The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden Partners in Domestic Violence Campaign

Rate this topic

-DLC-

As a victim of domestic violence myself (who did suffer blows to the head including  a broken nose and a concussion), this one really reaches me. Weird, we had "jersey day" at school this week and I dug deep into the closet and wore my Linden jersey for the first time in years. Now I'm seeing him on the news as part of this campaign and I'm reminded of why he's so special.

He's my first favourite Canuck. Hero. And this is something so important that he's supporting. To all the people suffering from domestic violence out there (thanks Shiznak) - get out while you can. It's difficult, but you can lead a healthy safe life on your own. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/9706562/former-canuck-partners-domestic-violence-awareness-campaign/

According to the campaign, some 290,000 Canadian women, girls and gender diverse people suffer intimate partner violence each year. Among them, 92 per cent experience a traumatic brain injury as a result of the abuse.

I feel that Linden will always be a Canuck and this topic is important enough to be placed here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@-DLC-

I am in full support of any movement that is against domestic abuse. But I think that there is a huge void in what you have printed here Deb, in that what you have failed to include is any mention of domestic abuse of men. This is not to lessen the very real concerns of those listed above, only that there is a real lack of recognition of abuse towards men. In a day where equality is front and center. This is still kept in the closet.

I myself, have been a victim of abuse by my partner. I have been punched, scratched, and hit in the face with an alarm clock, and sworn at so many times, it stems on the side of ridiculous. I was asked why I did not leave, and at the time, with young children, that did not seem as an option. I could take it, and I did.

My brother's wife, used to beat the livin crap out of him, and in addition, she through my niece down the stairs. I often asked myself, why he never left, and his comments were, "She said she was sorry!" and would never do it again. He having come from a past marriage, where his wife was found in bed with another man, by me, had a very low self esteem, and never knew what he could do with the children, when he was at work.

I tell these stories, because I know of them first hand, and was part of them, in one way or another. They are exactly the same stories as you hear countless times, from other Men, women and children, through out the country. Shameful at best!

I telling you all my story, it in no way deminishishes, the atrocities towards anyone abused, especially, those that can not protect themselves. It is a disgusting event, and I think it is great, that people bring it up front and center. Just do not forget the many men, that are in the exact same situation.

Thank you for posting this story, and god bless, anyone that has suffered from domestic, work place violence. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

As a victim of domestic violence myself (who did suffer blows to the head including  a broken nose and a concussion), this one really reaches me. Weird, we had "jersey day" at school this week and I dug deep into the closet and wore my Linden jersey for the first time in years. Now I'm seeing him on the news as part of this campaign and I'm reminded of why he's so special.

He's my first favourite Canuck. Hero. And this is something so important that he's supporting. To all the people suffering from domestic violence out there (thanks Shiznak) - get out while you can. It's difficult, but you can lead a healthy safe life on your own. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/9706562/former-canuck-partners-domestic-violence-awareness-campaign/

According to the campaign, some 290,000 Canadian women, girls and gender diverse people suffer intimate partner violence each year. Among them, 92 per cent experience a traumatic brain injury as a result of the abuse.

I feel that Linden will always be a Canuck and this topic is important enough to be placed here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@-DLC-

I am in full support of any movement that is against domestic abuse. But I think that there is a huge void in what you have printed here Deb, in that what you have failed to include is any mention of domestic abuse of men. This is not to lessen the very real concerns of those listed above, only that there is a real lack of recognition of abuse towards men. In a day where equality is front and center. This is still kept in the closet.

I myself, have been a victim of abuse by my partner. I have been punched, scratched, and hit in the face with an alarm clock, and sworn at so many times, it stems on the side of ridiculous. I was asked why I did not leave, and at the time, with young children, that did not seem as an option. I could take it, and I did.

My brother's wife, used to beat the livin crap out of him, and in addition, she through my niece down the stairs. I often asked myself, why he never left, and his comments were, "She said she was sorry!" and would never do it again. He having come from a past marriage, where his wife was found in bed with another man, by me, had a very low self esteem, and never knew what he could do with the children, when he was at work.

I tell these stories, because I know of them first hand, and was part of them, in one way or another. They are exactly the same stories as you hear countless times, from other Men, women and children, through out the country. Shameful at best!

I telling you all my story, it in no way deminishishes, the atrocities towards anyone abused, especially, those that can not protect themselves. It is a disgusting event, and I think it is great, that people bring it up front and center. Just do not forget the many men, that are in the exact same situation.

Thank you for posting this story, and god bless, anyone that has suffered from domestic, work place violence. 

This is not her fault, to be fair. This campaign singled out men and that is a serious oversight for sure.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

This is not her fault, to be fair. This campaign singled out men and that is a serious oversight for sure.

Oh, My! If that sounded in any way that I was blaming Deb, that was not my intention. I am merely point out the omission. 

@-DLC-

Deb, I hope that my comments did not point out at you. Again, merely bringing some additional points to the conversation. A 200 lb man vs 100 lb woman or a 60 lb child, is just grossly wrong, but in fact, whether it is a man or a woman, is just grossly wrong. Which IMO, happens far more than is reported on. To me, society, in general has a ways to go, in all area's. But let us not leave anyone behind!

Love you Deb and all you bring to these forum's. Never stop! Sincerely JIAHN

• Cheers 3

10 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Thank you so much for the kind words.

It's sad to me because trauma in my life has really locked the vault of memories in my brain, including recall of important events with my kids. They are the ones who are encouraging me to open up and deal with my terror induced anxiety. It gives me back my power to do so. 

I am so happy in my life now...it's calm and beautiful and I do exactly what I want to do (lol, mostly watch hockey). The freedom in that is incredible and I will never relinquish my power to anyone ever again. It's sad though, huge walls up and my ability to trust is smashed. Working on it. 

Super girl. 
massive thumbs up to your kids for pushing you forwards. 
You are beautiful, and you deserve all the good you can get. Hardest part is to accept you don't need to be a punch bag for someones personal issues and lack of self control. 
Upwards and onwards Deb. Life is too short to waste on bad memories. There's a whole world still waiting for you to explore. Good luck finding happiness and true love girl, if you haven't already. 

GCG

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1