The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How long until we are competing with Vegas & Colorado?

Rate this topic

Nucks89

6 hours ago, Baggins said:

I wouldn't credit their GM for other GM's panicking to keep players. I thought what some teams were doing was just crazy. A half trained monkey could have gotten those deals. Then add in getting more players in the expenasion draft than a full roster, with added value from panicking GM's, plus a top draft pick as an expansion team. That adds up to some pretty decent moveable assets. Benning got an aging out declining team with a bunch of ntc's, no prospects on the farm, and one roster player under 27 worth keeping. I'd take the Vegas starting point any day, any year. At least GM's learned from the new expansion draft rules when Seattle joined. But even Seattle had a better starting point than Benning did.

This is revisionist history at it's finest. 

Agree to disagree, I guess.

On 6/14/2023 at 4:10 PM, ilduce39 said:

I think people underestimate the parity in the league.  

We’re a good game from Demko away from beating anyone.

I wouldn’t bet on that holding up over a 7 game series, let alone multiple series, but this roster can also score like crazy.  

Learning team defence / transition is the biggest key and it’s also something we can improve on without adding players.  

So… I don’t feel silly thinking we could have a pretty good squad next year.  I’m more worried about that fragile loser mentality that’s been sinking in the last few seasons.  But we jettisoned the coach and captain.  Hopefully that helps.

Again ... great post! You're bang on as far as people underestimating the parity in the league.

When you look at actual games, we really aren't that far. It's just harder to make up those games because of the parity.

I mean, 6-7 wins, 12 -14 points ... I think most of us can look at last season and think of 6-7 games we should have won ... or could have won with better goaltending, which strengthens your point about Demko. 

Great teams today are winning with two good goalies. 

The fact that Silovs is emerging is huge over the next couple seasons. Both Demko and Silovs will be key in getting us more wins.

It really is positive.

• Cheers 1