The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rogers arena upgrades, new practice rink, Abbotsford rink upgrades

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

11 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

This whole story is being pumped by Thomas Drance.  He got a chance to ask a question to Jim Rutherford on what Jim will be doing and what Patrik will be doing.  Rutherford said that he'll let Patrik do his own GM day to day stuff and that Rutherford will have lots of side projects like upgrades to some facilities (then he goes to list Rogers Arena, practice facility, Abbotsford, etc).  

Thomas Drance then spent all day exaggerating how bad our facilities are and how this is a key component of it all.  Then later in the day they had a former player and asked him the question "Are new practice facilities a big factor in free agents choosing to sign with a new team?" and the player essentially said no, much to the host's surprise.  

I think players just want to go a place where they know they can win. But I think new facilities, and practice facilities, etc, etc., all have some sort of attraction to them. If those facilities and upgrades help give every inch to help players recoveries, growth in their games, relaxation, etc. All of those things, I’d like to believe do matter to some degree to them. If those things also help them win, then all the more they become even that much more important. Drance can come across as a dick sometimes, but I think the hate for him in this city can sometimes be overblown, much like this fan base (and this includes myself). 

14 minutes ago, Crimson-JH said:

Not just that, we need nice upgraded seats like Seattle and VGK…

This only means that the cost of going to games could rise as well. 

I mean, there’s a reason why beer is so damn expensive in Seattle’s arena. They have to pay for those new facilities somehow

Edited by N4ZZY

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

This only means that the cost of going to games could rise as well. 

I mean, there’s a reason why beer is so damn expensive in Seattle’s arena. They have to pay for those new facilities somehow

No problem for me, and I don’t drink beer. Lol 

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I think players just want to go a place where they know they can win. But I think new facilities, and practice facilities, etc, etc., all have some sort of attraction to them. If those facilities and upgrades help give every inch to help players recoveries, growth in their games, relaxation, etc. All of those things, I’d like to believe do matter to some degree to them. If those things also help them win, then all the more they become even that much more important. Drance can come across as a dick sometimes, but I think the hate for him in this city can sometimes be overblown, much like this fan base (and this includes myself). 

The former player just said that the facilities matter if they're in a really bad shape. 

As far as Drance, he really brings it on himself with the constant negativity and being Captain Hindsight. 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

The former player just said that the facilities matter if they're in a really bad shape. 

As far as Drance, he really brings it on himself with the constant negativity and being Captain Hindsight. 

I’d understand that. If the facilities are aging, it definitely affects players wanting to come here. 

Who wants to play in aging, run down facilities? And what does it speak of ownership and their desire to win. Doesn’t say much, does it? 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

I’d understand that. If the facilities are aging, it definitely affects players wanting to come here. 

Who wants to play in aging, run down facilities? And what does it speak of ownership and their desire to win. Doesn’t say much, does it? 

I don’t know Drance very well. Just that I hear a lot of negativity about him

Rogers Arena is now 27 years old(hard to believe) but it’s still a nice building…concourse is a bit small, just needs new Seats in the bowls and maybe railings going up the steps in each section(not too many arenas without as its standard for new Sports Buildings).

Edited by Mj2345

3 hours ago, Mj2345 said:

Rogers Arena is now 27 years old(hard to believe) but it’s still a nice building…concourse is a bit small, just needs new Seats in the bowls and maybe railings going up the steps in each section(not too many arenas without as its standard for new Sports Buildings).

NVM

Edited by skeena1
NVM.