The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

31 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Who did then? Unless I am not remembering what happened correctly even tho I watched it last night.

I don't recall anyone proposing independent holds, Sam said that why don't we let the people decide who is to be King/Queen and they all laughed at him for it. 

24 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:
cxbq4jgl7fz21.jpg?width=640&auto=webp&s=ef93aef9060e189861dbfcf91bbf3c6b30bbedcb

Thought the unsullied were cut.... root and stem?

Stuffed Codpiece to impress the ladies now that he doesn't have Missandei to bump and grind with anymore.  

Edited by Aladeen

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

k, i thought that was going to happen and then maybe thought someone proposed it lmao

Yah I think they were only looking for what wouldn't lead to more war at this point and I guess for what it's worth they chose the only route that wouldn't lead to immediate war.

Those who knew Bran and what he was would consider him wise and just.

Those that didn't know Bran saw him as a cripple and potentially easy target to take the throne away from in the future. 

But in reality Tyrion is the King in all but name. As I am sure the three-eyed raven cares more for other things than ruling the 6 Kingdoms. 

56 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

when Sam proposed the idea, I think it was him.

Like Aladeen said, Sam was proposing giving the common people the vote. All the Leaders of the various houses thought that was hilarious. AFAIK, no-one suggested independence except for Sansa and that was strictly for the North.

That actually brings up an interesting point about the "Kingsmoot": All of the assembled House leaders said "Aye" to Bran the Broken, however, If we assume that there was anyone there representing Bear Island, Karhold, Deepwood Motte or White Harbor, they were essentially voting for a King who became their former Monarch seconds later....

51 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Didn't seem like an idea worth laughing at considering the whole continent was at war over a single throne for the entire series, and wars because of that too in the story prior to the series

You have to consider the time frame that the story ostensibly takes place. It would be roughly equivalent to the Middle Ages. In that era, the ruling class would have found universal suffrage to be completely ridiculous. The average person was illiterate and more or less oblivious to political machinations.

17 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

Yah I think they were only looking for what wouldn't lead to more war at this point and I guess for what it's worth they chose the only route that wouldn't lead to immediate war.

Those who knew Bran and what he was would consider him wise and just.

Those that didn't know Bran saw him as a cripple and potentially easy target to take the throne away from in the future. 

But in reality Tyrion is the King in all but name. As I am sure the three-eyed raven cares more for other things than ruling the 6 Kingdoms. 

It would have been interesting to see Bran's search for Drogon....

As I see it, there are a few possibilities:

Old Valyria....taking Dany "home", as it were.

Dragonstone: Ditto...just a more "recent" home.

....and my personal favorite: In search of a Red Priest or priestess, so Dany could be "brought back".

Just imagine an undead Mad Queen riding Drogon back to KL to kick ass and chew bubblegum....

15 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

All the Leaders of the various houses thought that was hilarious.

Including Yara Greyjoy...  Don't the Greyjoys elect their leader lol?  God the last 15min were cringeworthy tbh.

14 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Like Aladeen said, Sam was proposing giving the common people the vote. All the Leaders of the various houses thought that was hilarious. AFAIK, no-one suggested independence except for Sansa and that was strictly for the North.

That actually brings up an interesting point about the "Kingsmoot": All of the assembled House leaders said "Aye" to Bran the Broken, however, If we assume that there was anyone there representing Bear Island, Karhold, Deepwood Motte or White Harbor, they were essentially voting for a King who became their former Monarch seconds later....

I think Sansa represented the entirety of the North unless the guy to her left was representing a Northern House.

Tyrion - Casterly Rock/Lannisport

Gendry Baratheon  - Storm's End

Ser Davos Seaworth - Dragonstone

Robin Arryn - All the Vale

Yohn Royce - Runestone (within the Vale)

Edmure - Riverlands

Yara - Iron Islands

Brienne - Tarth

Dornish Looking guy (most likely the new Prince referenced earlier) - Dorne

2 other newbs never seen before - one dressed as a southerner and one a northerner - my guess is one representative of Highgarden and one Representative of Karhold respectively.

So really only would have been one guy that would be applicable to and that would have been the rando-northerner.

4 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Including Yara Greyjoy...  Don't the Greyjoys elect their leader lol?  God the last 15min were cringeworthy tbh.

They do (that's why I referred to Bran's election as a "Kings Moot")....but playing the Devil's advocate here, there certainly didn't seem to be the entire population of the Iron Islands at Euron's election. It's possible that only the 'movers and shakers" amongst the Iron Born were there.

17 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

So how would you guys write the final season?  Assuming you had some creative control how would you finish the tv series?

• I would have had Arya kill Daenerys with the face of Greyworm - so she felt completely betrayed in the end. Arya would then be forced to flee and live life as a fugitive Queen slayer.
  • Jon would have taken the throne with Drogon loyal to him - why build up his history and lineage so much only to have it be meaningless in the end.
  • Bran would have gone north instead of Jon to retake his place under the tree or at least the one in Winterfell
  • Sansa would be Warden of the North not Queen
  • Tyrion would remain the hand but for Jon
  • Jaime and Cersei would have made it to Essos and lived a meager existence having to hide their identities for the rest of their lives but raising their child - with only Tyrion knowing the truth. 
  • Tormund and Brienne would have got it on.
  • I would have left the Clegane Bowl the same

But I will say understanding real life issues including contracts, time and executive pressure, I don't think the ending is as horrible as everyone makes it out to be. 

Edit: Just as a note I would have made it so Arya was sent south by Sansa to kill Daenerys in the first place, not to kill Cersei. 

Edited by Aladeen
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

I think Sansa represented the entirety of the North unless the guy to her left was representing a Northern House.

Tyrion - Casterly Rock/Lannisport

Gendry Baratheon  - Storm's End

Ser Davos Seaworth - Dragonstone

Robin Arryn - All the Vale

Yohn Royce - Runestone (within the Vale)

Edmure - Riverlands

Yara - Iron Islands

Brienne - Tarth

Dornish Looking guy (most likely the new Prince referenced earlier) - Dorne

2 other newbs never seen before - one dressed as a southerner and one a northerner - my guess is one representative of Highgarden and one Representative of Karhold respectively.

So really only would have been one guy that would be applicable to and that would have been the rando-northerner.

I'm wondering where Wyman Manderley was....

White Harbor is the only "city" in the North and although he owes allegiance to House Stark, it didn't seem to prevent other places from having multiple representatives there.

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm wondering where Wyman Manderley was....

White Harbor is the only "city" in the North and although he owes allegiance to House Stark, it didn't seem to prevent other places from having multiple representatives there.

Could have been the southerner for sure (well his representative anyway), I just suspected it was Highgarden until Bronn could have it turned over to him.

Though I do wish we could have seen how Tyrion convinced Bran to do that, unless Bran ultimately doesn't care at all what he does and I think that is what the ending with the small council was saying. 

Edited by Aladeen

1 minute ago, Aladeen said:

Could have been the southerner for sure (well his representative anyway), I just suspected it was Highgarden until Bronn could have it turned over to him.

Though I do wish we could have seen how Tyrion convinced Bran to do that, unless Bran ultimately doesn't care at all what he does and I think that is what the ending with the small council was saying. 

Yeah, I think Bran is a bit of a "hands off" kind of ruler. He's content with leaving minor concerns like the finances of the 6 kindoms to his underlings to sort out, while he goes Dragon watching...

They made a point of saying Tyrion was going to "correct his mistakes"...I think the gist is that Bran is going to let him do so in his own way and if he falls flat on his face, so be it.

BTW: Why the hell does he need a Master of Whisperers? He already knows everything...

• Upvote 1

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah, I think Bran is a bit of a "hands off" kind of ruler. He's content with leaving minor concerns like the finances of the 6 kindoms to his underlings to sort out, while he goes Dragon watching...

They made a point of saying Tyrion was going to "correct his mistakes"...I think the gist is that Bran is going to let him do so in his own way and if he falls flat on his face, so be it.

BTW: Why the hell does he need a Master of Whisperers? He already knows everything...

Hahaha that is a great point I never thought of... but I suppose it would be for Tyrion more than Bran. 

1 hour ago, Aladeen said:
  • I would have had Arya kill Daenerys with the face of Greyworm - so she felt completely betrayed in the end. Arya would then be forced to flee and live life as a fugitive Queen slayer.
  • Jon would have taken the throne with Drogon loyal to him - why build up his history and lineage so much only to have it be meaningless in the end.
  • Bran would have gone north instead of Jon to retake his place under the tree or at least the one in Winterfell
  • Sansa would be Warden of the North not Queen
  • Tyrion would remain the hand but for Jon
  • Jaime and Cersei would have made it to Essos and lived a meager existence having to hide their identities for the rest of their lives but raising their child - with only Tyrion knowing the truth. 
  • Tormund and Brienne would have got it on.
  • I would have left the Clegane Bowl the same

But I will say understanding real life issues including contracts, time and executive pressure, I don't think the ending is as horrible as everyone makes it out to be. 

Edit: Just as a note I would have made it so Arya was sent south by Sansa to kill Daenerys in the first place, not to kill Cersei. 

Assuming I had to do the Long Night battle first I think I would have Jorah survive the battle of winterfell and have a battle between Jon and the NK on dragons, Jon and his dragon gets fatally wounded and Arya finishes the NK off.  Dany goes mad seeing both Jon and Viserys(sp?) die, she goes nuts on Kings Landing and its Jorah that ends up killing her after what's left of her army gets wiped out by the Golden Company and their Elephants!  Jorah takes the black and becomes the Lord Commander just like his father did.

But a better finale would've been to switch the two battles, since the two sides couldn't put their differences aside, Dany obliterates Cersei's army - Jaime kills Cersei and himself via murder suicide when they know they've lost.  They come back North with a depleted army and one by one each remaining cast member gets killed in battle and the final scene plays out like the NK's final scene.  He walks up to Bran, places his hand on him and you get 2min of flashbacks and new footage as the screen fades to black and the show ends.

• Like 1