The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who's ever been to Nanaimo?

morello_the_god

I live in the Nicol st. area, on victoria road. This place is horrid in comparison to everywhere else. Nanaimo is not that bad, not nearly as bad as what people on here are saying it is. They don't know anything, just keep spewing crap and generalizing a whole city with next to no knowledge.

North nanaimo is fantastic!

As for south nanaimo... well the issue was the large number of homeless people and the visibility of high drug use. But in the past 7 months this city has taken large initiatives to fix this place up. The downtown area is not nearly as scary as it was last year.

you haven't been back to Nanaimo in awhile I can tell

South Nanaimo is changing and 2 of the largest developments (Cable Bay and Sandstone) to ever to occur in Nanaimo are proposed for the South. The area has alot more charector IMO then North Nanaimo which is just shopping malls and vinyl sided houses (boring!!). The only real problem area in S. Nanaimo is the Nicol St./Haliburton corridor. The Old City has some fantastic charector houses and Chase River has some great rural lots nearby schools, stores and parks.

Unlike Richmond and Langley (ugh horrible place) S. Nanaimo and N. Nanaimo are part of the same city although you are right they both have enough services so that residents don't have to make too many cross town trips.

Where are the 5m homes and stables you are talking about-- do you mean Lantzville which isn't part of Nanaimo.

Funny, i know a few people over there and that doesn't sound like them at all. They live on a great fishing lake in peace & quiet. They have to use a ferry to commute to work but don't mind. That doesn't sound NEARLY as desireable as your world, does it.

BTW..... i don't know how to make soap - i just fulfill some people's dreams . ;)

Hey, just go to the saturday (or is it sunday) market and you will see the space cowboys and soap sellers, don't you worry.

My gf grew up there and although my description might not match everyone it matches more than enough.

Your right about using a ferry to commute not being very desirable to me though, or I would already be living on an island with all the funnies, frequently making jokes at the expense of and generally hating my favorite people to use my all time ethnic slur against, the god damn mainlanders! Just make sure you get your teenage daughters off island before they hit 14!

you haven't been back to Nanaimo in awhile I can tell

South Nanaimo is changing and 2 of the largest developments (Cable Bay and Sandstone) to ever to occur in Nanaimo are proposed for the South. The area has alot more charector IMO then North Nanaimo which is just shopping malls and vinyl sided houses (boring!!). The only real problem area in S. Nanaimo is the Nicol St./Haliburton corridor. The Old City has some fantastic charector houses and Chase River has some great rural lots nearby schools, stores and parks.

Unlike Richmond and Langley (ugh horrible place) S. Nanaimo and N. Nanaimo are part of the same city although you are right they both have enough services so that residents don't have to make too many cross town trips.

Where are the 5m homes and stables you are talking about-- do you mean Lantzville which isn't part of Nanaimo.

Why the frack would you want to be on Salt Spring Island? I worked there for just over a year, & it was the worst year of my life. The people that live there are like people from a different universe. To call anyone born/raised on Saltspring a Canadian would be an insult to the rest of us.

If you haven't been to Salt Spring before, do yourself a huge favor NEVER NEVER visit.

Archived