The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks trying to move Micheal Ferland's contract

5 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm a bit confused. What do you think is the difference between putting a player on LTIR and getting a player who is on LTIR? Is it just a semantics issue or is it a cap benefit?

Largely semantics. If he's already on LTIR, they don't have to put him on LTIR. And as noted, Hague could be the cap coming back (that we'd obviously need to add, to acquire).

42 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Largely semantics. If he's already on LTIR, they don't have to put him on LTIR. And as noted, Hague could be the cap coming back (that we'd obviously need to add, to acquire).

Its to avoid the equation that is used to calculate the amount of cap bonus BEFORE the league season starts. It is in LV's best interest to maximize their cap hit day one (get as close to the cap as possible), then trade for more LTIR afterwards. The cap increase afterwards in this case is simple the players salary vs. recalculating the whole thing. In basic terms, any cap space you may have w/o the LTIR players is basically used when they go to LTIR.  Examples:

Scenario 1

Cap: 81.5m

Team cap hit: 80m

LTIR Player Salary: 5m

81.5-80m = 1.5m

5-1.5=3.5m is relief

Total Cap after LTIR: 85m

Scenario 2

Team cap hit: 81m

81.5-81m = 0.5m

5-0.5=4.5m is relief

Total Cap after LTIR: 86m

As such, the goal; get as close to Cap without exceeding it day one...then put player to LTIR and maximize return. Having Ferland would reduce LV's total cap inflation IF he were traded before league season start day.

My guess; they have something in the works , but just need to wait until after the league start day. Hague????? yes please

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Its to avoid the equation that is used to calculate the amount of cap bonus BEFORE the league season starts. It is in LV's best interest to maximize their cap hit day one (get as close to the cap as possible), then trade for more LTIR afterwards. The cap increase afterwards in this case is simple the players salary vs. recalculating the whole thing. In basic terms, any cap space you may have w/o the LTIR players is basically used when they go to LTIR.  Examples:

Scenario 1

Team cap hit: 80m

81.5-80m = 1.5m

5-1.5=3.5m is relief

Total Cap after LTIR: 85m

Scenario 2

Team cap hit: 81m

81.5-81m = 0.5m

5-0.5=4.5m is relief

Total Cap after LTIR: 86m

As such, the goal; get as close to Cap without exceeding it day one...then put player to LTIR and maximize return. Having Ferland would reduce LV's total cap inflation IF he were traded before league season start day.

My guess; they have something in the works , but just need to wait until after the league start day. Hague????? yes please

One more quick tid bit too. This is probably why we will not see Dickinson nor poolman waived prior to league season start. We need their full cap to get us as close to the full cap as possible. I have calc'd this that we can get within ~600k.

So, my guess:

after league start day....

1. Ferland + ?? for Hagues RFA rights

2. Pooman and Dickinson waived; both clear.

3. Hague signs a contract with Canucks

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, BC_Hawk said:

One more quick tid bit too. This is probably why we will not see Dickinson nor poolman waived prior to league season start. We need their full cap to get us as close to the full cap as possible. I have calc'd this that we can get within ~600k.

So, my guess:

after league start day....

1. Ferland + ?? for Hagues RFA rights

2. Pooman and Dickinson waived; both clear.

3. Hague signs a contract with Canucks

you can maximize the LTIR by having ferland on the starting roster and waiving both dickinson and poolman before the season starts. we can get within 27k this way. if they get claimed its a win for us.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

you can maximize the LTIR by having ferland on the starting roster and waiving both dickinson and poolman before the season starts. we can get within 27k this way. if they get claimed its a win for us.

True...the one thing I am not sure of is does he need to pass a psychical prior to not being on LTIR? 

Other factor is when Poolman OR Dickinson would offer the best waiver pickup potential. My guess would be after league year start once LTIR has been established.

Either way, even 600K is not a huge # if we are able to improve the D. 

8 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Read Ferland wasn't fully insured and we pay 2.5 mill and why we want his contract gone.So will cost us a 1st or so.

That’s just a cash issue, not salary cap. The only team that really cares is Ari as they want to pay their players in Rubles! LV doesn’t care about 2.5m in cash, nor do we

• Cheers 2

16 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

That’s just a cash issue, not salary cap. The only team that really cares is Ari as they want to pay their players in Rubles! LV doesn’t care about 2.5m in cash, nor do we

Yes we do as is the reason we want the contract gone.