The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Fill the roster with old mercenaries

Discussion in other threads has led me to think we could find some decent veteran talent on the UFA market for cheap.  And by veterans I mean old ass dinosaurs who can still clap the puck.  I'm just gonna lay out some names and you folks can discuss who you think could actually play well in Tocchet's system.  Not saying we get all five of these players - I'd be happy to take two.  Overlook the likelihood of these guys joining a non-playoff team.

Nick Foligno: The baby of this bunch at the young age of 35.  Utility forward who can put in a solid effort anywhere in the bottom six.  Doesn't kill penalties, however.  2x$2M.

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Text, Face, Head, Chart, Line ChartCould contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Accessories, Head, Text, Beard, Face

Paul Statsny: A bottom six center who has definitely lost a step, but can still slot up into a 2nd line role and PP time.  Scored some great goals in the playoffs.  2x$1.5M.

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Text, ChartCould contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, People, Text

Corey Perry: The infamous one.  Like everyone else here, his legs and scoring touch are gone, but he will absolutely play a hard-nosed game and make our bottom six more physical.  1x$1M.

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, TextCould contain: Person, Baseball Cap, Cap, Clothing, Hat, Text, People

Zach Parise: Ever since being bought out, he's kinda had a mini-renaissance and has played very good hockey for New York.  Seems unlikely to re-sign so he could fit anywhere on our team.  1x$950K.

Could contain: Person, Text, Chart, Plot, Face, Head, Number, SymbolCould contain: Helmet, Adult, Male, Man, Person, Text

Mark Giordano: Turning 40 in October, Gio looked absolutely cooked in the playoffs.  But he was one of the most consistent defencemen not only for Toronto, but the league in general.  Easily the biggest bargain player in the NHL last few years. 1x$1.1M. Gio would've been great for us but he is still on contract for one more year.  Maybe we can trick Treliving into giving him up for cheap?

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Text, Face, HeadCould contain: Text, Helmet, Hockey, Ice Hockey, Ice Hockey Stick, Rink, Skating, Sport

Edited by Bob.Loblaw
Giordano not UFA
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

If Giordano can hold down the fort on the LD with Hronek or Myers then definitely.

His primary linemates were Justin Holl and Rasmus Sandin.  100% he can do it with Hronek.  Myers... :mellow:

Edit: Totally forgot Toronto has Giordano locked down for one more year.  Shit.

Edited by Bob.Loblaw