1697 replies to this topic

#271 McMillan

McMillan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

You'll have a nerdgasm if you haven't looked at ASOIAF forums yet... there are things that happened in the books that you may not have even have noticed, as well as a lot of foreshadowing and fan theories. Plus links to a couple of preview chapters from winds of winter. One of them is really awesome, assuming you are a fan of the characters in them.

Where do I find these forums?

Posted Image

Thanks VC for the sig!

Demo was great, but I'm a two-way guy.

#272 butters

butters

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/

the winds of winter chapters are here a few pages down:
http://asoiaf.wester...inds-of-winter/

tried to find some other threads that were particularly good for you, but they are very buried right now.

Foreshadowing threads are always good. Little things you didn't notice threads are always good. There is a great thread somewhere with all the leading fan theories. There's also lots of wild and ridiculous speculation so be prepared for that.

I would mention a couple of specific things, but I don't want to spoil for anybody... I'll PM you tho.

#273 Blue90

Blue90

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

I think it was between half and 2/3, but it will be in season 3 regardless. It is known.

I'm on chapter 40 in book 3 right now...any idea how close I am?
*** WetBreasts is gonna make it Crew ***

#274 butters

butters

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

I'm on chapter 40 in book 3 right now...any idea how close I am?

Probably best not to know... the series is best left as surprise overall. Also, I'll warn you now that book 3 runs at a rapid pace and is very eventful, but book 4 and 5 are somewhat slower paced. The first time I read them I was someone disappointed in this, as I found myself racing through new characters to get to the ones I already knew. But when I read the series again, 4 and 5 ended up being my favorites because they added so much depth. So, generally speaking enjoy the journey... and you'll know that part when you get to it. Its awesome.

#275 No_More_Larchide

No_More_Larchide

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

Probably best not to know... the series is best left as surprise overall. Also, I'll warn you now that book 3 runs at a rapid pace and is very eventful, but book 4 and 5 are somewhat slower paced. The first time I read them I was someone disappointed in this, as I found myself racing through new characters to get to the ones I already knew. But when I read the series again, 4 and 5 ended up being my favorites because they added so much depth. So, generally speaking enjoy the journey... and you'll know that part when you get to it. Its awesome.

Ya, if by awesome you mean heartbreaking to the point where I had to put the book down for a week out of sheer anger, than yes... Its awesome
Larchide is spelled wrong on purpose....

#276 Tom-The-Great

Tom-The-Great

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

i had to re-read the chapter literally 3 times, because i kept thinking.. "there's no way that just happened."

#277 Blue90

Blue90

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

Wow

Edited by Blue90, 26 February 2013 - 09:18 PM.

#278 butters

butters

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

Ya, if by awesome you mean heartbreaking to the point where I had to put the book down for a week out of sheer anger, than yes... Its awesome

Which is a necessary ingredient for a story to really resonate. Its one of the things that sets the series apart, and thus enjoyable in retrospect.

Besides that, I didn't want to be a dick by hinting as to what sort of event it would be, so that people who are still reading don't get spoiled by it, so I chose my words carefully... :)

Edited by butters, 27 February 2013 - 12:23 AM.

#279 butters

butters

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

i had to re-read the chapter literally 3 times, because i kept thinking.. "there's no way that just happened."

Ya, I didn't quite process it right away either.

#280 Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

I reread the last chapter from the Wall a few times to make sure I understood clearly. Still don't think what happened actually happened.
Posted Image

#281 butters

butters

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

I reread the last chapter from the Wall a few times to make sure I understood clearly. Still don't think what happened actually happened.

The leading theory is that it did happen, but there are things at play that will push the outcome of that in a different direction. Maddeningly vague, but I don't want to spoil nothing for people who haven't gotten that far.

#282 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

HBO has a behind the scenes look at Season 3 - note may contain spoilers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acMEJUDzGFY

And for those having problems keeping everything on the show straight see:
http://viewers-guide...hrones/season2/
http://viewers-guide...guide/appendix/

As one blogger notes:

Last summer it was revealed that the upcoming third season of HBO’s Game of Thrones will only depict the first half of A Storm of Swords, the third book in the Song of Ice and Fire series. Fans of the books could readily see why: a lot happens in A Storm of Swords, even if you don’t count the shocking game-changer that appears about three-fourths of the way through.

Now that the third season premiere is nearing (and we have our first trailer) I sat down with the book to puzzle out what we’ll see and what will wait for Game of Thrones season 4.

Complete spoilers for Game of Thrones and ALL Song of Ice and Fire books ahead. Seriously, turn back now if you want to be at all surprised.

http://www.tor.com/b...storm-of-swords
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#283 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

ucuxpJV.png

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#284 No_More_Larchide

No_More_Larchide

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

^^ So awesome
Larchide is spelled wrong on purpose....

#285 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fPgIIB67bw

:lol:

Quite honestly, the funniest thing I have seen in a long time.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#286 EX_Bert_Worshipper

EX_Bert_Worshipper

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

:lol:

Quite honestly, the funniest thing I have seen in a long time.

Agreed - wow, that classic!
Posted Image

#287 Blue90

Blue90

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

You're right. After I finished book 3 I burned through book 4 which I still enjoyed. Just started book 5 tonight

Spoiler

#288 EX_Bert_Worshipper

EX_Bert_Worshipper

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:07 AM

Does book 5 pick up at all??? I hate to admit it, but 300 pages in and it's the first book of the series that I don't find myself aching to read. I'd heard that 4 was boring, but I loved it, so maybe there's hope? LOL
Posted Image

#289 Ovech Trick

Ovech Trick

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

I read the last/newst one in like 3 days, it was cray cray homies. Also Araya and danny are epic
Posted Image

Capitalist Hockey League - Minnesota Wild GM

#290 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

Sorry, I had to bump this 1995 GoT trailer. I cannot stop thinking about how incredibly awesome this is.

#291 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:07 AM

Sorry, I had to bump this 1995 GoT trailer. I cannot stop thinking about how incredibly awesome this is.

Same, lol. I would love to watch an episode of that show.

ucuxpJV.png

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#292 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • 24,554 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:51 AM

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#293 Beluga Whale

Beluga Whale

Trust me I'm a whale

• Members
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

bluuuuga.png

#294 Tom-The-Great

Tom-The-Great

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

season 3 is going to be epic

#295 Pasific Coluseum

Pasific Coluseum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:18 AM

This is one of the most overrated TV shows. I watch a couple of episodes and literally fell sleepy watching it. Too much CGI and special affects and not enough good acting. Too many characters to follow and its like a maze trying to figure out the plot.

Breaking Bad or Homeland are excellent TV shows that deserve the hype!

#296 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

This is one of the most overrated TV shows. I watch a couple of episodes and literally fell sleepy watching it. Too much CGI and special affects and not enough good acting. Too many characters to follow and its like a maze trying to figure out the plot.

Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. Not saying your wrong, not saying your right. In this instance, you are in the minority about your feelings towards GoT.

#297 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

also, learn the difference between affect and effect, especially annoying when used within an term like "special effect".

Edited by avelanch, 19 March 2013 - 10:08 AM.

#298 AllHailSmyl

AllHailSmyl

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

There is a lot that happens in the books, and the show would be more of a maze if it followed all the characters and plot lines from the book to a T. I would agree that it does take someone with a bigger attention span to really get into GoT from the get-go, but it is addictive once you do.

That made my day. I just about spat out my drink when they included the actor who plays Hodor in the opening credits!

By the way learn how to spell SHIRIKOV who is this shirakov

Amazingly on his first shift Kassian would have had a breakaway if Kesler knew how to pass. And he still got switched with Weiss. And note it is "Weiss" not "Wise".

#299 thedestroyerofworlds

thedestroyerofworlds

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

There is a lot that happens in the books, and the show would be more of a maze if it followed all the characters and plot lines from the book to a T. I would agree that it does take someone with a bigger attention span to really get into GoT from the get-go, but it is addictive once you do.

There is the difference between someone who "gets" GoT and someone who doesn't. Weak minded fools can go and watch the Bachelor or some "reality" crap and "real" people will watch the real adult orientated programs.

#300 Blue90

Blue90

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

Does book 5 pick up at all??? I hate to admit it, but 300 pages in and it's the first book of the series that I don't find myself aching to read. I'd heard that 4 was boring, but I loved it, so maybe there's hope? LOL

End of book 5 really picks up. I read through books 3, 4 and 5 in about a month and now I have to wait years for the next one?! :sadno:

While reading this I kept thinking there were only going to be 6 books and kept thinking how can they cram this all in one book?! Then I realized there was gonna be a seventh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.