#212 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:30 AM

Could've suited up today but instead Noel put in Connauton at LW Posted Image

seemed to work, considering they pulled out a win.

Kevin up front opens all sorts of interesting possibilities.

I doubt Darren will be doing much playing this post season. he's there on more of an observant role until he comes up to speed in practices.

#213 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • 26,655 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

Darren Archibald's baby face is gone and so is the beanpole body. In fact, he looks like he could be quite comfortable skating onto the ice for an NHL game some time soon. He's big enough to cause some damage, too.

A six-foot-three, 210 pounds, Archibald fits nicely among the best prospects in an organization which admittedly wasn't just looking for the best player in last month's draft. The Canucks were looking for the biggest, best player. They got Nicklas Jensen in the first round, Alexandre Grenier in the third and Joseph Labate in the fourth. All of them are forwards and all of them are at least six-foot-three.

They are all probably several years away from making an impact and as such they are part of a plan to change the look of the Canucks for future. Archibald, however, thinks he can bring his size, skill and youth to the NHL table much sooner.

"I am going to come to camp and I'm going to show them everything I have," Archibald said. "For me, I know I'm going to have to be a role player right now. So, I'm going to come in the fall, crash and bang and hopefully use my size to my advantage."

He's got the body for it.

"He's a really skilled kid with a big, NHL body," said Dave Gagner, the Canucks director of player development. "Physically, he's ready. But he has to learn to play at the pace and the urgency that pro players play with. In junior, you can get away with lackadaisical days. But not here. He's going to have to learn to compete at a high level every day."

After an OHL season in which he scored 51 goals, including 10 in 14 playoff games, Archibald has climbed near the top of the list of the Canucks' best prospects.

Archibald's first goal, however, will be to make it to main training camp in Vancouver in September. His next, will be to leave a strong enough impression that he'll get the opportunity to play some NHL games some time in the next year.

"But I've been taking baby steps my whole life and I don't want to rush into it if I'm not ready to make that big step," Archibald said. "I don't want to come up and struggle. I want to be ready to play."

The 21-year-old goal scorer with the mean streak is something of a late bloomer. Just three years ago he finished playing tier II for a good, heavily scouted team in Stouffville. Two of his teammates, Corey Trivino and Ethan Werek, were drafted in early rounds. Archibald was not, passed over in each of his draft-eligible years.

"I knew it wasn't the end of the world," Archibald said.

He's been proven right. Not long after he participated in last year's training camp with the Detroit Red Wings, Archibald, as an OHL free agent, signed an entry level deal with the Canucks.

It didn't take him long to feel a part of the organization. When his OHL season ended, he joined the Manitoba Moose and then had the chance with other prospects to come to Vancouver for a couple of playoff games, one against Nashville and another against San Jose. It meant a lot. So much, that when it came to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final, he felt he couldn't miss it.

He flew with his mother on their own for that final game against the Boston Bruins.

"I just wanted to be here for that moment," he said. "My mom had never been out here and we saw it as a once-in-a-lifetime thing."

It was, but for all the wrong reasons. Archibald and his mother were staying at hotel on Granville and made the long walk back through the riot after the game.

"We were very shocked," he said. "It took a couple hours to get back to the the hotel.

"You just couldn't move. There were fires and vandals. It was really disappointing. There were a lot of kids who were not making smart decisions."

Archibald is not without questions. Both Columbus and Detroit invited him to NHL camps and passed on opportunities to sign him. Also, one of the first YouTube clips of him you'll find in a search is vicious body check on an unsuspecting goalie behind the net.

"It's not something I'm proud of," he said. "It was just the heat of the moment. They were after our goalie all series. That's not really my style of game at all.

"That was a one time thing for me."

http://www.theprovin...7618/story.html
Posted Image

#214 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,399 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:46 PM

http://www.theprovin...7618/story.html

From that interview he sounds very down to earth. Can't wait to see him in camp. Probably won't make the team this year, but stranger things have happend.

FWYIerW.png

#215 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:20 AM

From that interview he sounds very down to earth. Can't wait to see him in camp. Probably won't make the team this year, but stranger things have happend.

glass and bolduc are gone, leaving only Lapierre and oreo on our 4th, archie might be able to fit in the 4th while raymond and sammy heal (nothing's certain about sammy being ready by the start of the season), but probably no room until next season.

#216 Vigneault's Stache

Vigneault's Stache

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:24 PM

i think this guy is going to have a bigger impact on the team then people think

i see him as "our " pest

burrows could only go so far because he's a valuable first line player and a penalty killer

i could see archibald getting under the skin of anyone he plays
Posted Image

#217 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,830 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:00 PM

i think this guy is going to have a bigger impact on the team then people think

i see him as "our " pest

burrows could only go so far because he's a valuable first line player and a penalty killer

i could see archibald getting under the skin of anyone he plays

His physicality and getting under the skin of opposing players does not need development - he can just turn on the button and be that pest any time he wants to. In the mean while, send him down to the AHL to develop his defensive game and offensive instincts as a 2nd line winger. Let him play whistle to whistle and focus on developing his skills.

Then, bring him up to play the 4th line winger in the playoffs - he'll turn on his "pest' switch and be a wrecking ball that will have sound defensive game due to being developed in the AHL the right way and also have an offensive touch and a nose for the net to go along with his game.

That's the best case scenario I see playing out this season for Archibald.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#218 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:23 PM

Did Archibald play on the PK in Niagara? If so, that would fit right in with a lot of other prospects like Anthony, Friesen and Grenier who play a two-way game while also possessing skill of their own. We've sorely needed some size in the system to go along with skill, and this year we seem to finally be addressing that.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#219 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,830 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:02 PM

Did Archibald play on the PK in Niagara? If so, that would fit right in with a lot of other prospects like Anthony, Friesen and Grenier who play a two-way game while also possessing skill of their own. We've sorely needed some size in the system to go along with skill, and this year we seem to finally be addressing that.

Yeah he killed penalties in the OHL.

But so did Cody Hodgson - in fact he was the 1st unit PK for WJC Team Canada - and this kid doesn't kill penalties for us so...

World of difference between juniors and pros. I hope Archibald gets some PK time though. Same with Hodgson.

If Hodgson makes the team and gets some time on the PK, it would certainly free up Kesler from PK duties (3 centers, Manny, Hodgson and Lapierre that can kill penalties) and to focus 100% on offense. The Sedins killed penalties until a hotshot prospect named Ryan Kesler was called up from the AHL and began killing penalties, allowing the Sedins to focus more on offense as 2nd liners. I expect Hodgson to give Kesler the similar kind of freedom.

#220 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:44 PM

Yeah he killed penalties in the OHL.

But so did Cody Hodgson - in fact he was the 1st unit PK for WJC Team Canada - and this kid doesn't kill penalties for us so...

World of difference between juniors and pros. I hope Archibald gets some PK time though. Same with Hodgson.

If Hodgson makes the team and gets some time on the PK, it would certainly free up Kesler from PK duties (3 centers, Manny, Hodgson and Lapierre that can kill penalties) and to focus 100% on offense. The Sedins killed penalties until a hotshot prospect named Ryan Kesler was called up from the AHL and began killing penalties, allowing the Sedins to focus more on offense as 2nd liners. I expect Hodgson to give Kesler the similar kind of freedom.

I see. I agree it'd be nice to see Cody start to take on some of the defensive duties too, hopefully under Manny's tutelage.

#221 DJ Kreuzberg

DJ Kreuzberg

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:12 AM

POPULAR

Very rarely do I post here and not trying to spam/promote my video. Just genuinely posting this here because I think you guys will enjoy it. I made a video of Darren Archibald's 2010-2011 highlights; compiled them from Rogers TV and TV Cogeco clips. Mainly goals, some assists here and there and one PK shift. Hope you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5oR0QumHho

And i also made a Polasek one, but couldn't really find his thread. Anyways, you can find it if you really want to. :)

Edit: NEW LINK because it was really small before. You won't really notice it in the embedded player, but on the youtube page, its larger. I have removed the previous one.

Edited by DJ Kreuzberg, 25 July 2011 - 05:06 PM.

#222 bluesy_shoes

bluesy_shoes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:20 AM

Very rarely do I post here and not trying to spam/promote my video. Just genuinely posting this here because I think you guys will enjoy it. I made a video of Darren Archibald's 2010-2011 highlights; compiled them from Rogers TV and TV Cogeco clips. Mainly goals, some assists here and there and one PK shift. Hope you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E34rgcnTUIg

And i also made a Polasek one, but couldn't really find his thread. Anyways, you can find it if you really want to. :)

great vid buddayyy! spam/promote all you want if it means more videos of our prospects for me! Footage is hard to come by, so it's much appreciated.

Posted Image

bluesy_shoes

#223 Fruition

Fruition

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:21 AM

We hope he becomes one of the top prospects in the Canucks organization. Insofar, we have seen only a few of the prospects drafted and signed emerge from intensive training in the minors program. Cory Schneider and Kesler, and Alex Burrows are the only players I know.
Posted Image NHL 12 Sim League GM

Posted Image CDCVHL Assistant GM and AHL GM

#224 cube`

cube`

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:47 AM

Great vids DJ Kreuzberg, keep em coming; I especially liked the Polasek video. +1

#225 Jake's_Dad

Jake's_Dad

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:15 AM

We hope he becomes one of the top prospects in the Canucks organization. Insofar, we have seen only a few of the prospects drafted and signed emerge from intensive training in the minors program. Cory Schneider and Kesler, and Alex Burrows are the only players I know.

ummm? -1

- Mason Raymond, Jannik Hansen, Alex Edler, Kevin Bieska, to name a few

ready to make the jump- Chris Tanev, Cody Hodgson, Aaron Volpotti, etc
-formerly known as macvic24

#226 mucktuck

mucktuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:21 AM

Wow...I didn't realize how good Archibald is. Wicked wrist shot, drives hard to the net, soft hands for a big kid. I can't wait to see him in camp this year! Thanks for the vid.

#227 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:27 AM

Shades of Bertuzzi the way he makes his way from the corner to the front of the net. hope he can do it against larger competition.

#228 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,830 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:59 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E34rgcnTUIg

LOL probably the ONLY overaged Major Junior player that went undrafted that has a whole 7 minute highlight package video dedicated to him on youtube.

Gotta love Canucks fans with good video skills Posted Image

Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Kevin Bieksa, Alex Edler, Chris Tanev, Mason Raymond, Jannik Hansen, Cory Schneider

Now you know more! Good for you!

Also up and coming notables - Cody Hodgson, Anton Rodin, Eddie Lack, Yann Sauve

Edited by Dasein, 24 July 2011 - 01:00 PM.

#229 DJ Kreuzberg

DJ Kreuzberg

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:38 PM

LOL probably the ONLY overaged Major Junior player that went undrafted that has a whole 7 minute highlight package video dedicated to him on youtube.

Gotta love Canucks fans with good video skills

Haha yes, i know it is very long. To be honest, I cut about 4 minutes out of the original video so it was more watchable. The reason it is long is because of how much footage there is from the OHL, compared to what i found for the Q, well at least thats what i found.

I am in the process of trying to convert some Moose videos for this year to make several videos for our Moose prospects before they get rid of their video archives! They already took down game information from their site. I will let you guys know when i get done with that. Thanks for kind words everyone.

#230 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:08 PM

what video editing software do you use? I'be been looking for something that's easy to use to compile clips of this nature.

#231 bAsRa17

bAsRa17

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:01 AM

This guy might crack the lineup in a couple years.

#232 Psycho_Path

Psycho_Path

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:41 AM

I hope he's playing with either Schroeder or Hodgson in the AHL this upcoming season (if Hodgson doesn't make the Canucks that is).
Posted Image

#233 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:53 AM

I hope he's playing with either Schroeder or Hodgson in the AHL this upcoming season (if Hodgson doesn't make the Canucks that is).

I think he'll likely start on the third line.

Something like (if Coho is sent down, which I am kind of doubting):

Sweatt - Hodgson - Haydar
Rodin - Schroeder - Mancari
Archibald - Doell - Anthony
Miller - Schneider - Duco
Davies, Pinner

The Wolves or Canucks might make one more top-6 signing (well, a center to be specific).

#234 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:35 PM

I think he'll likely start on the third line.

Something like (if Coho is sent down, which I am kind of doubting):

Sweatt - Hodgson - Haydar
Rodin - Schroeder - Mancari
Archibald - Doell - Anthony
Miller - Schneider - Duco
Davies, Pinner

The Wolves or Canucks might make one more top-6 signing (well, a center to be specific).

Didnt they sign Ebbett? He's always been a good AHL scorer and can play center or wing

Edited by WonderTwinPowers, 25 July 2011 - 02:37 PM.

#235 Vigneault's Stache

Vigneault's Stache

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:55 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5oR0QumHho

Edit: NEW LINK because it was really small before. You won't really notice it in the embedded player, but on the youtube page, its larger. I have removed the previous one.

thanks for that . damn im really thinking this guys a diamond in the rough

smart move by gillis signing him

Posted Image

#236 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:02 PM

Didnt they sign Ebbett? He's always been a good AHL scorer and can play center or wing

You're totally right, wow, can't believe I forgot him.

He'll slot in where Hodgson is if Coho starts the year with the Canucks.

#237 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,830 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:57 PM

thanks for that . damn im really thinking this guys a diamond in the rough

smart move by gillis signing him

I wonder what prevented the Red Wings from signing him...

They invited Archibald to training camp last year, but chose not to offer him a contract.

I don't know if it's because they felt that he wouldn't make it, or because they were close to maxing out to the 50 contract mark, and chose to wait out a year until some contracts run out before they could sign him.

#238 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:42 PM

I wonder what prevented the Red Wings from signing him...

They invited Archibald to training camp last year, but chose not to offer him a contract.

I don't know if it's because they felt that he wouldn't make it, or because they were close to maxing out to the 50 contract mark, and chose to wait out a year until some contracts run out before they could sign him.

Yeah, but at least he was good enough to get an invite from them which is still pretty good. It must have been something to do with the contract limit. Their loss... our gain! :)

You can really tell he's got a sweet shot from that video and has smarts too. Skating looks alright, not sure about the first couple steps though.

#239 Alexandre

Alexandre

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:10 AM

I like how he goes to the net hard like a power forward.

#240 Ryan Kesler's Snipe

Ryan Kesler's Snipe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:00 AM

future line say in 5 or so years of:

Rodin / Hodgson / Archibald?

i just watched some of Archibalds goals and he is lookin like a gem

Edited by Ryan Kesler's Snipe, 26 July 2011 - 07:00 AM.

Posted Image In Hodgson we trust

In 2012, a hero will rise

Credit to Vintage Canuck for the sick sig!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.