The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden Partners in Domestic Violence Campaign

Rate this topic

-DLC-

13 hours ago, shiznak said:

“To all the women out there.” 

Talk about gender inequality.

Yeah, you're right. A slip on my part (and theirs, as the study was based on).

I've seen both sides of it...thanks for the correction. It's important.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He would be doing the hitting, not the hitee.

Trev took plenty of hits and plenty of cheapshots.... especially in '94... but he was an extremely durable player and he never complained for one second.

He had broken ribs and torn rib cartilege for the last 4 games of the '94 final.

But he was still the best Canuck in game 7 scoring both the Canucks' goals for a total of 12 goals and 13 assists in the playoffs.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

As a victim of domestic violence myself (who did suffer blows to the head including  a broken nose and a concussion), this one really reaches me. Weird, we had "jersey day" at school this week and I dug deep into the closet and wore my Linden jersey for the first time in years. Now I'm seeing him on the news as part of this campaign and I'm reminded of why he's so special.

He's my first favourite Canuck. Hero. And this is something so important that he's supporting. To all the people suffering from domestic violence out there (thanks Shiznak) - get out while you can. It's difficult, but you can lead a healthy safe life on your own. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/9706562/former-canuck-partners-domestic-violence-awareness-campaign/

I feel that Linden will always be a Canuck and this topic is important enough to be placed here.

This is an important campaign; however, male domestic victims are clearly left out here. I just wished they included everyone. Knowing someone who was a legit male victim from an abusive wife, I could not imagine just how isolated they felt.

Domestic violence is something that makes me really upset. During a sit-in, I heard how a woman was terrified about seeing her partner, but a lady cop and dispatcher assured her that help was on the way. They'd even arrange it so that they'd meet in a neutral zone (not at home).

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Took me a long time to (speak up about it).

So stupid...I "hid" it from everyone but it's not like they didn't know. Well, except my Dad...he would've lost it.  I made up stories but I doubt they were totally believable. I am a bit of a clutz though...so maybe.

My ex is very private (not on social media, etc.). "Guarded". He held a lot of power over me with a "don't talk about me" deal but I've decided I'm talking about me, not him. And I get to decide on that. It's still kind of scary to break the "code" he had for me though. When I look back, it was all so textbook...alienated me from friends (he hated all of them and there was no way in hell I could have male friends). Isolated me. Was so insanely jealous (lol he even said he thought he caught Trevor eyeing me up once at an event and joked that I had his "ok" with Trevor).

But all the signs were there from day one, I was just so blind.

I feel really proud of how far I've come on my own...raised my kids (worked 3 jobs at one point). Had a great family behind me though...that was huge. Even his Mom became my best friend and was there for me and the kids.

I know what it's like to stay and endure the crap though...with the ongoing "hope" that things'll change. But they just get progressively worse. It's tough to break away from the cycle of abuse because there are periods in between where things are good. Calm. And you just hold out hope that they stay that way, but the bubble always bursts. I started to see the pattern as it would unfold...as the tension and stress increased.

Sigh, it's truly sad.

You're a survivor Deb.

Definitely should be proud of yourself, as it can be so hard to break free. I never understood, how you could abuse your loved one...

He is just lucky, that you not talking about him. It used to be tabu, but now abusers gets the respect they deserve, which is none...

Its good to talk, so get it out of your system :)

Just really pleased for you girl :)

• Like 1