The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposals] Fix the Defense via Free Agency in Off Season

Sounds like the Canucks have poked around Severson a lot, I know there was a lot of interest for him a few seasons ago when he broke out in NJD. This year he's been very sloppy defensively, almost a bit like Myers, you see him make some bone-headed defensive plays get highlighted by NJD. Luckily they've got such a good system around him, he can make some silly plays defensively and get away with it.

Crazy thing is that he's still logging BIG minutes for NJD. Hamilton is obviously a beast for them but I'm surprised to see sometimes Severson logs more minutes than him. 4.1M cap hit at the moment but surely in free agency he could get 6M and he's not even having a great season.

I wonder if Allvin will offer him say 5-5.5M. He's not producing much offence, worth around 4-5M but in free agency teams will grasp at him. Only 28 so a 5 year deal is probably what he'll get.

Look he's certainly not the best RD we could get (and need), but if he's a freebie you have to consider him. I know there's guys like Mayfield who are tougher defensively and could be had cheaper.

My ideal scenario would be to somehow flip Myers and Schenn likely goes as well, and then we snag two top-4 defencemen. Seems like trading for them is impossible but there's loads of good guys in free agency. The big worry is that we just end up with another Myers situation down the line...