The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yann Sauve Talk

Hodgson 91

Does Sauve lay any body?

Don't get the chance to follow much of junior hockey so i like to read these threads.

Do you mean is he a physical player? Then yeah thats one of the strong parts of him game. Being 6'3" 220 pounds, this guy can really throw the body checks from what I've seen. He can also play with a mean streak, and is more effective when he does, ala Kevin Bieksa. The one part of his game that was said to be lacking was his offensive game, but it looks like that is coming along nicely this year since he has 16 points in 21 games.

If you knew anything about Yann Sauve you would know he was at 1 time projected to go in the 1strd and was expected to have alot more offensive upside. He's been a disappointment in terms of a junior player when compared to what he was projected to be. He's no where close to being an NHL player, he has a big problem thinking the game and turns the puck over all the time. His problems are problems that are magnafied at the pro level, hes going to have a huge adjustment period.

This is his 4th year of junior, if he wasnt one of the best players on the ice every single game he would be a complete flop. Hes a year older and has no more pts than Despres who doesnt have much offensive upside. He has alot of natural ability, hes big, and he can skate. Thats why he was a 2nd rd pick, but don't be fooled Sauve is a project and hes no gurantee to ever be an impact player in the NHL. He wasnt even of the WJC radar going into this season which is a big red flag at his age and his draft position. Hopefully with his improved play and numbers this year he will make the team, but hes no shoe in.

Yann is +21 and 16 points, Desperes is +7 and 14 points and was a 1st round pick.

Yann is +21 and 16 points, Desperes is +7 and 14 points and was a 1st round pick.

You have to remember that Despres is also a year younger. It makes sense for Sauve to be a year ahead in terms of development, experience, and size, not to mention that Despres is known for freezing in key situations in his draft year.

When i posted that they both had 14pts. Sauve is a year older than Despres, in junior hockey 1 year is a MASSIVE gap between development. Sauve should be amongst the best players in the entire CHL at this point in his development, and yet chances are he won't make the WJC team in his last year of eligibility. I like the kid and hes got some good upside, but hes defenitly a project and hes been a disappointment as a junior player when you look at what he was projected to be.

He's looked very average in the Q Russia game tonight, and thats concerning. At this point anything less than dominating his age group is not a good sign. He made a really bad read and pinched that directly resuted in his man getting a break away at the start of the 3rd. Like i said he hasn't been bad, but anything less than dominating is underachieving at this point. Despres has been more impressive in this game and thats not a good sign seeing as he has also seen his stock drop in the last calender year.

From hockeysfuture.com

Originally expected to be a two-way defenseman with good size and skating, Sauve’s offensive game has not developed as fast as the rest of his skills. Sauve is a big, mean defender in his own zone who is physically strong and good positionally. However, he tends to get into trouble when he has the puck. His puck-handling skills could use some improvement and his decision making with the puck is generally poor. Right now he is on track to become a one-dimensional defensive d-man. The Canucks hope the other facets of his game can evolve over time.

Sauve is a long-term project who will most likely needing further seasoning in the minor pro ranks. Sauve was once more highly touted than he is today and considered to have greater offensive potential. If he can recapture those skills, Sauve could potentially be a sleeper pick. More realistically, Sauve is on track to be a steady and reliable second pairing defender in about four years for the Canucks.

I don't think anyone is expecting him to step in right away of ever be a Norris candidate.

I could see him finishing his junior career and then taking at least 2 years in the AHL to develop. Don't be surprised if he is 23 before he plays a full NHL season. but that's not a terrible thing, you can't expect 2nd rounder to step in right away and be impact players.

Wasn't Sauve compared to Doughty a while back?

He was at one point but he didn't develop. His offensive game never took the step scouts thought it would, he's now primarily a defensive dman with slightly above average offensive skills. It was a very good pick in the 2nd rd but people need to put him in perspective, like just said he could easily be 23 before he makes the roster. Im not knocking him, he just hasn't developed at the pace he was expected to. He needs alot of seasoning but should still be a very good NHL player in the future.

He was at one point but he didn't develop. His offensive game never took the step scouts thought it would, he's now primarily a defensive dman with slightly above average offensive skills. It was a very good pick in the 2nd rd but people need to put him in perspective, like just said he could easily be 23 before he makes the roster. Im not knocking him, he just hasn't developed at the pace he was expected to. He needs alot of seasoning but should still be a very good NHL player in the future.

That says a lot about him. We know the potential is there.

Get him to the Giants and have him learn under Don Hay :lol:

Isin't he leading the qmhjl in +.

He would be a great replacement for mitchell.

Maybe after this year 2 years with the moose with the occasional call up.

Yann isn't a Willie Mitchell type player, hes going to be more of an Ohlund kind of player. Not saying that good, or that he wont be that good. Just that he would be more that type of player, doesn't read the play as well as either of them do at this point but thats something that can be developed.

No points tonight for Yanni boy...He played alright from what I saw, made a few mistakes (one that led to a goal). Don't be too concerned about the lack of points though, the coach clearly plays a conservative game, and doesn't take too many chances (probably cause the russians are fast and skilled). Only one defenceman put up any points though, so don't lose all hope for Sauve. wink.gif

No points tonight for Yanni boy...He played alright from what I saw, made a few mistakes (one that led to a goal). Don't be too concerned about the lack of points though, the coach clearly plays a conservative game, and doesn't take too many chances (probably cause the russians are fast and skilled). Only one defenceman put up any points though, so don't lose all hope for Sauve. wink.gif

I wish I could have watched the game, we didn't get it here in Chicago. Also, LMAO at a QMJHL coach knowing HOW to play a defensive/conservative game.

Plus Sauve was the only defenceman who didn't play the powerplay (as far as I can tell). Why that is, I don't know because he looked to have one of the better point shots on the team and almost scored one in the first.

Watching him at training camp, I was never really impressed with him. Alot of Canuck fans really over hyped this 2nd round pick. Saying how good he was. My personal view was he was not as good a some Canuck fans were saying. His decision making abilities is kinda limited in the offensive zone. He is one of those players that if you really pressure him really quickly, he will either throw it down the boards, or just throw it foward just to avoid a giveaway to the other team. Not a very "poised" dman in the offensive zone.

But keep in mind that was during training camp. His offensive abilities were very limited. Overall he didn't really stand out to me.

But keep in mind what I said above was during training camp. So far it looks like he's having a real good year, and his offensive production has gone up and his +/- looks solid. Chances are he improved ever since he left our training camp.

Last night's game I didn't think he looked that bad. Was he awesomeness? no, was he terrible? hell no, he was ok. Certain players will play on the power play, and he wasn't one of those guys. Nothing wrong with that. It's already pretty good he made the QMJHL team, and was able to play twice so thats a good thing. Infact he made the team, because he's one of the best defencemens available in the QMJHL. I think it's totally unfair to say he must dominate the game or else, theres a problem in his game. WAs there one defencemen that really "dominated" the game or was a standout and men amongs boys? If you ask me, not really, he was = with all the other DMAN's on the team. Gormley was probably the best dman out there, but so what? It's kinda expected and he should be the best dman.

Overall grade :

I guess most of us expected more, but for him to even make the team is a good thing, cause as we know, the QMJHL will select the best players avaiable to them from their leauge. Jann Sauve was one of them. He was held pointless, big deal. He played the Shane O Brien role for their team as a bottom pairing DMAN. He still has a chance at making the NHL. I think one guy here said he will make it next year. I kinda shake my head at that comment. He's still at least 2 full years away not counting this year to making the NHL.

Archived