The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PROPOSAL] Anthony Beauvillier to San Jose Sharks

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

If you're just going to ignore the points I made without adding anything to the discussion except for the same repeated talking points ("Beau's a pending UFA", "moving Sturm creates a 3rd C hole", "Beau's not part of their future") without adding much, there's no point in the response.  What happened to "Free Agency also has wingers"?  You still didn't bring up any plausible names that the Sharks could possibly sign.  Still waiting to hear it.  

Also, if you say "their prospect pool is shallow" and the "vets are aging out" and they "can't be looking to contend",
1) what happened to your initial argument that their owner "has always refused to rebuild and seems rather impatient to get back into the post-season", which one is it?  Are they trying to win like you said, or are they looking for futures, like you say here?
2) how will they have that transitional group of players who would at least play for them after their vets have phased out and the prospect calvary hasn't arrived yet?  Wouldn't a 25 year old be the exact kind of player that they'd look for, since he's showing scoring upside that the rest of the roster has been lacking?  Tanking teams can't afford to be choosey about who they take on.

Following sentence was:  "Maybe Grier has convinced him otherwise but can't really see how those moves helps them in the short or long term - it creates a hole in their lineup while not addressing any long term needs and reduces their available cap space."  

Beauvillier being a UFA is a factor - he's not bound to SJS beyond this 1 season and would expect the transition to take more than just 1-season.  If Beauvillier is that good then there should be other teams in on him as UFA.  Beauvillier turns 26 this June and has already played over 500 NHL games - not sure many teams will think he still has more scoring upside and might see that more as the effect of playing with Pettersson in garbage time.

Whether they are trying to compete or re-tooling/rebuilding they'll need a C3.  Sturm is nothing special but he fills a necessary role.  

You argue that they can get a C3 in free agency.  They could do the same for a winger.  Didn't bother looking up wingers just as you didn't bother coming up with a list of C3s they could sign in free agency.  Don't see why it matters - would think they'll have trouble signing someone decent whether C or wing given where they stand.  

I would think it's harder to get a C3 than a winger though.  There's been several threads on who to get as C3 for the Canucks and none of the names are all that compelling - not to say that SJS is probably not the most attractive destination.

Sounds like Plattner is on board and satisfied with Grier's work.  Timeline seems undefined but would think that Eklund/Bordeleau and whoever they draft this year are the guys they are going to build around.   

https://sanjosehockeynow.com/san-jose-sharks-grier-karlsson-bedard-gm-exit-interview/

I'd be happy with that, would like to hope we get a bit more for Rathbone and Beauvillier though. I'd much rather sign a 3C in the free agency though, there's tonnes of them there available, and use Beau and Rathbone to get us a physical defensive defenceman elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd be happy with that, would like to hope we get a bit more for Rathbone and Beauvillier though. I'd much rather sign a 3C in the free agency though, there's tonnes of them there available, and use Beau and Rathbone to get us a physical defensive defenceman elsewhere.

Boston will be in cap hell this summer. We should go after Brandon Carlo. 

• Cheers 1