

I just don't see why that would appeal to Arizona - they aren't going to be competing any time soon.

Edited by mll

Just now, mll said:

We don't have the same assessment of the situation.  

A D1 is one of the hardest piece to find.  If Arizona is willing to give him up a 23 year old D1 it's probably because they don't think they'll be competitive any time soon.  Boeser is older and 2 years to UFA with a 7.5M qualifying offer which he can just sign and then move on.  Why spend that kind of cash when they seem to be having cash issues and why take a player that close to UFA.   

I just don't why that would appeal to Arizona - they aren't going to be competing any time soon.

Agree to disagree.  They are losing Kessel this year as well.  Boeser is pretty much a younger version.

They lose Chychrun, Rathbone is a Chychrun lite.

They gain other pieces as well.  Picks and prospects. 

Kessel and Chychrun out = $11.4M

Boeser in with QO = $7.5M

Savings of nearly $4M while not really losing much of a step from where they are now. 

Even with Rathbone in, they still save $3M.

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Agree to disagree.  They are losing Kessel this year as well.  Boeser is pretty much a younger version.

They lose Chychrun, Rathbone is a Chychrun lite.

They gain other pieces as well.  Picks and prospects. 

Kessel and Chychrun out = $11.4M

Boeser in with QO = $7.5M

Savings of nearly $4M while not really losing much of a step from where they are now. 

Even with Rathbone in, they still save $3M.

Why would they care about replacing Kessel when Armstrong pretty much admits to LeBrun that they are deliberately tanking.  They want to draft high and often.  

19 minutes ago, mll said:

Why would they care about replacing Kessel when Armstrong pretty much admits to LeBrun that they are deliberately tanking.  They want to draft high and often.  

Umm... because they still want to have a core to work with?  If they are truly blowing it all up, why don't they move these guys while they're at it:

Keller is 23

Schmaltz is 25

Crouse is 24

Timmins is 23

Boeser is 24.  He fits right into that age group and can grow with them. 

When their current draft picks start hitting their stride in the NHL, the core guys above will be hitting their prime which is perfect.  You can't just blow it all up and have a bunch of 18 to 21 year olds carrying the team.  That's asking for failure.

Heck, the Canucks have fantastic young players like Petey, Hughes, Podz, and Hogs, but take away Bo, JT Miller, and Demko... then see what you've got.

Oh, and just a thought, but adding Boeser in place of Kessel this year won't change a damn thing about them tanking or not this year lmao.

Edited by HKSR

18 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Umm... because they still want to have a core to work with?  If they are truly blowing it all up, why don't they move these guys while they're at it:

Keller is 23

Schmaltz is 25

Crouse is 24

Timmins is 23

Boeser is 24.  He fits right into that age group and can grow with them. 

When their current draft picks start hitting their stride in the NHL, the core guys above will be hitting their prime which is perfect.  You can't just blow it all up and have a bunch of 18 to 21 year olds carrying the team.  That's asking for failure.

LeBrun talked to Armstrong who told him they are going for a scorched earth rebuild.  He made it clear that they aren't interested in a re-load and have decided to go all in in the tear down route.  They don't want to just make the playoffs but become a great team and he strongly believes that it has to be done through the draft.  

He talks of why it was so important to add to their amateur scouting department.  They have a long road ahead of them and right now the focus is about drafting and development.  

Given their plans, just can't see them being interested in Boeser.  

Edited by mll

1 minute ago, mll said:

LeBrun talked to Armstrong who told him they are going for a scorched earth rebuild.  He made it clear that they aren't interested in a re-load and have decided to go all in in the tear down route.  They don't want to just make the playoffs but become a great team and he strongly believes that it has to be done through the draft.  

He talks of why it was so important to add to their amateur scouting department.  They have a long road ahead of them and right now the focus is about drafting and development.  

Given their plans, just can't see them being interested in Boeser.  

Like I said before, agree to disagree.

Personally, I believe if they truly want to have a great team, they need guys that are staggered in age.  A set group of core guys hitting their prime, while draft picks from a few years prior just starting to make an impact.

Look at Tampa... Kucherov, Vasilevsky, Stamkos, Palat, Hedman all in their prime.  Complimented by Cirelli, Sergachev, Cernak, Foote all beginning to or already hitting their stride on cap friendly deals.

You can draft a core of Kucherov, McDavid, Draisatl, Hedman, and Makar, but there's no way you could pay them all what they deserve in their prime.  Nor could you provide them any depth.  You need a plan that spans several years of development.

Just now, HKSR said:

Like I said before, agree to disagree.

Personally, I believe if they truly want to have a great team, they need guys that are staggered in age.  A set group of core guys hitting their prime, while draft picks from a few years prior just starting to make an impact.

Look at Tampa... Kucherov, Vasilevsky, Stamkos, Palat, Hedman all in their prime.  Complimented by Cirelli, Sergachev, Cernak, Foote all beginning to or already hitting their stride on cap friendly deals.

You can draft a core of Kucherov, McDavid, Draisatl, Hedman, and Makar, but there's no way you could pay them all what they deserve in their prime.  Nor could you provide them any depth.  You need a plan that spans several years of development.

I also think it makes more sense to spread the age group so it's like a conveyor belt - older players get replaced by younger player.  Helps to manage the cap and the window remains open.

That's not what Arizona is doing though.  Armstrong wants to tear everything down and accumulate draft picks as he explained to LeBrun.  Given his plans, I doubt he'd have any kind of interest in Boeser.