The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Blues/Canucks Proposal

Hey yall saw this proposal on Canucks Daily and was curious what you guys thought. 

Blues - Bear (Rfa), Garland, Lockhart and 2023 3rd 

Canucks - Parayko

Me personally I'm not 100% sold on this. I do think Parayko would be a fantastic partner for Hughes. The long term implications kind of scare me. I don't want to run in to another Myers situation. Although Parayko is a superior player to Myers and in my opinion was a big part of the Blues taking the Cup home a couple years ago. 

Would give us a pretty strong top 4 if OEL bounces back with playing with Hronek. 

Hughes - Parayko

OEL - Hronek 

Anyways what do you think?

Yeah he's an interesting one, just 29 years old, had a bad year along with a lot of the Blues but is a big, physical RD who has all the good structure for a great defenceman and Tocchet and Foote could really bring his game back, especially if he played with Hughes. A buy-low situation. Hard to say what STL want to do or which direction they want to go, I think they'll gun for the playoffs next year and try and retool as well around Kyrou and Thomas so probably want younger-ish guys in their early/mid 20's.

They have 12M in extensions to pay, only 7M of dead cap off the books and not much else so they need to lose some cap, so probably want a cheap defender in return.

I'd fiddle with it, maybe say Beauvillier (lower cap going back + younger) + Bear/Rathbone + maybe a later pick for Parayko. No need to give them Lockhart IMO. If we give them say Rathbone + 3rd, they save 2-3M in cap space as well, so they get a lot younger, move a Myers-like contract and get some futures.

It's a risky trade for the Canucks for sure but if it pays off, we've got a real gem. That being said you just know Rathbone will go and become the next Forsling. I think Bear going back is nice as an RD, but he's honestly not very good and his QO is going to make him cost around 2M, so they don't save any cap in the end.

I'm not sure that the Blues would do it.  Saad's a shell of his former self and Kapanen and Vrana are guys that they'd like to help meet their potential (Kapanen was a strong, speedy two-way wing and Vrana showed scoring potential with Detroit).  Adding Garland as another project as the main return for Parayko (who they'd need to replace if they traded him) doesn't really help them if they want to go for a run in the near future with their currently signed guys, and Bear's probably not going to help them enough to patch up any defensive holes as a result of this deal.  Unless they want to trade him for some reason we're going to have to overpay IMO (or he might be another Karlsson -- viewed as valuable by his team but other teams don't want to be bogged down by his contract, so either they retain and trade him for futures and one regular, or they don't trade at all).

Edited by Phil_314

I would probably avoid this one.

Too much risk tied into a guy with another 7 years left on his deal. It might look good for the first couple of years, but he'll be 37 by the time the deal comes off the books. I'm not sure if his abilities outperform the risk of his deal.