The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Horse Racing Thread

UnkNuk

• UnkNuk changed the title to Horse Racing Thread

Decisions, decisions.

Looking at the past performances, Epicenter will probably be a fairly heavy favourite and deservedly so. 

But I don't like betting on favourites to win.   So while I'll use him in exactors, I'll look elsewhere for a win bet.

I'm leaning to Early Voting.  The frantic early pace in the Derby caused a lot of problems for a lot of horses, including Epicenter.  Possibly they might hold back this time and maybe allow Early Voting to take an early and easy lead.  If so, he could go wire to wire.  That's assuming Armagnac doesn't throw  a wrench in things and challenge Early Voting from the get-go.

Then again, maybe 50/1 Fenwick will do a Rich Strike.  (Although that would be an even bigger surprise.)

Decisions, decisions.

(Old race track joke:  Horses are very intelligent animals.  For instance, you never see a horse betting on humans.)

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...

The final jewel in the Triple Crown, the Belmont Stakes, will take place this Saturday.  NBC will be carrying the broadcast starting at 2pm.  The race itself is scheduled to be off at around 3:45pm.  

Past performances for the Belmont can be found here:

https://production-picks-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2022/06/Belmont-Stakes-2022-brisnet-pps.pdf

3 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

The final jewel in the Triple Crown, the Belmont Stakes, will take place this Saturday.  NBC will be carrying the broadcast starting at 2pm.  The race itself is scheduled to be off at around 3:45pm.  

Past performances for the Belmont can be found here:

https://production-picks-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2022/06/Belmont-Stakes-2022-brisnet-pps.pdf

I like playing a bit of a price - so I think I will end up playing the 5 - Creative Minister. The Preakness field wasn't much and this guy ran evenly - seems like one that can lope along all day and maybe pass them all at the end

23 hours ago, rychicken said:

I like playing a bit of a price - so I think I will end up playing the 5 - Creative Minister. The Preakness field wasn't much and this guy ran evenly - seems like one that can lope along all day and maybe pass them all at the end

That's who I'm leaning toward as well.  And for the same reason - getting a bit of a price.   

Wide open race.  None of these horses have run 1 1/2 mile before and probably will never run it again.  And I was kind of surprised that Epicenter is passing on this race.

We The People is the only horse in the field with early speed.  If no one challenges him he could go wire to wire at his own pace.  Which is probably why he's the morning line favourite.

But, yeah, Creative Minister is probably my win bet.  And then throw in a bunch of random exactors, cross my fingers and see what happens.

I thought Secretariat’s mile and a half record (2:24 flat) might be challenged today.  :lol:

Winner runs 2:28 1/4.  Or 25 lengths behind Secretariat.  

The Alfs went on a breeder’s tour through Kentucky in the early 80’s.  Saw Secretariat up close.  He was incredible.  

Wife preferred Affirmed, who was friendly and liked nose rubs.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

• 4 months later...

For those who may have missed it, the Breeders Cup Classic was run on Saturday.  There was an undefeated 4 year old named Flightline in the race.  Admittedly, due to injuries, he had only raced five times.  But he had won all of them.  And some of them in such an impressive fashion that he was mentioned in the same breath as Secretariat.  Here's the race:

• Like 1