The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Dallas Stars | Mar. 25, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

14 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

I think moving Boeser and Myers allows us to add some players like Barbeshev and a Dman 

Yeah I think even moving two pieces could make a huge difference. Andrei Kuzmenko, Ilya Mikheyev, and Anthony Beauvillier are three players we've added who have really impacted our team and changed how we can build next year.

I do wonder what we'll do about our goalies next year, because Spencer Martin was a bust as a no#1 goalie but is he better or worse than Delia?

26 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Yes, I am waiting to see how the team looks in the new season.  There are many things to be taken care of

before I buy the monologue. 

There needs to be a couple of intelligent trades and decent selections at the draft.

The team needs to play the way they have when they start and sustain it with +.550 record.

If the team makes it to the wild card status I will be happy.  I don't expect to see anything close to contender

status, as I think it will take a lot more than 1 season to build this team into a SC contender.

Next season we’re not a contender but we are in the mix of winning this division as it’s an easy one. 

35 minutes ago, jyu said:

I can play the opposite argument.

We drafted Petey at 5 when the Rangers drafted Lias Anderson at 7. Rumor was that the Rangers were high on Petey and if we had #7 and they had #5, we don't get Petey. 

Same thing in 2018. We got Hughes at 7 and Chicago got Boqvist at 8. 

Look at 2015 draft. The top 4 in that draft produced McDavid, Eichel, and Marner. The top 4 teams in this draft will have a similar fortune.

Then look at 5-10: Hanifin, Zacha, Provorov, Werenski, Meier, Raantanen. Quite a few difference makers.

Then look at 11-15: Crouse, Gurianov, Zboril, DeBrusk, Senyshyn. Busts, relative to their draft positions.

Deep draft still has its share of "busts."

Higher the pick the less the chance of drafting a bust.

Why did you only stop at 15 in 2015?

I know why.  16 was Mathew Barzal, 17 was Kyle Connor, 18 was Thomas Chabot.  Is Noah Hanifin better than Thomas Chabot?  You just proved my point even further.  In 2015, the 18th pick was better than the 5th pick...

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Boeser is overpaid but I think you have to look at his history because the last couple of years have been tough for Brock.  If he is indeed coming around, he's going to be at least a 25 goal forward again and Garland has never reached that level.  Garland is an attractive player but his production has always been inconsistent.  When push comes to shove, Garland is a 0.6 ppg player and Boeser is 0.78 ppg over their careers

I'd agree on most points. I think Garland at 6 mil isn't good because he'd be a 40 pt player earning a 50+ pt player salary.

Garland has really only had 4 years in the NHL despite him being 27. In 3 of 4 years his pts were around 40, while last year he had 52. It's likely at 27 years old he'll continue to hover around 40 rather than over 50. Garland is getting 4mil this year, but next year goes up to 6mil. Does he warrant almost the same as Boeser if he's scoring at least 10-15 points less?

Boeser has had 6 years in the NHL and is 26. Boeser was a 55 pt player for 2 seasons then dipped by 5-10 pts for 3 seasons, and now he'll likely end up with 50+ pts. Boeser looked like he could be a routine 30pt scorer, which he was in 2017. IF Boeser had scored closer to 30 goals ( instead of 14 ) he would end up with around 66pts. Theoretically Boeser could rebound next year and up his scoring while maintaining his assists and become a 65 pt guy. Can he make the move from a mid 50s pt guy to a mid 60s pt guy?

Consider what other 60-65 pt players are making: Pavel Buchnevich age 27 5.5 mil 62pts, Elias Lindholm age 28 $3,850,000 62pts ( but scored over 80 pts last year ), Mark Scheifele age 30 $5,500,000 62pts, Sebastian Aho age 25 $6,000,000 61pts ( but reached over 80 two years ). Aleksander Barkov is a 66 pt player, making $12 mil ( but reached 88pts last year )

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I know why.  16 was Mathew Barzal, 17 was Kyle Connor, 18 was Thomas Chabot.  Is Noah Hanifin better than Thomas Chabot?  You just proved my point even further.  In 2015, the 18th pick was better than the 5th pick...

Ah. I initially wrote that 16-25 was good again, due to the depth of that draft and then deleted it since we won't be picking 16-25, we will be picking 10-15 so I thought it was irrelevant :)

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The point is: we want a top 10 pick because that gives us more to choose from. That should be obvious to everyone, but I guess not.