The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

no I haven't, that's why I'm asking.

I've seen other systems on video where only one person can enter the gate at a time but from what I've seen thats not possible with these, is it?

To me, it seems simple to just hold it open and have people keep going through it. I only see having to go through 1 gate, if there were a 2 gate system I could see how it would be difficult.

You can't just hold it open. It's a common system used worldwide. Go travel.

I went to San Francisco recently and really enjoyed how on the BART you pay for distance travelled.

I'd be more inclined to use the Canada Line if it were like that here. My situation at the moment is that my station is the last station for one zone so if I travel south even one station I'd have to pay for a second zone.

Pros/cons?

I went to San Francisco recently and really enjoyed how on the BART you pay for distance travelled.

I'd be more inclined to use the Canada Line if it were like that here. My situation at the moment is that my station is the last station for one zone so if I travel south even one station I'd have to pay for a second zone.

Pros/cons?

Apparently Translink is open to the idea of introducing a fare-by-distance system, but first they want to collect data on ridership via the Compass system.

Pros/cons?

I hate that, I'm at Marine Drive too. I only go into zone 2 if I have to, or wait till it's all one zone.

I'm cheap like that :)

If it's purely distance based, you come out ahead. If it's still zone based, then it depends on if 2x 1 zone is cheaper than 1x 3 zone or not (I can't remember). Also, it's annoying to have to do this.

one 3 zone fare is equal to two 1 zone fares, so you're correct. It's just a waste of time on the skytrain and is only applicable to buses crossing zone boundaries.

This isn't a new problem either. People would just pay 1 zone fares saying they're getting off at a stop before the zone boundary and just stay on past the boundary. The bus driver isn't going to waste his time (and everyone else's for that matter) most of the time and kick you off the bus for $1.25.

one 3 zone fare is equal to two 1 zone fares, so you're correct. It's just a waste of time on the skytrain and is only applicable to buses crossing zone boundaries.

This isn't a new problem either. People would just pay 1 zone fares saying they're getting off at a stop before the zone boundary and just stay on past the boundary. The bus driver isn't going to waste his time (and everyone else's for that matter) most of the time and kick you off the bus for $1.25.

Incorrect, you would only pay 1 one zone fare. You have 90 minutes of travel included with your fare. So it's not a waste of time. 3-zone fare vs. 1-zone fare. Big difference that adds up over time.

Incorrect, you would only pay 1 one zone fare. You have 90 minutes of travel included with your fare. So it's not a waste of time. 3-zone fare vs. 1-zone fare. Big difference that adds up over time.

No, a 1 zone fare isn't just for travel in any zone as long as you stay in that zone. The moment you cross a boundary, the previous 1-zone fare is not valid in the next zone. For the example previous, scanning in in surrey (zone 3) then jumping out to scan out in surrey (zone 3) then riding the train to burrard (zone 1) to "scan in" then back onto the train and get off at waterfront (zone 1) would charge you for two 1-zone fares. A 1-zone fare is only valid in the zone the trip started in.

No, a 1 zone fare isn't just for travel in any zone as long as you stay in that zone. The moment you cross a boundary, the previous 1-zone fare is not valid in the next zone. For the example previous, scanning in in surrey (zone 3) then jumping out to scan out in surrey (zone 3) then riding the train to burrard (zone 1) to "scan in" then back onto the train and get off at waterfront (zone 1) would charge you for two 1-zone fares. A 1-zone fare is only valid in the zone the trip started in.

Is that right? Okay, that would make more sense then. My bad.

Is that right? Okay, that would make more sense then. My bad.

Yeah he's right. When you get your paper ticket it says "1 zone" (distance) and "Zone 1" (location) if you bought it in Vancouver. Vancouver is Zone 1, North of the Fraser is zone 2 (more or less), and south of the Fraser is Zone 3 (more or less). Your 1 zone ticket is only valid in the zone of purchase.

You can't buy a ticket in Surrey, ride the bus, then get a car ride from a friend into Vancouver and use the ticket on the bus there.

The only one you can kind of get away with some fishy stuff with is getting a 2 zone ticket in Zone 2. You could ride from Burnaby to Surrey and back, and then go out to Vancouver as well.

Edited by silverpig

The only one you can kind of get away with some fishy stuff with is getting a 2 zone ticket in Zone 2. You could ride from Burnaby to Surrey and back, and then go out to Vancouver as well.

And with compass, I would expect you wouldn't be able to do that anymore. It would probably register which zone you started in and which zone you ended in.

I love my U Pass. $30/month for 3 zone any time sounds more than fair to me

I hate the UPass. It's a gigantic waste of money for me. Even in my peak transit use months I end up spending double what I would if I bought single trip tickets.

Another vote for cars over transit.

I heard people in the huge lines saying they wished they had a car.

So once in a blue moon this happens on transit, and they'd ditch their car so they can go sit in daily traffic? People are dumb.

Edited by inane

Another vote for cars over transit.

I heard people in the huge lines saying they wished they had a car.

So once in a blue moon this happens on transit, and they'd ditch their car so they can go sit in daily traffic? People are dumb.

Traffic also sucked this morning FWIW. At least for me.