The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Lions/CFL 2012 Season thread

Canucks_fo_life

Running back Jesse Lumsden's stay with the Edmonton Eskimos has come to an end.

The club announced on Wednesday that they released the Burlington, Ont., native.

''Unfortunately, this is a side of the business I've seen before in another league in another time, but it's not going to deter me away from working towards getting back onto the field in 2010,'' Lumsden said.

''The timing isn't great for me, but this is part of the nasty side of the business; to be released before training camp and after a draft,'' Lumsden said. ''For anybody that knows me on a personal level knows that I'm going to use this as a stepping stone and try to create an opportunity out of it.''

Lumsden, who joined the Eskimos as a free agent before the start of the 2009 season, suffered a season-ending shoulder injury in the first game of the season against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

''It is frustrating and it is disappointing,'' he said. ''When you work so hard for something for however many years and it has been taken away from you at the snap of a finger on several occasions, sometimes it's hard to find a positive. I just look to what I can do better and what I can do next.''

Eskimos general manager Danny Macocia said the decision to move on without Lumsden was disappointing on a number of levels.

"Jesse has worked hard to rehab the shoulder but he does not yet have medical clearance to play football,'' Macocia said in a statement. ''I know he was excited to embark on a new chapter of his career in Edmonton, and we felt he would be an excellent fit for the Eskimos. Jesse is a young man of great character who's battled back before. Our entire organization wishes him the best.''

Lumsden, who was the sixth overall selection in the 2005 CFL Canadian Draft, racked up 1797 yards with nine touchdowns on 285 carries in 30 career games. He also had 49 receptions for 630 yards and two touchdowns during that span.

Lumsden recently participated in the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics in bobsled with Pierre Lueders, finishing fifth both in the two-man and in the four-man events.

''It would be easy for me to quit and walk away from football and do something else, but I love the sport and I truly feel that I [still] belong in the sport. I don't believe that my time is done yet.''

One question that will undoubtedly come up is whether or not there's a market for his services.

According to TSN's CFL Insider Dave Naylor of The Globe and Mail, it's unlikely another team would be willing to make him a starting running back. And with minimal experience playing special teams, his best bet would be to earn a role as a backup running back. Naylor adds that even at that, he is regarded as a high-risk player which puts his future in some doubt.

LOL at Geroy Simon's recent twitter

geroysimon

So my blueray disc player has.t been working for a few months. I'm at Bestbuy pissed I'm not leaving til they make this right

Just imagine working there and here's Geroy Simon trying to be pissed off. I can't see him getting that angry :D

Anyone looking to experience Empire for a game or two can get a jump on individual game ticket sales starting today:

With only 27,500 seats in this intimate facility, tickets will be at a premium. As a Ticket Info subscriber, we are pleased to provide you with an exclusive opportunity to purchase 2010 single game tickets before they go on sale to the general public. Single game tickets for the 2010 season start at just $35.00 per person!

As a devoted Lions fan, you have firsthand knowledge of the excitement that Lions football provides - why not share that experience with a friend or family member? Help the Leos get off to a "roaring" start in 2010 - the pre-season home opener kicks off on Sunday, June 20th at 2:00 pm versus the Edmonton Eskimos.

EXCLUSIVE PRE-SALE PERIOD:

Thursday, May 20 @ 10:00 am – Monday, May 24 @ 10:00 pm

Password: INFO

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/BC-Lions-tickets/artist/890988?dma_id=528&brand=cfl

Apparently there's a tentative agreement for a new CBA:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/cfl-agrees-new-cba-with-players-association/article1582152/

No exact details available but,

Major notes:

-League drug testing policy to be instituted

-Players give up ground on their 56% of revenues guarantee

-Salary cap of $4.2 million for the coming season

-Same Canadian content rules apply

About 2 months ago, each team sent out an email with GC pre-sale information. The seats were garbage, corner and endzone only.

Yeah, but I got mine through a friend in Edm right after the presale. Sec T, Row 82........midfield, 2 rows from the top

Not bad....

I never got an email for grey cup tickets. I've been looking and looking since December for the email because I wanted pre sale. I have the last few years, but not this one. It's all good, I got some fairly decent seats. Goal line, row 3.

Archived