7956 replies to this topic

#5611 old_time_hockey

old_time_hockey

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,609 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:24 AM

Aren't these things just going to blow the snow on top of people's cars?

No. What will happen is Vancouver will ban curbside parking during a snow event. But given the size of Vancouver side streets I don't get why they have one of those. All you could hope to do is cut a swath down the middle of a street. And really get to what? Half of the side streets?

In Kitimat they have a fleet of something like 10 of those things for a town that ever maxed out a population of 12,000. The town is planned with Cul-de-Sacs and cresent streets. A grader startes at the top of a crecent and around the cul-de-sac then back up the other side of the cresent. Shortly behind that comes the snow blower and it blows the snow onto the lawns on the street.

They also have a fleet of close to 20 sidewalk tractors that can be outfitted with a plow blade or a snow blower attachment depending on how much snow fell overnight. Once they clear a side walk shortly behind it will come a pick-up truck and spread a salt/sand mix. Keep in mind there is almost double the amount of sidewalk in this town KM wise than road. But during the winter some of the sidewalks don't get cleared. Like the one behind my parents house. X-country skiing just out your back door!

They also have about 10 of those big plow/sand trucks for the major streets. No town on earth clears more snow.
Posted Image

#6 David Musil. 26th among North American Skaters.
I stayed up to watch CDC click over 5,000,000 posts and all I got was this crappy line for my sig.

#5612 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,011 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:51 PM

No. What will happen is Vancouver will ban curbside parking during a snow event. But given the size of Vancouver side streets I don't get why they have one of those. All you could hope to do is cut a swath down the middle of a street. And really get to what? Half of the side streets?

In Kitimat they have a fleet of something like 10 of those things for a town that ever maxed out a population of 12,000. The town is planned with Cul-de-Sacs and cresent streets. A grader startes at the top of a crecent and around the cul-de-sac then back up the other side of the cresent. Shortly behind that comes the snow blower and it blows the snow onto the lawns on the street.

They also have a fleet of close to 20 sidewalk tractors that can be outfitted with a plow blade or a snow blower attachment depending on how much snow fell overnight. Once they clear a side walk shortly behind it will come a pick-up truck and spread a salt/sand mix. Keep in mind there is almost double the amount of sidewalk in this town KM wise than road. But during the winter some of the sidewalks don't get cleared. Like the one behind my parents house. X-country skiing just out your back door!

They also have about 10 of those big plow/sand trucks for the major streets. No town on earth clears more snow.

In a pinch I think you can hook up a salter/sander to one of those sidewalk tractors. How is it that kitimat can afford these things but good luck finding a cleared sidewalk in Vancouver (or burnaby, or....). I am suprised that kitimat had 20 though, were they clearing all the residential sidewalks too?

#5613 old_time_hockey

old_time_hockey

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,609 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:01 PM

In a pinch I think you can hook up a salter/sander to one of those sidewalk tractors. How is it that kitimat can afford these things but good luck finding a cleared sidewalk in Vancouver (or burnaby, or....). I am suprised that kitimat had 20 though, were they clearing all the residential sidewalks too?

Well they have so many because their budget for snow removal IIRC is greater than Vancouver, BBY and New West combined. You can also hook up a sweeper brush to it as well as a mower attachment too so you get double duty out of them. But any sidewalk that runs along a bus route is cleared. There aren't too many sidewalks along residential blocks. With the volume of traffic it is safe enough to just walk on the side of the road. The roads are wide. with a car parked on one side a grader can still get down the street to plow. But only fools do that because your car could be up to the door handles. That and the blocks aren't that big. If you look at this map: http://www.kitimat.c...-of-kitimat.pdf

Behind Gannet Cres there is a side walk behind it with a green belt/drainage creek (about 40' from sidewalk down to creek) that Drake, Egale, Egret and Fulmar St back onto. The sidewalk goes from Cormorant St. all the way to Nalabila Blvd. That and other sidewalks that are in behind a block on a green belt don't get plowed. Its a really pretty walk though on a summer evening. Often times see foxes and deer. Later in the evening bears and moose. They use it to transit town to get across Lahakas Blvd. to another green belt then to the river. But there are other sidewalks that will get you to where you are going that maybe aren't quite as direct.

Part of the side walk salt/sand crews job is also to dig out the fire hydrants. Every fall, city crews go out and mark them with 10' 2x4's that are painted red at the top. It isn't uncommon to have 7-10' of snow on your front yard.

You really have to see it to understand fully. All lower mainland people should have to spend a winter there so they can stop acting like 5cm of snow is the end of the earth. Try having to shovel your roof 2 times in one season. Or how about 2 weeks straight of 20cm/day. Give me snow over rain any day of the week. Wth snow you can throw on your boots and coat and go for a walk without getting wet.
Posted Image

I stayed up to watch CDC click over 5,000,000 posts and all I got was this crappy line for my sig.

#5614 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,454 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:11 PM

I expect to wake up to a blizzard today!
Lol but apparently we're supposed to get hit tonight
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#5615 FinFan

FinFan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:19 PM

It's so cold outside :(

No it's not...it's barely -1. It's -46 in Edmonton! Now that's cold.

#5616 old_time_hockey

old_time_hockey

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,609 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:37 PM

No it's not...it's barely -1. It's -46 in Edmonton! Now that's cold.

Yes, but it is a dry cold!

My wifes sister and husband live in Edmonton. He said the other day he forgot the block heater. Thankfully his batter has 1000 cranking amps and she JUST turned over.
Posted Image

#5617 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,011 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:13 PM

Yes, but it is a dry cold!

My wifes sister and husband live in Edmonton. He said the other day he forgot the block heater. Thankfully his batter has 1000 cranking amps and she JUST turned over.

It's a dry cold allright, anything wet freezes and is on the ground. Now if we could only get two weeks of that in BC and we could kiss the pine beatles good-bye.

Oh, and it doesn't matter if your going to the rodeo or not, you do care when it's -40.

#5618 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,011 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:19 PM

Well they have so many because their budget for snow removal IIRC is greater than Vancouver, BBY and New West combined. You can also hook up a sweeper brush to it as well as a mower attachment too so you get double duty out of them. But any sidewalk that runs along a bus route is cleared. There aren't too many sidewalks along residential blocks. With the volume of traffic it is safe enough to just walk on the side of the road. The roads are wide. with a car parked on one side a grader can still get down the street to plow. But only fools do that because your car could be up to the door handles. That and the blocks aren't that big. If you look at this map: http://www.kitimat.c...-of-kitimat.pdf

Behind Gannet Cres there is a side walk behind it with a green belt/drainage creek (about 40' from sidewalk down to creek) that Drake, Egale, Egret and Fulmar St back onto. The sidewalk goes from Cormorant St. all the way to Nalabila Blvd. That and other sidewalks that are in behind a block on a green belt don't get plowed. Its a really pretty walk though on a summer evening. Often times see foxes and deer. Later in the evening bears and moose. They use it to transit town to get across Lahakas Blvd. to another green belt then to the river. But there are other sidewalks that will get you to where you are going that maybe aren't quite as direct.

Part of the side walk salt/sand crews job is also to dig out the fire hydrants. Every fall, city crews go out and mark them with 10' 2x4's that are painted red at the top. It isn't uncommon to have 7-10' of snow on your front yard.

You really have to see it to understand fully. All lower mainland people should have to spend a winter there so they can stop acting like 5cm of snow is the end of the earth. Try having to shovel your roof 2 times in one season. Or how about 2 weeks straight of 20cm/day. Give me snow over rain any day of the week. Wth snow you can throw on your boots and coat and go for a walk without getting wet.

Wow, that sounds dangerous. I thought you made the roofs steep enough for it to fall off on it's own, so the only danger is getting crushed by ice walking along the side of the house?

Snow wouldn't be the end of the earth in Vancouver if they for example made a point of at least matching the snow removal effort of kitimat.

And yes, all that sidewalk equipment can be equiped to mow the parks and sweep the sidewalks in the summer. The value for money on such a purchase would be staggering. Plus you get some union jobs even a guy like me could justify.

#5619 turbanator

turbanator

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:46 PM

You deserve a +1, good sir :lol:

O pea, your pea looks like its smoking a fattie. You should change it to a christmas theme! I love your pea!

Its snowing here in Nanaimo again. Very little tho, but with a bit of wind so if we get some more snow this could turn out to be super fun!

Edited by Sukhi, 14 December 2009 - 03:46 PM.

Posted Image

#5620 Chris19

Chris19

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:47 PM

Metro Vancouver
3:35 PM PST Monday 14 December 2009
Freezing rain warning for
Metro Vancouver issued

Persons in or near this area should be on the lookout for adverse weather conditions and take necessary safety precautions. Watch for updated statements.

Please refer to the latest public forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through your local radio and television stations or Weatheradio.

It going to be a ugly morning commute tomorrow.

Snow is starting to fall at YVR right now.

Edited by Chris19, 14 December 2009 - 04:54 PM.

#5621 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:06 PM

Here we go, biggest winter storm since last December

Between 20-30 cm of snow could fall here in metro Vancouver, its also the top weather story on the Weather Network.

It's starting to come down right now here in North Delta, gonna be a bad evening rush hour and morning commute tommorow morning, yikes

I'm glad I dont work on the other side of th Fraser River.
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#5622 Chris19

Chris19

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:07 PM

We may even get 1-2 hours of freezing rain during the transition to warmer weather.

#5623 Princess Sundin

Princess Sundin

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:19 PM

Screw my life, I'm flying into Vancouver today I'm suppose to arrive in Vancouver at 11:27pm.... is it snowing really bad right now? hopefully it eases up.

#5624 Chris19

Chris19

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:27 PM

Screw my life, I'm flying into Vancouver today I'm suppose to arrive in Vancouver at 11:27pm.... is it snowing really bad right now? hopefully it eases up.

The flurries are on and off right now.

The snow should arrive later tonight.

#5625 Shaft

Shaft

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:32 PM

Hmm, enough snow to not go to work?

I think so! :D

#5626 d^/ > _ < \^b

d^/ > _ < \^b

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:44 PM

Hmm, enough snow to not go to work?

I think so! :D

maybe i won't have my PHYSUCKS exam tmrw too!!!! :)
Posted Image

#5627 canucksgirl1234

canucksgirl1234

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:01 PM

Don't know If any of you are located in Richmond but it was snowing pretty hard for a good 10 minutes. More snow tonight, perhaps?

#5628 d^/ > _ < \^b

d^/ > _ < \^b

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:05 PM

Don't know If any of you are located in Richmond but it was snowing pretty hard for a good 10 minutes. More snow tonight, perhaps?

yepp i live in richmond, coming down pretty fast too right now. maybe 10cm by midnight?
Posted Image

#5629 Chris19

Chris19

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:10 PM

Just got home from YVR and East Van is snowing heavily right now.

#5630 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,454 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:14 PM

just started in bby
looks like we'll be up early to shovel tomorrow :(
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#5631 canucksgirl1234

canucksgirl1234

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:14 PM

yepp i live in richmond, coming down pretty fast too right now. maybe 10cm by midnight?

I read your post and looked outside and i'm in awe and it wasn't that long ago when I checked to see if it was snowing.

#5632 Tenacious

Tenacious

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,976 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:15 PM

... aaaand here it comes in Fleetwood.

Posted Image

#5633 That Person

That Person

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:16 PM

Snowing in Victoria. I would say it's about time. It's been cold enough.

Edited by That Person, 14 December 2009 - 06:16 PM.

#5634 Denguin

Denguin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,526 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:16 PM

Just started in West Van. Pretty steadily too.

#5635 canucksrule10

canucksrule10

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:18 PM

OMG snow expected!!!!!!!!!

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
GoaltenderInterference

He will play, You know he'll play, He'll play on crutches, He'll play, and He'll play at Madison Square Gardens on Tuesday Night!

#5636 Hamhuis Hipcheck

Hamhuis Hipcheck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:21 PM

Augh, I have 2 exams tomorrow.

Don't wanna do it after the last exam date =(

NO SNOW PLZZ

#5637 please recycle

please recycle

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:22 PM

YAYYYY! SNOW IN VIC!

hopefully i won't be able to get to camosun tomorrow...then again probably not
Posted Image

#5638 trek

trek

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,134 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:24 PM

So what's the deal with the clearing-sidewalk law? If it's still snowing at 10am what's the point?

#5639 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:31 PM

OMG snow expected!!!!!!!!!

ORLY?

CANCEL SCHOOL! CANCEL SCHOOL! CANCEL SCHOOL!

Edited by MGaborik, 14 December 2009 - 06:31 PM.

Posted Image

#5640 JE14

JE14

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,194 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:36 PM

Just started in West Van. Pretty steadily too.

Where do ya live in West Van? Where I am it's not snowing.

Edit: It's snowing now. Have a 1/2cm line of snow on my deck.Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Χρυσός, 14 December 2009 - 06:39 PM.

st3sHOQ.png

CDCFL Bruins |  EHL Canucks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.