The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You gave your today for our tomorrow

Starbug

My 3 year old son was asking me about the poppy in my truck when I picked him up from daycare yesterday. I was trying to explain to him what it meant. A 3 year old obviously doesn't understand everything you're telling them but he knew what soldiers were. That night he explained to my wife that dad has a red flower in his truck and every time you see it you should think about the soldiers. He told her they are heroes and protect you from the bad guys just like Spiderman.

I was like wow, he got it. :)

• Upvote 3

Nice post. I hope Rememberance Day does not loose its meaning on some seeing as there is now a generational gap between now and the two world wars. Since it's not only remembering those who we have lost but those who are currently serving.

I've been to the Vimy Ridge Memorial and it was a truly humbling experience. Anyone traveling through Europe should go there if at all possible. Definitely makes you feel more Canadian.

• Upvote 1

My 3 year old son was asking me about the poppy in my truck when I picked him up from daycare yesterday. I was trying to explain to him what it meant. A 3 year old obviously doesn't understand everything you're telling them but he knew what soldiers were. That night he explained to my wife that dad has a red flower in his truck and every time you see it you should think about the soldiers. He told her they are heroes and protect you from the bad guys just like Spiderman.

Aww that's really sweet.

Your kid catches on quick. icon141801772.gif

edit: thanks harbinger

Edited by ahzdeen

Requiem For A Soldier

You never lived to see

What you gave to me

One shining dream of hope and love

Life and liberty

With a host of brave unknown soldiers

For your company, you will live forever

Here in our memory

In fields of sacrifice

Heroes paid the price

Young men who died for old men's wars

Gone to paradise

We are all one great band of brothers

And one day you'll see we can live together

When all the world is free

I wish you'd lived to see

All you gave to me

Your shining dream of hope and love

Life and liberty

We are all one great band of brothers

And one day you'll see - we can live together

When all the world is free

Let's never forget the sacrifices made by the brave people who gave up their lives to become soldiers to save our future. We owe so much to those who have served, and who are currently serving. We can argue on Canada's position in Afghanistan currently because we are a peace keeping nation, but the soldiers are only doing what they are told. All politics. Here's to hoping we don't see anymore Canadian flag draped coffins anymore.

Edited by Sukhi
  • Upvote 1

Nice tribute on Coaches Corner tonight.

We can argue on Canada's position in Afghanistan currently because we are a peace keeping nation

Just because Canada has a long history of going on UN peacekeeping missions it doesn't mean that is the only reason the Canadian Forces exists. The CF is an offensive force that is always ready to deploy around the world to defend the interests of Canada, the Commonwealth and it's allies.

Edited by old_time_hockey

I think this is a great idea, using the 'tools of today' to get their message across.

Vets storm YouTube in battle to educate Canadians about war

OTTAWA — Canada's war veterans are storming onto YouTube in a government bid to highlight their accomplishments and educate Canada's youth about Remembrance Day.

Veterans Affairs Canada launched a channel called Canada Remembers on the youtube.com video-sharing site Friday to bring the message of Remembrance Day to the Internet generation.

Over the weekend more than 67,000 people flocked to watch the videos and many contributed by uploading their own videos.

"The response has been overwhelming for us," said Heather MacDonald, a spokeswoman for Veteran Affairs. "We had no idea it would take off as it has."

MacDonald said people have been finding the Canada Remembers channel and a new page of the same name on the Facebook social networking site with little promotion by Veterans Affairs. There are already more than 6,000 different posts from people sharing personal video and photos with the world. Even more have contributed to forums and chat boards, sharing memories of family members who served overseas.

"There are veterans themselves that are posting comments on our Facebook page, such as an Afghanistan veteran or a Bosnian veteran," said MacDonald. "People are talking about their brothers and sisters in Afghanistan. They might be talking about their father who served overseas or their grandfather or grandmother who was part of World War II."

She also said, one message from Robert Thirsk, a Canadian astronaut currently aboard the International Space Station, was a particular surprise. Over the weekend Thirsk found the group on his own and recorded a YouTube video from space, sharing his observations about Sir John McCrae's poem In Flanders Fields and thanking Canada's veterans for all they have done.

"It's an honour to share this solemn moment with you as we remember the men and women of our Canadian Forces who have given their lives," says Thirsk in his video. "To all the men and women who are serving our country, I salute you."

Despite the buzz the online initiative has created among the veteran population, MacDonald believes the channel is also helping to educate average youth about why Remembrance Day is important.

"Youth is one of our primary demographics. And the reason we want to get youth involved is because they carry the torch or remembrance for future generations," she said. "We know that if we want to engage youth, we need to go to where youth are."

Google Inc., which owns YouTube, says Canadians are the heaviest users of YouTube on the planet. A recent study by Ipsos-Reid found that more than eight in 10 Canadians regularly visit the online video storehouse. The website sees more than 700 million searches for videos by Canadians every month.

According to a new poll released Monday by Ipsos-Reid for the Historica-Dominion Institute, approximately 13 million adult Canadians say they have a direct relative who has served as a member of the Canadian Forces during a war or conflict or is currently serving in the Canadian Forces.

The study also said 20 per cent of Canadians plan to attend an official Remembrance Day service on Nov. 11.

See the videos and join the Facebook page:

http://www.youtube.c...airsCa#p/search

http://www.facebook....CanadaRemembers

Edited by Starbug

It's 30 minutes away from November 11th over here, and this is my first time away from Canada on Remembrance Day since my family immigrated there. It feels weird not to have a poppy on hand for this day.

This feels really, really, really strange... And the fact that it does is a huge indicator of how much this day actually means to us Canadians, I think. Makes me want to pay a visit to the Canadian embassy later (since I get off work early today) just to see if they have poppies available.