The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How long until we are competing with Vegas & Colorado?

Rate this topic

Nucks89

1 hour ago, ronthecivil said:

Vegas played money puck from day one. They are close to 4 million under the cap right now. They invested heavily in scouting so that their moves were all good.

Our track record, not so much.

Come on now.  There's only so much Ron Delorme can do.  He's responsible for amateur scouting in Western Canada *AND* amateur scouting in Sweden.  That a crapload of travelling.

:ph34r:

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

15 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

For Vegas at least they aren’t getting any younger as well.

They’ll still be out of our league next year - but after that I think it’s a lot less certain.

Agree with you. I think this coming season has to be a big leap forward to show that we aren't as far off.

They've run out of runway for bad seasons, imo. This group - that's being built upon - has to get it done now. At the very least show everyone next season that we aren't too far away. It's their window. 

• Cheers 1

On 6/13/2023 at 8:33 AM, iceman64 said:

Watch... We win four in a row to start the season and everyone will be planning the parade.. lose 4 and tear it down, trade everyone..  same thing different year... 

Well, after the last decade, I don't blame folks having frayed nerves and some bipolar attitudes these days. 

• Cheers 2

On 6/13/2023 at 8:33 AM, iceman64 said:

Watch... We win four in a row to start the season and everyone will be planning the parade.. lose 4 and tear it down, trade everyone..  same thing different year... 

This was an actual quote from a Chicago Cubs fan at the start of the 2016 season before they finally won the world series.

25 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

This was an actual quote from a Chicago Cubs fan at the start of the 2016 season before they finally won the world series.

Steve Bartman can now enjoy life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Bartman_incident#:~:text=Cubs fan Steve Bartman was,and reached for the ball.

I'm not a Cubs fan I'm glad there a 'good ending' to his story.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

17 hours ago, Maddogy said:

This team won’t win the Cup. Just enjoy the small wins. Set low expectations and enjoy the ride. 

I believe there is another universe where the Canucks did win the cup but Aliens invaded at the same time.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

I believe there is another universe where the Canucks did win the cup but Aliens invaded at the same time.

I’ve been there it’s not pretty ,if Elon tries selling u a cheap  ticket don’t do it  untitled.png.b68d4cd73645201e052f6e7add52dcca.png

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, after the last decade, I don't blame folks having frayed nerves and some bipolar attitudes these days. 

You mean like after the last 4 decades plus right? However there is a ton of stupid bipolar fans in Vancouver STILL screaming for the one and done scenario and there lies the stupidity, like that's ever worked before? NOT! 

Wish someone could fire the bush league media where it is still pushed for it and probably always will, some of the lame brains media "finally" got it that trying to buy a roster and having no depth isn't going to win _hit EVER but still pushing to get more forwards every draft and trade, so now we have a logjam at forward and lousy D.. 

Yeah fun stuff.. sorry I don't have the same patience for stupidity as you do. I spent way too long putting up with it and moved on, will call out anyone's bull_hit any day of the week, especially the stupidity that comes in the form of the media especially but it truly is

"the blind leading the stupid"

It's getting old btw.. just saying...  ;)

Edited by iceman64

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Remind me to cross my fingers! Honestly though, wish we could have traded half the roster, if not more in 2013 and started to build a team for once but MG had most of it all locked up long term.

Meh.. such be the life of a nux fan right? 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Agree with you. I think this coming season has to be a big leap forward to show that we aren't as far off.

They've run out of runway for bad seasons, imo. This group - that's being built upon - has to get it done now. At the very least show everyone next season that we aren't too far away. It's their window. 

I think people underestimate the parity in the league.  

We’re a good game from Demko away from beating anyone.

I wouldn’t bet on that holding up over a 7 game series, let alone multiple series, but this roster can also score like crazy.  

Learning team defence / transition is the biggest key and it’s also something we can improve on without adding players.  

So… I don’t feel silly thinking we could have a pretty good squad next year.  I’m more worried about that fragile loser mentality that’s been sinking in the last few seasons.  But we jettisoned the coach and captain.  Hopefully that helps.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I wouldn’t bet on that holding up over a 7 game series, let alone multiple series, but this roster can also score like crazy.  

Learning team defence / transition is the biggest key and it’s also something we can improve on without adding players.  

So… I don’t feel silly thinking we could have a pretty good squad next year.  I’m more worried about that fragile loser mentality that’s been sinking in the last few seasons.  But we jettisoned the coach and captain.  Hopefully that helps.

They were 6-1 against Seattle not sure about against vegas but I do know it was respectable 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Well we need a cpl of short term contracts and fill those gaps with our own developed picks so we stay under cap and have a good team BUT we still have to picks coming in so odds work for us that we have a few developing that can cover injuries as well.. and keep it competitive on top of it. 

Ummm that fragile broken actually started in 2012/13 after Boston put us down, and did they ever, not just for the Stanley cup, for years of being fragile except for the odd run when we went  on winning streaks here and there but injuries would happen and we'd go on losing streaks too.

But we never had any depth and that's still our main concern, can't win a cup without it...

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Again, I agree, ilduce ... especially the Demko part. Aside from last season, with bad goaltending, we've beaten a lot of top teams on Demko's back when he was in top form. It's like no one even notices that. 

I'm not expecting us to go deep into playoffs but the goal next season should be getting there and taking the next step, playing at our best. Next offseason we'll have more cap to upgrade to take another step. That's really how it needs to go. 

Now we're starting to fill the other holes along with a massive culture change. That should take care of the fragile loser mentality. I mean, Allvin and JR noticed it immediately. Tocchet and staff won't tolerate it. These guys know what it takes. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I don't know that we will ever win a cup without first embracing a complete rebuild. We've lost a decade trying to retool, and we are a capped out team that has some real garbage contracts and a defense that isn't going to take us very far.

We should be learning lessons from Las Vegas, tbh. They've managed to acquire Stone, Eichel, Pietrangelo, etc. They're able to cut bait with players to get better players. They simply don't tolerate losing.

I will say that trading Bo was a step in the right direction. Now get rid of Miller, OEL, Boesser, and Garland and we have the start of a real rebuild.