The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The MLB thread

Gretzky's Mullet

Wow, the Jays sure are a hard luck case this season. Joey Bats out and now Lawrie out too? If there's any plus side, it's that AA isn't going to feel too compelled to mortgage the future when his team is out of the division race and in really tough in the hunt just for a spot in a one-game playoff. I think that miserable trip to New York should probably show him that they're still not quite there yet. So while out of the All Star Break we were hearing Jose agitate for a bit more pitching. AA has his top two starters (Romero and Morrow) and his top two sluggers (Jose and EE) signed for 3+ more years. Lind and Escobar are also signed, should both seem worth keeping moving forward, and most of the young talent is also under some amount of club control for the near future. He'll have to figure out how much he wants to commit to Rasmus, who's due for a contract this off-season, but otherwise, the Blue Jays are well positioned for the next few years. There isn't a ton of talent in the free agent market (Greinke and Hamels headline the list, though Cole could very well re-sign in Philly before that), but AA might have more flexibility to trade if he waits until the off-season.

http://m.thestar.com/sports/baseball/mlb/article/1229411--toronto-blue-jays-trade-francisco-cordero-ben-francisco-to-houston-astros-in-10-player-trade-call-up-travis-snider

The Toronto Blue Jays have traded pitcher Francisco Cordero, outfielder Ben Francisco to the Houston Astros in a 10-player trade, the club announced Friday.

Left-handed pitcher J.A. Happ, right-handed pitchers Brandon Lyon and David Carpenter are headed to Toronto.

The Jays have also recalled outfielder Travis Snider from the minor leagues and he will dress for Friday night’s game against Boston.

Along with Cordero and Francisco, a package of four minor-leaguers and a player to be named are going the other way to Houston. The minor leaguers are: right-handed pitchers Asher Wojciechowski and Joe Musgrove, left-handed pitcher David Rollins, catcher Carlos Perez and a player to be named.

To make room on the 40-man roster, right-handed pitcher Robert Coello has been transferred to the 60-day disabled list.

The Jays have been in desperate need of pitching since three starters were lost to long-term injuries over the course of just four days in June.

Happ, a 29-year-old starter in his sixth major-league season, is the key piece of the deal for the Jays. The 6-foot-6 southpaw has a 7-9 record with a 4.83 ERA in 18 games this year, while accumulating 12 quality starts (at least six innings with three or fewer runs).

Both Perez and Wojciechowski are considered to be among the Jays’ top-10 prospects, but with the organization’s prospective depth at the catcher and pitcher positions, they became expendable.

The trading of extra outfielder Ben Francisco creates roster space for Snider, who could see starts in left field ahead of Rajai Davis. With Jose Bautista still nursing a wrist injury, the Jays outfield for the time being could have an average age of around 23, with 24-year-old Snider, 25-year-old Colby Rasmus and 21-year-old Anthony Gose.

Lyon, a 32-year-old right-hander, will help bolster the Jays injury-depleted and under-performing bullpen, which has been half-filled by minor-league replacements of late. Lyon, who was drafted by the Jays and made his major-league debut in Toronto in 2001, has posted a 3.75 ERA in 37 appearances this year.

I think it's too bad to trade Perez but he's very far down the catching depth chart, and there was little chance of him ever leapfrogging D'Arnaud, who could easily supplant Arencibia before too long. Happ hasn't been particularly sharp this year (I saw him live as the losing pitcher in Cain's perfect game, and he was terrible in that game), but he's been on the Jays' radar for a while, I believe he was one of the originally targeted players in the Halladay trade. I'm not sure what Houston's interest in Cordero is, being that they've got no chance at the playoffs this year and a free agent-to-be reliever has little value moving forward. More likely they were after the prospects and the Blue Jays had some they deemed expendable to acquire a pitcher.

If Happ can recapture the form from 2009 and 2010 that made him so sought after (eventually was part of the Oswalt trade I think), the Jays probably win this trade. If he's just the Happ that the Astros have seen, then I'd rather have the prospects.

I think it's too bad to trade Perez but he's very far down the catching depth chart, and there was little chance of him ever leapfrogging D'Arnaud, who could easily supplant Arencibia before too long. Happ hasn't been particularly sharp this year (I saw him live as the losing pitcher in Cain's perfect game, and he was terrible in that game), but he's been on the Jays' radar for a while, I believe he was one of the originally targeted players in the Halladay trade. I'm not sure what Houston's interest in Cordero is, being that they've got no chance at the playoffs this year and a free agent-to-be reliever has little value moving forward. More likely they were after the prospects and the Blue Jays had some they deemed expendable to acquire a pitcher.

If Happ can recapture the form from 2009 and 2010 that made him so sought after (eventually was part of the Oswalt trade I think), the Jays probably win this trade. If he's just the Happ that the Astros have seen, then I'd rather have the prospects.

Archived