Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Patrick McNally Talk

• Please log in to reply
786 replies to this topic

Poll: Patrick McNally Talk (182 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you happy we drafted Patrick?

1. Yes (157 votes [86.26%])

Percentage of vote: 86.26%

2. No (25 votes [13.74%])

Percentage of vote: 13.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#451 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,338 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:37 AM

His OHl numbers dipped because his coach played him as a defense first guy. He played against the top forwards and was 1st man back on d. While I agree he's not going to become an offensive dynamo, his offense is under rated right now because sudbury needed him to play a different role

Don't get me wrong, I really like Corrado and think he can be a top 4 guy. I originally listed him ahead of Polasek for potential top 4 but switched ithem. In terms of making the NHL I think Corrado has a much better chance. Polasek is very raw but he has the size, nastiness and offensive upside to be a pretty good defenseman. I don't really know much about his defensive play but he was a +8 as a rookie last year with the Wolves.
Sig too big.

#452 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:45 PM

Don't get me wrong, I really like Corrado and think he can be a top 4 guy. I originally listed him ahead of Polasek for potential top 4 but switched ithem. In terms of making the NHL I think Corrado has a much better chance. Polasek is very raw but he has the size, nastiness and offensive upside to be a pretty good defenseman. I don't really know much about his defensive play but he was a +8 as a rookie last year with the Wolves.

I agree with you about Polasek, but Corrado has substantial upside, he's got his 100mph shot, good wrister, good skating ability, and the ability to get it through to the net. He could be like a Tanev/Bieksa mix, gritty, good offensively, and a beast defensively

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#453 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,364 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:31 PM

Gillis has done very well getting quality defensemen prospects in the later rounds.

The scouting staff deserves a lot of credit. Corrado looks like a Gem and the rest look like they're trending to the NHL eventually.

Edited by playboi19, 24 August 2012 - 11:32 PM.

Subbancopy.jpg

#454 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,194 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:35 PM

Men’s Hockey Unveils 2012-2013 Schedule
August 27, 2012
Posted Image
The Crimson will play 14 home contests in 2012-13 (Photo courtesy: Thom Kendall).
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Harvard men's hockey team looks to take the next step following a strong finish last year, as the Crimson released its 29-game slate for the 2012-2013 school year Monday. Harvard will play 14 regular-season home contests in 2012-13, including a five-game homestand to start the season.

Ted Donato, the Robert D. Ziff '88 Head Coach for Harvard Men's Ice Hockey, returns for his eighth season behind the bench of the Crimson. During that span, the former Crimson captain has guided his club to a pair of NCAA Tournament berths and Ivy and ECAC Hockey Titles.
The Crimson will open the year within the friendly confines of the Bright Hockey Center. After an exhibition Oct. 19 against McGill, Harvard opens its regular season slate with a bout against Bentley Oct. 27. November kicks off the start of ECAC play with home contests against Brown (Nov. 2), Yale (Nov. 3) and Union (Nov. 9), and the homestand concludes against Rensselaer Nov. 10. The Crimson hits the road Nov. 16 and 17 to take on Cornell and Colgate before a layoff for the Thanksgiving holiday.

December is a light month for Harvard with just three games on the slate. The Crimson travels to Merrimack Dec. 7 and hosts UMass-Lowell Dec. 10 and Northeastern Dec. 29.

Harvard will play seven consecutive games on the road to start the 2013 portion of the schedule. The Crimson plays at Princeton (Jan. 4), Quinnipiac (Jan. 5), Boston University (Jan. 9), Dartmouth (Jan. 12), Yale (Jan. 18), Brown (Jan. 19) and Union (Jan. 22) to begin the New Year.

Harvard finally returns home Jan. 25 and 26 against Clarkson and St. Lawrence. The team heads to Rensselaer (Feb. 1) prior to a Feb. 4 showdown with Boston College at TD Garden in the opening round of the 61st Beanpot. Dartmouth heads to the Bright Center Feb. 9, and the Beanpot concludes Feb. 11 at TD Garden.

The Crimson wraps up the regular season with four of its last six games at home. Valentine's Day weekend will see Colgate (Feb. 15) and Cornell (Feb. 16) visit, before Harvard travels to St. Lawrence (Feb. 22) and Clarkson (Feb 23). The Crimson wraps up the regular season at home against Quinnipiac (March 1) and Princeton (March 2).

ECAC playoffs will begin the following weekend at to-be-determined sites with the semifinals and finals set for March 22-23 at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J.

Harvard men's hockey season tickets are now on sale and can be purchased by clicking here. Single games tickets go on sale Sept. 5.

http://www.gocrimson...ScheduleRelease

Edited by avelanch, 27 August 2012 - 04:35 PM.

#455 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,194 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

in anticipation of Harvard's first game of the season tomorrow:

Harvard’s Patrick McNally a real hockey D-light
By John Connolly
Thursday, October 18, 2012 - Updated 1 week ago

Patrick McNally sure knows how to leave a positive impression on those who watch him play.

Just ask his former coach at Milton Academy, his current coach at Harvard and the scouts of the Vancouver Canucks, all of whom thought enough of the defenseman to jump at the opportunity to add him to their teams.
The amazing thing about the 6-foot-2, 190-pound McNally is that he still has plenty of room to grow as a player.

“I think he has huge upside,” Harvard coach Ted Donato said of the 20-year-old from Glen Head, N.Y., who was drafted by the Canucks in the fourth round of the 2010 NHL draft with the 115th overall pick. “His skating is at an elite level. He’s really done it with a body that still has a lot of room to grow. I think he put on 10 pounds this summer. He still hasn’t filled out. He’s gotten by on just his hockey sense and skating ability and, as his physical strength improves and his shot improves, he’s only going to add more weapons to his offensive game. I think he’s one of those rare athletes where people looked at him in high school and said, ‘Well, that’s fine but he’s not going to be able to do it at that next level’ and, so far, he has. I’m not so sure that at that next level (pro), for him, he’s not going to be able to do the same kind of thing.
“He led Milton Academy to the New England Championship so, to me, he kind of had that ‘it’ factor. He kind of picked up right where he left off in high school, and makes it a lot easier than it actually is.
“We’re excited. I think he’s a winner. He seems to elevate in the biggest of games and the key moments in the games so we’re excited about his progress.”
Milton Academy coach Paul Cannata recalled the first time he watched McNally in action. Cannata had gone to scout another player in a junior league game in Long Island, N.Y., and kept noticing McNally, whose name and number weren’t listed on the roster.
“I kept asking, ‘Who’s this?’ ” said Cannata. “He had gone through a growth spurt and his (hockey) pants were about two feet above his knees. They told me he was only a sophomore. I said to myself, ‘Wow, I’ve got to get after this kid.’ ”
Cannata’s efforts worked and McNally ended up at Milton Academy, leading the team to the New England prep school title as the top scorer on a team, which also featured defenseman Jake Turrin (Amherst College), goaltender Sean Dougherty (Williams College), and Bruins [team stats] draft pick Rob O’Gara (Yale University).
“We’ve won one New England (hockey) title in about 100 years and he was the key guy,” Cannata said. “He’s just a special kid. I call him a throwback kid because he just puts on his skates and goes out and plays. He has a lot of offense. He can freewheel and he handles the puck well. He plays with a love of the game.”
That love of the game, coupled with McNally’s skating ability, Has Donato smiling as Harvard gets ready for its season to start.
“For me, some of the more interesting and fun players to watch are because they play their own game,” Donato said. “They have their own style and I think he’s like that. At times, he’s our best forward on some nights because he’s up with the rush. He really hasn’t had to give up any of his defensive responsibilities to contribute offensively. I think he’s deceptively a great skater and he does it with what seems very little effort and he has an iron lung on some of those shifts.”
McNally was paired with Ryan Grimshaw on the blue line last year as part of Harvard’s nation-leading power-play unit (27.3 percent). He earned All-ECAC rookie honors and scored four goals and added 13 assists last season. He also tied for seventh in the ECAC, first among defensemen, with seven playoff points (1-6-7).
“I think, obviously, it was a good year for the team,” said McNally, whose Crimson squad plays an exhibition game at Bright Hockey Center tomorrow against McGill before opening its season for real on Oct. 27 hosting Bentley. “I think the freshmen adapted well. I think the upperclassmen deserve a lot of credit for making the freshmen feel comfortable. I think I learned to be more aware defensively, too. In high school, I could get away with getting caught up ice because I could skate fast enough to get back. But, here, there are a lot of fast guys so you have to be on your toes. I’m just trying to play my game. I know what to expect. I’m just trying to get better and better each day.”

-—jconnolly@bostonherald.com

#456 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

in anticipation of Harvard's first game of the season tomorrow:

Thanks for the post!
:towel:

#457 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,194 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

Harvard opens their season tonitght (at 4 pacific)
Live stats
Video (pay)
Audio

#458 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for keeping us updated on our college prospects Avalanche.

I forget about these guys sometimes. :)

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#459 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

1 assist and a +1 in a 5-0 win

#460 sirwilliam

sirwilliam

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:38 PM

With McNally, along with Price, Hutton, Corrado, Connauton, we are looking stacked on D for the future. A very impressive, underrated corps we have here!
Posted Image

#461 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,194 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

McNally got his first goal of the season today and was -1 in a 6-2 shellacking by union, he now has 1G and 1A in 4 games played.

Edited by avelanch, 09 November 2012 - 11:14 PM.

#462 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:04 AM

Audio for Friday's game if anyone wants to listen:

http://cornellbigred.com/showcase/
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#463 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,194 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

Mcnally had 1 assist and was +3 with 1 shot in a 4-1 upset in Harvard (#17) win over #10 Cornell

ITHACA, N.Y. – Three of Harvard's four offensive lines generated goals as the No. 17 Harvard men's hockey team upset long-time rival No. 10 Cornell, 3-1, Friday night at Lynah Rink. With the win, Harvard improves to 4-2-0 and 3-2-0 in ECAC play while Cornell (3-3-1, 1-3-1 ECAC) absorbs its first home loss of the season.
The energy was high when the puck dropped to start the game, but Cornell was a bit over enthusiastic and saw a player sent to the box just 14 seconds in for interference. While the Crimson power-play was held in check, Harvard sustained solid pressure in the early going, testing the Big Red defense. Patrick McNally nearly got the Crimson on the board before the 10-minute mark, but his low line drive struck the right pipe and bounced clear. Another great look for the Crimson fell by the wayside when a 2-on-1 saw Alex Fallstrom wrist a close range shot just high of the net.
Harvard would be the team to strike first, however, grabbing a 1-0 lead with 5:28 to play in the period. Patrick McNally made a great play to pick off a clearing pass in front of the blue line, drew the attention of the Cornell defense and dished to Alex Fallstrom who buried the back-door look for the early edge.
The Cornell response was swift when John Knisley blasted a shot from just inside the right point that beat Raphael Girard stick-side, knotting the score just 26 seconds later. While the Cornell goal brought the raucous crowd back to life, sophomoreMike Seward served to silence the Big Red faithful, collecting his first goal of the season and second of his career. Greg Gozzo and Tommy O'Reganworked the puck into the Cornell zone and O'Regan slid a pass back to Seward, who shot through traffic and beat Andy Iles glove-side for a 2-1 edge. The helper by O'Regan is his fifth in as many games, and he extended Harvard's longest point streak of the season to five games.
Girard was tested early and often in the middle stanza, as the hosts ripped 12 shots on goal to Harvard's five. Cornell had a key opportunity on a power-play just past the halfway point of the period, but the Harvard penalty kill was up to the task, allowing just one shot to reach Girard. Harvard dodged a bullet when it went on its lone power-play of the period when John Esposito controlled the puck on a short-handed breakaway but fired high and wide of the net.
The Crimson capitalized on a Cornell turnover in its own end to jump out to a 3-1 lead late in the second frame. Jimmy Vesey stepped in front of a Cornell clearing pass and charged towards the net. The freshman wound up to shoot, but at the last second dished to a wide-open Kyle Criscuolo, who blasted a one-timer into the back of the net, giving Harvard a two-goal cushion with 17:43 gone in the second.
The guests did not make it easy on themselves in the final period, getting booked for a pair of penalties within the first 10 minutes of the frame. Harvard once again dealt with a barrage of Cornell shots as Girard was forced to make 12 more saves in the third. As a last-ditch effort, Cornell pulled its goalie with just over a minute remaining, but an outlet pass from Danny Biega to Petr Placek saw the sophomore seal the 4-1 final with an empty net tally.
Girard finished the game with 34 saves on the night and was monumental in helping the Crimson kill all four Cornell power plays in the game. The win is Harvard's first of the season when being outshot by an opponent (35-17).
Harvard looks to complete the weekend sweep tomorrow night when it travels to Hamilton, N.Y., to take on Colgate in a 7 p.m. contest.

http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mice/2012-13/releases/20121116la43g6

#464 James van Riemsdyk

James van Riemsdyk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

sounds like a future Bieska a little.
Posted Image
Edmonton Oilers CHL AGM
Edmontion Oilers SRHL Commissioner/GM

#465 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,194 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

Highlights from the game against corenell on friday:

mcnally with the assist on the opening goal.

Edited by avelanch, 21 November 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#466 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

Mobile

Blue Team

#467 Rollieo Del Fuego

Rollieo Del Fuego

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

Looks like McNally is getting it rolling again with a goal post and a sweet dish with just the right amount of speed on the pass.
A lesser D man would have sent that across way to fast for his teammate to react.
Let's hope he can keep things rolling now.

#468 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

Whats up with Patrick, he is not playing tonight and when I checked the Harvard roster, he is not listed.

#469 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

That's very odd.. I wonder if this could be indicative of the Canucks pulling him out of University and assigning him to the Wolves. God knows they could use his help.

Just a hunch, but you never know.

Blue Team

#470 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

McNally and Tanev would be a sexy combo.

I doubt McNally would leave school after 1 year. Unless he's really not doing well in school.

That's weird that he wouldn't be on their roster. How do trades work in college hockey? I never really hear about them. Do they even make trades?

Edited by DeNiro, 07 December 2012 - 09:28 PM.

Posted Image

#471 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

McNally and Tanev would be a sexy combo.

I doubt McNally would leave school after 1 year. Unless he's really not doing well in school.

That's weird that he wouldn't be on their roster. How do trades work in college hockey? I never really hear about them. Do they even make trades?

I'm fairly certain you can't trade players in NCAA hockey, I can't see how the transfer of scholarships and everything would work. They're there for school and for a "trade" to occur I think the student would have to choose to transfer to another school..

Blue Team

#472 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

I'm fairly certain you can't trade players in NCAA hockey, I can't see how the transfer of scholarships and everything would work. They're there for school and for a "trade" to occur I think the student would have to choose to transfer to another school..

So you think he left school then?

Posted Image

#473 DJ Kreuzberg

DJ Kreuzberg

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

Yeah, there are no trades. However, there are transfers, but very infrequently. It tends to be fringe players or players not doing very well on the team or in school. Seems a bit odd for him to transfer, even odder for him to leave school.

If this is the Canucks pulling him out early to play for the Wolves, i'd say its a mistake. He should stay at least 2 more years.

Intriguing indeed...

#474 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:30 AM

If he started the season in College there has to be rules against him just leaving during the season and signing a pro contract. Highly doubt he would leave Harvard either, especially on a scholarship.

#475 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:01 AM

I can't see him walking away from a good education at Harvard to maybe crack a Wolves lineup. I think you guys are reading too much into this, though it is a curious thing as to why he's not listed on the team's roster. Maybe they update it game by game?

EDIT: I'm going to join the speculation hype and say that his birthday was on the 4th. He just turned 21 in the states, maybe he was irresponsible and went out partying - pissed off the coach and got benched?

Edited by Ossi Vaananen, 08 December 2012 - 03:03 AM.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#476 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:10 AM

Hmmmm this is pretty interesting, School does seem like the best thing for him right now.

Hopefully it's nothing that has been suggested here, and he stays.

zackass.png

#477 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:13 AM

I think the most likely situation is that he's injured.

And maybe that roster only includes active players.

Posted Image

#478 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

So you think he left school then?

I doubt it but you never know. We'll find out soon enough

Blue Team

#479 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,940 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

Lp
Posted Image

#480 Gerg

Gerg

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,169 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

https://twitter.com/...271240920260608

Looks like he's been removed from the roster entirely. Meloni is saying it could be related to academic dishonesty and he's not the only one. Pretty curious case and where does that lead them for the rest of the season? I'm sure you can't transfer to another university without being redshirted for at least the rest of the season. Juniors, maybe?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.