#6151 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,103 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:15 AM

da lst movie i saw was saving private ryan 5/10 too unrealistic imo

So much poopyness in that post. Just WOW.

Kershaw_zps0cb5a848.jpg

#6152 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,998 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:54 AM

Lincoln - 8.5/10

It's dry and slow, but that's what I expected. As always, worth it for Daniel Day Lewis alone. Greatest living actor imo. The other fun part was the fact that practically every actor in the movie was vaguely familiar but impossible to pin down under the makeup/costumes. The guy who played Gale Betticker on Breaking Bad damn near stole the climactic scene. Tommy Lee Jones was surprisingly good, I'm not usually a fan.

Basically, worth seeing if you're a fan of quality acting or interested in the specific details of history.

#6153 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

The Hobbit: An easy 10/10. Eons better than any movie this year. Avengers who? Bilbo Baggins, that's who.

#6154 Canuck_83

Canuck_83

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:47 AM

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 9/10

I really enjoyed it. Thought it was fun and entertaining. Didn't think there was a boring moment, although
Spoiler

Edited by Canuck_83, 15 December 2012 - 03:48 AM.

#6155 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,668 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:43 AM

are you kidding? the gollum and bilbo scene, which was 10 minutes, could have been shorter? that scene was a warm, warm welcome from the ridiculous, childish chase scenes that it was interrupting

you didn't think the... you know, 15 catch-and-escape scenes that came before and after it could have been shorter?

zzz

the hobbit 7/10, and that's being generous
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#6156 Canuck_83

Canuck_83

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:08 AM

are you kidding? the gollum and bilbo scene, which was 10 minutes, could have been shorter? that scene was a warm, warm welcome from the ridiculous, childish chase scenes that it was interrupting

you didn't think the... you know, 15 catch-and-escape scenes that came before and after it could have been shorter?

zzz

the hobbit 7/10, and that's being generous

That was just my opinion...

#6157 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:18 AM

Last movie I saw was the underrated (in my opinion) Savages. Directed by Oliver Stone, it centers around two Laguna pot growers, one a former Navy SEAL, the other a peaceful, charitable Buddhist, and their "shared" girlfriend (played by the sultry Blake Lively). They end up fighting a Mexican drug cartel after the cartel kidnaps their girlfriend. I enjoyed this film because it was unconventional, quirky and at times very suspenseful...overall an 8 out of 10, Salma Hayek's character Elena is also a bonus.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#6158 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:31 AM

The Hobbit: An easy 10/10. Eons better than any movie this year. Avengers who? Bilbo Baggins, that's who.

Not even CLOSE to 10/10, man. 8 is being generous...I'd say somewhere in the 7-7.5 range, to be honest. I think in many cases the hype overwhelms the actual movie, and this is one of those cases.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#6159 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,869 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

I hope you weren't suggesting Avengers was one of the best movies of the year. That's something my 8 year-old nephew would claim.

Edit: And the only flaw he found with it was that they didn't get Optimus Prime to join the team.

Edited by :D, 15 December 2012 - 08:31 AM.

#6160 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

Watch The Departed, Inception, Blood Diamond and The Aviator.

He's a great actor.

What he said. I wasn't a big fan of Leo DiCaprio after Titanic. But over the years he's been putting his stamp on the industry.

Looking forward to The Great Gatsby in 2013.
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#6161 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

I hope you weren't suggesting Avengers was one of the best movies of the year. That's something my 8 year-old nephew would claim.

Edit: And the only flaw he found with it was that they didn't get Optimus Prime to join the team.

I was suggesting that the Avengers broke a lot of records, I also believe it was over hyped. If you read the books you would be enlightened by the Hobbit. It had the best graphics of the year, it was hilarious and of course had the fighting scenes. To me it was easily 10/10, if you disagree you disagree. It is the best movie of the year.

#6162 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

I was suggesting that the Avengers broke a lot of records, I also believe it was over hyped. If you read the books you would be enlightened by the Hobbit. It had the best graphics of the year, it was hilarious and of course had the fighting scenes. To me it was easily 10/10, if you disagree you disagree. It is the best movie of the year.

I was going to suggest for him to read the book too but I thought why bother, if he didn't like it I doubt reading the book will change his opinion.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#6163 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

I was going to suggest for him to read the book too but I thought why bother, if he didn't like it I doubt reading the book will change his opinion.

First of all, the book was 350 pages long if that and didn't need to be split in to 3 feature length movies to start with...second of all, the chase scenes were just agonizingly interminable...
Posted Image

#6164 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,918 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

The Tourist - 4.5/10

Not terrible, but it was definetly forgettable. Not sure about the chemistry between Jolie and Depp. Wasn't believable that she was in love with him in any way. More worried about him than anything. Have to say, it was better than I expected though. High point was Timothy Dalton. Can't watch a movie with him without thinking about Hot Fuzz.

LOVE Hot Fuzz. So hilarious. 9/10 for me.

The Tourist may have been fluff, but compared to other fluff I actually enjoyed it. 7/10.
Posted Image

#6165 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,918 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

Finally got to watch Shutter Island and it gets a 10/10. But then again, I really, really like this kind of movie. Could have sworn Leo was channeling Boston Rob at times but all in all, more than worth the 138 minutes spent watching it while wrapping Christmas presents. I've never been a Leonardo DiCaprio fan (harking back to Titanic days :sick: ) but I thought he was incredible in the role of Teddy Daniels. Loved the whole 1940s setting and the feel to the movie...... and that feeling of every time you think you've figured something out in the plot it turns out not to be so. I know some hate that feeling of wandering around in circles within circles while watching a movie but Scorsese does that to the viewer most masterfully in this film.

Sent several unrepeatable comments in the direction of the television as TD walked down those stairs at the end, though......... now checking Amazon to purchase the book. Which is usually the other way around for me...... book first, then watch the movie.

Didn't know there was someone on here who loved Shutter Island even more than I did. It pulled me in, and made me think about the ending for weeks. 9.5 for me. And I'm not even much of a Leo OR Scorcese fan (appreciate/respect both, but this is definitely my favourite film by either of them).

The dream sequence with the ashes was one of the most compelling visuals I have ever seen in a movie.
Posted Image

#6166 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

First of all, the book was 350 pages long if that and didn't need to be split in to 3 feature length movies to start with...second of all, the chase scenes were just agonizingly interminable...

I don't agree with it being made into three separate movies either.

#6167 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,265 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

South Park: bigger longer uncut. 8/10. Need more cartoon satires like this. Now all we get is how to train your dragon, shrek and friggen gnomeo and Juliette among other nonsense...
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#6168 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

Lp
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#6169 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

South Park: bigger longer uncut. 8/10. Need more cartoon satires like this. Now all we get is how to train your dragon, shrek and friggen gnomeo and Juliette among other nonsense...

Did you just compare South Park to children's animated movies??

#6170 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,265 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

No. Just making a point that there are too many children dreamworks films and not enough films like South Park that actually discuss world related issues in an entertaining manner rather than just there for the purpose of keeping younglings quiet for an hour and a half.
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#6171 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:43 AM

there be dragons - 0/10. I came into sitting on my couch thinking there were gonna be dragons

Spoiler

So much poopyness in that post. Just WOW.

The D-Day landings did not take 10 minutes to fight. More like 2 or 3 days.

Edited by The Wizard of AZ, 16 December 2012 - 12:52 AM.

Posted Image

#6172 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:46 AM

No. Just making a point that there are too many children dreamworks films and not enough films like South Park that actually discuss world related issues in an entertaining manner rather than just there for the purpose of keeping younglings quiet for an hour and a half.

Ok, just making sure.

I do agree with you however.

#6173 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

Assault On Precinct 13 (2005): 6.5/10

Meh, it was ok.

**RETIRED...**

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

11477626583_2368927097.jpg     49997_b70e6ae14ce1652fa11bd1dda624afd1.g   7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#6174 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey: 9/10

A lot better than I expected, after reading reviews. The 64fps did take quite a while to get used to. I found it very offputting until the troll scene, at which point it was fine. The beginning 10-15 minutes with Ian Holm and Elijah Wood were unnecessary. Ate up a lot of time that could have (or not) been spent on something else.

The film really picked up at the troll scene and Rivendale (which looked gorgeous). You absolutely have to go in not comparing it to LOTR because the tone of the book is already much lighter than. Same world, much different story. Absolutely loved it.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#6175 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

Didn't know there was someone on here who loved Shutter Island even more than I did. It pulled me in, and made me think about the ending for weeks. 9.5 for me. And I'm not even much of a Leo OR Scorcese fan (appreciate/respect both, but this is definitely my favourite film by either of them).

The dream sequence with the ashes was one of the most compelling visuals I have ever seen in a movie.

I also liked the Shutter Island film.. the ending had me Googling for an hour or so.

The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey: 9/10

A lot better than I expected, after reading reviews. The 64fps did take quite a while to get used to. I found it very offputting until the troll scene, at which point it was fine. The beginning 10-15 minutes with Ian Holm and Elijah Wood were unnecessary. Ate up a lot of time that could have (or not) been spent on something else.

The film really picked up at the troll scene and Rivendale (which looked gorgeous). You absolutely have to go in not comparing it to LOTR because the tone of the book is already much lighter than. Same world, much different story. Absolutely loved it.

Wife and I saw all these showings for that high frame rate version but stuck to IMAX 3D.

I'd probably give it a 8/10.

Edited by zaibatsu, 17 December 2012 - 10:36 AM.

#6176 mcgillnuck

mcgillnuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

Assault On Precinct 13 (2005): 6.5/10

Meh, it was ok.

I watched that this week as well, and while the original is clearly much better, I ended up enjoying the remake way more than I thought I would. It's extremely formulaic and it the plot requires a lot of suspension of disbelief, but the setup was actually pretty cool, Laurence Fishburne was in full Morpheus mode which was awesome, and the action sequences were pretty well done. It's pretty obvious who's going to live and die in the end, but it's fun to guess which character is going to be offed next. I'd give it a 7/10. But the original really is much better.

Rushmore 8.5/10 - I hadn't seen it in years and Walmart had it on for $5 so I picked it up. It's still really great, but not quite as good as I remember it being. I definitely like The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic more. Maybe even Moonrise Kingdom too. But man is Bill Murray ever hilarious in this.

Props to canuckbuddy for the sig

#6177 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

The Matador - 8.5/10

I absolutely love this movie. We bought it about 6 years ago and hadn't watched it since. I remember really enjoying it though. Watched it last week and absolutely loved it. The last time Pierce Brosnan showed acting chops like this was in Dante's Peak.

In all seriousness though, this is such a gem. Giving serious thought of placing this in my top 10 films of 2000-2010. Highly, highly recommend everyone to take a look at it. Highly.

#6178 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

Recently watched After the Sunset again

6.5/10 Fun little caper, great way to kill a couple of hours.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#6179 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,869 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:25 AM

Saw The Hobbit tonight 8/10

I saw the high framerate showing, and it was just a beautiful movie.

Loved the lead-in dwarf story, but a lot of the rest of it was just meh. I was very young when I had read the book so I don't remember a lot of the dialogue, but I didn't care for the injected humour.

Highlight of the night: Oz, the Great and Powerful trailer.

#6180 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:08 AM

Highlight of the night: Oz, the Great and Powerful trailer.

Really? Maybe it's just me, but it looks absolutely awful. Another "all style no substance" film (see: Alice In Wonderland). Also, Mila Kunis can't act at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.