The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Devil's Advocate for the Hronek trade

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Overall agree with the perspective but I’d say since we’re not looking to be a contender for a couple years, let’s add in the size when some of our current contracts expire.

D-Petey is looking legit, and he’s big and physical. Will probably play for us in a couple years. 

Raty is big as well. 

if they are gonna make a move on D to get some size, I’d be ok with Gavrikov in UFA. But Idk about getting another top-4 LD shoving OEL to the 3rd pairing. 

Raty and Klimovich pairing seems to be a thing in AHL now and I think that is a good thing. Another year or two working together in Abby and we could be looking at a really good 2/3 of a  third line. 
Hope we don’t sign/trade for a third line centre with more than 2 years so these guys have room to come in. 
Some of it will get fixed internally, Mik coming back healthy helps and if Podz can progress into a top 6 player that would go a long way to fixing some of the size issue in the top 2 lines.   Still need a third line centre with size to make what is left over of the diminutive wingers work for the third line for the next couple years. 
D-Pettey has good size and a nastiness to his game but is likely at least a couple years away.   Will see what happens in the off-season. 
Hopefully we can get some more of the Benning stink off more quickly than just letting contract run out but if it is a lot of futures to clear up those problems it is probably best to wait. 
OEL is going to be an issue for a while even if he does end up on Robidas island he will be messing with our ability to accrue cap through most of Miller’s competitive window. 
I do hope PA is very active, still some really significant issues with the lineup IMHO. Hronek filled a huge hole, so big that one of our areas of biggest need is what he is a right handed d that can play in the top 2 pairings.  If another unicorn wasn’t enough to need to find, we still need a 3rd line C with size and preferably a right shot as well as more size and mobility throughout the lineup. 
Nice pieces but a lot of poorly fitting ones and some glaring holes still. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Like 1