The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Beauvillier+ (Van) for Edmundson (Mtl) extended?

As the title says....

Canucks trade Beauvillier and Rathbone to Montreal for Edmundson. 

Pair Edmundson with Hronek if they mesh they both get new contracts to stay together. Allows the Canucks to use more of this cap space to sign a RHD to play with Hughes like a Scott Mayfield/Dumba/Gudas/Schenn OR more $ for a true #3C NOT Barbashev!

Edited by Neutral

• 86Viking changed the title to [Proposal] Beauvillier+ (Van) for Edmundson (Mtl) extended?

Montreal has too many wingers as it is.  Beaulivier at $4.15m doesn’t offer any value for Montreal. They can plug in one of their promising youngsters on an ELC and likely get the same production. Rathbone wouldn’t crack Montreals top 8 D prospects 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

You must see something in him that I don't.

Could contain: Helmet, People, Person, Adult, Male, Man, Text, Baseball Cap, Clothing, HatCould contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Text, Number, Symbol, Chart, Plot

Disclaimer: These numbers are probably skewed because he plays for one of the worst defensive teams in the NHL, but they still look terrible.

They were terrible, he had better numbers the year they went to the Cup finals. It is a risk but short term as we can have a wait and see approach VS signing a UFA july 1 for more $ and term

11 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Montreal has too many wingers as it is.  Beaulivier at $4.15m doesn’t offer any value for Montreal. They can plug in one of their promising youngsters on an ELC and likely get the same production. Rathbone wouldn’t crack Montreals top 8 D prospects 

True but Drouin is gone and Hoffman is up at the end of the year and could be moved if they traded for Beau or when he gets dealt at the TDL. Does Montreal have many French Canadians on their NHL roster??? I know the GM and President are NOT French so that likely wouldn't be a thing for them but might go over well for the fans and maybe Beau would extend with them for a fair contract?

1 minute ago, Neutral said:

They were terrible, he had better numbers the year they went to the Cup finals. It is a risk but short term as we can have a wait and see approach VS signing a UFA july 1 for more $ and term

I don't know what value Beauvillier has (probably a little), but I know that Edmunson has negative value at this point.  We shouldn't be the ones paying to take on such a risk.

2 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I don't know what value Beauvillier has (probably a little), but I know that Edmunson has negative value at this point.  We shouldn't be the ones paying to take on such a risk.

thanks for your input

7 minutes ago, Neutral said:

True but Drouin is gone and Hoffman is up at the end of the year and could be moved if they traded for Beau or when he gets dealt at the TDL. Does Montreal have many French Canadians on their NHL roster??? I know the GM and President are NOT French so that likely wouldn't be a thing for them but might go over well for the fans and maybe Beau would extend with them for a fair contract?

RHP, Mattheson, Savard,Belzile Montembeault, Richard are all local boys.  The one good thing about all the injuries they had last season was their youngsters got a good look in the NHL. They don’t need to waste $4.1m on Beaulivier just because he’s French 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Neutral said:

Beauvillier is not the French Canadian player they want.  They want PLD.

They got a few Quebec boys on the team.  They got David Savard and Mike Matheson as their main guys.  Rafael Harvey-Pinard made a big jump last year, and they got World Champion Sam Montembeault in net.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Neutral said:

As the title says....

Canucks trade Beauvillier and Rathbone to Montreal for Edmundson. 

Pair Edmundson with Hronek if they mesh they both get new contracts to stay together. Allows the Canucks to use more of this cap space to sign a RHD to play with Hughes like a Scott Mayfield/Dumba/Gudas/Schenn OR more $ for a true #3C NOT Barbashev!

I like this type of deal except Montreal wants cap space? 

Edmundson 29 -6'5 tough, gritty #4 guy. -1yr X 3.5 UFA next summer will demand big Dollars?

Edmundson will be looking for 4.5 million next season..

46 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

He was included in a ‘buyer beware’ list of trade targets for the Canucks. Do you think he’d be worth a mid round pick for us?

Possibly.  I guess it depends on if there’s interest from more than one team.  Injuries have been the biggest issue in the last 2 years (like 3/4 of Montreal’s lineup) 

8 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Possibly.  I guess it depends on if there’s interest from more than one team.  Injuries have been the biggest issue in the last 2 years (like 3/4 of Montreal’s lineup) 

Ah, that’s good to know… 55, 24 and 61 games played last 3 years. He’s averaging 46 games per season

I’m really warming up to the idea of a trade like this - probably just taking on the player with maybe a later pick even rather than sending anything back.

Trading for Edmundson or maybe Forbort out of Boston are both nice ways to add some veteran size on the back end for reasonable AAV and without the risk of a multi-year deal. 

Would still be happy with one UFA D signing in addition to, but this seems like a smart play for our management.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I’m really warming up to the idea of a trade like this - probably just taking on the player with maybe a later pick even rather than sending anything back.

Trading for Edmundson or maybe Forbort out of Boston are both nice ways to add some veteran size on the back end for reasonable AAV and without the risk of a multi-year deal. 

Would still be happy with one UFA D signing in addition to, but this seems like a smart play for our management.

Same here. I’ve also seen Alec Martinez suggested, one year at $5.5M. 

• Cheers 2