The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canadiens trade Ben Chiarot to Panthers for Ty Smilanic, 2022 4th-round pick, 2023 1st-round pick

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

An overpayment (embarrasingly bad) was the Loser Leafs giving up a top 20 first for renting Foligno.  This Chiarot deal is fair, and actually (by comparison) a steal.  

And a third for Red Light Ritich. 

2 hours ago, J-P said:

True, but I see it as a mean of clearing cap space. E g. Motte for a pick and a 1 mil player to replace him (instead of signing him to 2.5 mil+), Boeser for a combination of pick/s and cheaper player/s. Hopefully management has a clear plan regarding this.

But agree, these moves in themselves aren't moving the needle, still feel though that we could get more now vs the off-season.

But those players will all have to be replaced, likely for similar cap hits.

• Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, stawns said:

But those players will all have to be replaced, likely for similar cap hits.

Not really.

Example:

Boeser -> 4th liner or bottom pairing D + 1 or 2 picks

Motte -> 2nd round pick

Next season Boeser is replaced by Hoglander, ELC or cheap FA. Motte is replaced by Lockwood, ELC or cheap FA. The season after 1-2 of the picks are on the roster + 1-2 players from Abby. Hoglander has a good season but will resign for far less than Boeser and either play top 6 or be an efficient 3rd liner.

I realize it might mean difficulties short term, but imo that's how you build a contender over time. Move out the players with high cap hits that aren't difference makers and replace them with cheaper alternatives. (You could argue Motte is a difference maker but not over 3-4 years at the projected cap hit imo.)

In my eyes this is what JR & co means when they say we need to get faster and gain cap. And so I'm thinking doing these moves at the deadline rather than off-season will speed up the process as the returns will be more beneficial now.

But I'm no GM - which is definitely a good thing - just don't see how keeping all players to achieve missing the playoffs or losing in the first round moves us forward.

But of course bigger moves would make more of a difference, I'm not buying that nobody's going to offer something that can't be refused for Miller or Myers or Horvat, let's see what the eastern teams do Monday when the competition starts to load up.

6 minutes ago, awalk said:

Montreal really going for the aggressive rebuild here, I like it.

They know what's up. And while MTL, ANA, NJ, LA,  etc. are ready to compete with their fast, young core, the Canucks will have big contracts tied up with 30+ year old players (Miller, Bo, OEL).  I wish they'd do a rebuild properly. Benning couldn't do it, he caved to the pressure of trying to make the Aquas happy with promised playoffs. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

They know what's up. And while MTL, ANA, NJ, LA,  etc. are ready to compete with their fast, young core, the Canucks will have big contracts tied up with 30+ year old players (Miller, Bo, OEL).  I wish they'd do a rebuild properly. Benning couldn't do it, he caved to the pressure of trying to make the Aquas happy with promised playoffs. 

Yeah and I really don't envy our new management team here because we aren't in a reasonable position to go for a rebuild now, so retool it is again.

Will be interesting to see who is better in a few years Canucks vs Habs... rebuilds don't often work as well as planned (see: Edmonton), but I have a ton of respect for Gorton and think he and Hughes are going to do a great job in MTL.

13 minutes ago, awalk said:

Yeah and I really don't envy our new management team here because we aren't in a reasonable position to go for a rebuild now, so retool it is again.

Will be interesting to see who is better in a few years Canucks vs Habs... rebuilds don't often work as well as planned (see: Edmonton), but I have a ton of respect for Gorton and think he and Hughes are going to do a great job in MTL.

My concern is what ANA and LA are doing (divisional opponents). Maybe by then CGY, EDM and VGK will be on a downward slope? I think the Canucks need better prospects, to get younger and faster. I really like JT, but dang, he would fetch a ton in a return.