The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Taxi Squads Again - What do Canucks do?

Rate this topic

Provost

4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Hopefully with a new President and soon a new GM running things they will see it that way. Dipietro needs to play, play him through his struggles in my opinion and like you said your DEVELOPING him not a 26 yr old Martin who is doing well for us. That said this question needs answered...Do we want to just win as many AHL games as possible WHILE risking prospect development OR are we willing to play prospects DURING a SLUMP to help them keep active and work THROUGH said slumps... IF the management and coaching staff in Abbotsford are NOT on board then things need to be changed.

Silovs AND Dipietro barely played last season...now we are running 3 G in the AHL and the one playing the most lately is NOT named Silovs or Dipietro...instead they sit cold on the bench or press box and they are PRACTICING but NOT playing as much as they likely should.

I agree, bring 1 G up to taxi squad for  a period of time to work with Ian Clark, then send him back down and allow the same to happen with a different G. As much as fans would like to see Klimovich get a call up or NHL game this year, do NOT do it! Let him learn the game in the AHL with low expectations...sounds like he is learning quickly from GM Johnson's comments he is impressed with the kid, so let the KID stay on that same path.

I think there needs to be a balance of winning and development. You have to develop youngsters and try to win games. I don't suspect Martin to keep it up but my point would be ride him while he's high, that way Abbotsford can still compete for a playoff spot. When he starts to struggle then send Silovs back and bring in Martin. That way there's internal competition as well which can push DiPietro and Silovs to battle for the net. It would all be temporary.

5 hours ago, GB5 said:

It's not Abby's call. Martin is a Van Canuck property and meets the criteria better than the youngsters.

That's a good point. All 3 goalies are Canucks property. Canucks will ultimate get to decide regardless of what Abbotsford wants.

I would hope they allow Abbotsford to ride Martin while he's hot, I don't think he will be forever. He's 5-0-1 and they're right in the thick of things in a playoff spot being 5th in the division. This year the top 7 teams in the pacific division make the playoffs. The 1st place team gets a bye to the 2nd round and the 2nd-7th place teams play each other in the 1st round in a best of 3 series.

I would prefer us to create a further gap from 7th place than we have right now. Given how close things are right now, one losing streak and we could easily fall out of the top 7 and we would be trying to dig ourselves out of a hole the rest of the way.

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think there needs to be a balance of winning and development. You have to develop youngsters and try to win games. I don't suspect Martin to keep it up but my point would be ride him while he's high, that way Abbotsford can still compete for a playoff spot. When he starts to struggle then send Silovs back and bring in Martin. That way there's internal competition as well which can push DiPietro and Silovs to battle for the net. It would all be temporary.

That's a good point. All 3 goalies are Canucks property. Canucks will ultimate get to decide regardless of what Abbotsford wants.

I would hope they allow Abbotsford to ride Martin while he's hot, I don't think he will be forever. He's 5-0-1 and they're right in the thick of things in a playoff spot being 5th in the division. This year the top 7 teams in the pacific division make the playoffs. The 1st place team gets a bye to the 2nd round and the 2nd-7th place teams play each other in the 1st round in a best of 3 series.

I would prefer us to create a further gap from 7th place than we have right now. Given how close things are right now, one losing streak and we could easily fall out of the top 7 and we would be trying to dig ourselves out of a hole the rest of the way.

The prudent option, is to play DiPietro and give Martin & others like him (fringe NHL'ers), a legit chance before trading assets for similar - but more proven - type players.  I understand, the Abby roster was assembled to win - for business reason, rather than to focus on prospects.  

Kudos in JB, for giving JR the young core, rather than what Gillis, passed onto JB.  

On 12/27/2021 at 7:43 PM, ShawnAntoski said:

Kudos in JB, for giving JR the young core, rather than what Gillis, passed onto JB.  

There is a big difference between the 2 regimes though.

1. Gillis had a cup winning caliber team so he traded picks and signed players to long deals with NMC to lower the cap hit a bit

2. Benning had an aging team he chose not to trade veteran players for future assets, then went out and signed numerous expensive UFA's tying tons of cap space up long term, all while not weaponizing that cap space to take dead cap on to get good young players or picks in return. He selected a handful of current Canucks via the draft but traded away too many picks during a rebuild. We are in an okay spot, but we have nothing in the propsect pipeline nor do we have exta picks for the next GM to try to fill that hole.

Be interesting to see who the new GM is, hope its not another Grandpa Jim old buddy and we get someone else here. Then, let's see that persons vision for the team going forward and what they chose to do with the current team and some key players needing new contracts over the next 2-3 years ( JT, Bo, Boeser, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Pettersson)

On 12/29/2021 at 6:07 AM, Canuckster86 said:

There is a big difference between the 2 regimes though.

1. Gillis had a cup winning caliber team so he traded picks and signed players to long deals with NMC to lower the cap hit a bit

2. Benning had an aging team he chose not to trade veteran players for future assets, then went out and signed numerous expensive UFA's tying tons of cap space up long term, all while not weaponizing that cap space to take dead cap on to get good young players or picks in return. He selected a handful of current Canucks via the draft but traded away too many picks during a rebuild. We are in an okay spot, but we have nothing in the propsect pipeline nor do we have exta picks for the next GM to try to fill that hole.

Be interesting to see who the new GM is, hope its not another Grandpa Jim old buddy and we get someone else here. Then, let's see that persons vision for the team going forward and what they chose to do with the current team and some key players needing new contracts over the next 2-3 years ( JT, Bo, Boeser, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Pettersson)

Good points and well aware of both regimes: Gillis has the trophies and Benning has the picks.   I agree with hindsight, both GM's had there mistakes and successes: Gillis has his outbox of the box thinking, which led to good results and not so much in others - especially, in the draft; and for JB, it was his lack of experience, as the top dog that ultimately led to some notable mistakes: in FA and the resigning of Green

Anyways, looking forward to what JR & crew can do - hopefully, it is not all hype.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1