The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] Playoff Indicator Chart 2011

cleowin

That magic number thing IMO was messed up from the start of this thread. It usually indicates the number of wins away from locking the playoffs up. Now that we are inside of ten games left each team, I can revisit this godawefull thread and ask again WTF does the magic number mean? Calgary's 'magic number' is an E. Come on already. The thread is nice, the updates are good on most columns, but your magic number is almost meaningless in 9 of ten cases here and absolutely meaningless in the 10th case. six teams are two or less on the magic number? what? so in two wins 7 of 8 playoff spots are locked up? the OP was mistaken with this magic number thread and as far as i can see only a handful of us noticed all year long while the rest drank the coolaid.

I'm not sure what your anger is, but the chart is correct. Calgary's number is "E" because they can't catch the Canucks. The magic number isn't what said team requires to make the playoffs, but what the Canucks need to finish ahead of them.

That magic number thing IMO was messed up from the start of this thread. It usually indicates the number of wins away from locking the playoffs up. Now that we are inside of ten games left each team, I can revisit this godawefull thread and ask again WTF does the magic number mean? Calgary's 'magic number' is an E. Come on already. The thread is nice, the updates are good on most columns, but your magic number is almost meaningless in 9 of ten cases here and absolutely meaningless in the 10th case. six teams are two or less on the magic number? what? so in two wins 7 of 8 playoff spots are locked up? the OP was mistaken with this magic number thread and as far as i can see only a handful of us noticed all year long while the rest drank the coolaid.

edit: by the OP's own admission the peach colored teams have reached zero on the magic number and yet they currently sit in a playoff spot. This magic number is garbage, and I have said so from the onset. Thank you very much.

TROLL... I mean come on, you took a quote JUST before they explained what the magic number means... To me, coming in with that attitude off the bat tells me you are not open to understanding what this thread is about.

I said my peace, now let's woot woot for Canucks and a cool new mask for Lu tomorrow!

I just want to make it clear that I do not tolerate people who fail to understand what the Magic Number means. This is the 5th time I've had to clear it up and I simply wont do it. Look at Page number 1 for information. Plus, I do this for all of you and if select few are going to complain, then I wont be doing this next year. I am sick of the trolling.

I just want to make it clear that I do not tolerate people who fail to understand what the Magic Number means. This is the 5th time I've had to clear it up and I simply wont do it. Look at Page number 1 for information. Plus, I do this for all of you and if select few are going to complain, then I wont be doing this next year. I am sick of the trolling.

I would like to say that it is very nice of you to spend all this time and energy making the chart, and I want to thank you from everyone who reads this, but don't post.

Am I the only one who check the chart EVERY morning?

Anyways, thanks again, I really hope you continue this year as well as the next.

edit: by the OP's own admission the peach colored teams have reached zero on the magic number and yet they currently sit in a playoff spot. This magic number is garbage, and I have said so from the onset. Thank you very much.

Tuesday, March 23rd, 2011:

Magic Number Charts have been updated!

TBL and MTL dropped 1 Point!

PHI dropped 0.5 Points!

7-1-1 Record needed to clinch President's Trophy!

My Honest Feelings towards this board:

As of tonight, I am no longer going to prioritize this chart so it may not be updated till 3 or 4 in the morning on certain days or it might not be updated at all just because of the lack of respect on this board. I spend countless hours watching the NHL to get these charts updated before 12 AM hits so from now on, I am updating when I feel like it. It could be updated before 12 AM, or I could not update it for the rest of the season. It really depends on how I feel so be lucky I even updated this chart tonight. Just so you all know, This may be my 2nd and final season of Magic Chart updates. Sorry to break it to you all, but I am not being paid to do this and its more of a privilege to the ones who actually appreciate what I do for all of you men and ladies. So if you have a problem with anything, blame the haters because I will not put up with it.

Thank you all and have a good night.

PHI dropped 0.5 Points!

As of tonight, I am no longer going to prioritize this chart so it may not be updated till 3 or 4 in the morning on certain days or it might not be updated at all just because of the lack of respect on this board. I spend countless hours watching the NHL to get these charts updated before 12 AM hits so from now on, I am updating when I feel like it. It could be updated before 12 AM, or I could not update it for the rest of the season. It really depends on how I feel so be lucky I even updated this chart tonight. Just so you all know, This may be my 2nd and final season of Magic Chart updates. Sorry to break it to you all, but I am not being paid to do this and its more of a privilege to the ones who actually appreciate what I do for all of you men and ladies. So if you have a problem with anything, blame the haters because I will not put up with it.

name='Shaelon' date='23 March 2011 - 02:57 AM' timestamp='1300867024' post='9506519']Tuesday, March 23rd, 2011:Magic Number Charts have been updated!TBL and MTL dropped 1 Point!<br />PHI dropped 0.5 Points! 7-1-1 Record needed to clinch President's Trophy!

My Honest Feelings towards this board: As of tonight, I am no longer going to prioritize this chart so it may not be updated till 3 or 4 in the morning on certain days or it might not be updated at all just because of the lack of respect on this board. I spend countless hours watching the NHL to get these charts updated before 12 AM hits so from now on, I am updating when I feel like it. It could be updated before 12 AM, or I could not update it for the rest of the season. It really depends on how I feel so be lucky I even updated this chart tonight. Just so you all know, This may be my 2nd and final season of Magic Chart updates. Sorry to break it to you all, but I am not being paid to do this and its more of a privilege to the ones who actually appreciate what I do for all of you men and ladies. So if you have a problem with anything, blame the haters because I will not put up with it.Thank you all and have a good night.

Ok this is the first time I read anything other than the first post and I'd just like to say thanks for the updates Shaelon, your hard work is appreciated. just ignore the haters who clearly do not understand the concept of magic number.

PHI dropped 0.5 Points!

PHI dropped 0.5 Points!

I signed in for the first time in four years just so I could express how much I enjoy following the Magic Number thread. I've read it daily since the start the season, and Shaelon, I really appreciate all the effort that's gone into it.

Please don't stop just because of a few immature children who have nothing better to do than belittle all your hard work.

Keep up the amazing work. I know how hard it is to update nightly and really appreciate it. The first thing I check in the morning is this thread. (even before I check all the reports from the night before). I often check this thread daily too since I am addicted to stats. I like to check games tonight and play out scenarios to see whos numbers will drop and whos I want to drop more.

I suggest just a permanently stickied thread for the magic number, with no replies allowed. You could simply get the special permissions to edit the stickied thread whenever you wanted and never have to see the idiots post on it.

If you guys report the haters, I can delete their posts.

Introduction:

I am providing you day to day updates on the Vancouver Canucks Playoff Status and Magic numbers through this chart. A big change from last year is my removal of the Games Removal Section where it listed how many games where remaining against each team. It took me nearly 2 hours to get through it last year so I thought it wasn't necessary for this chart. On the chart, there are seven sections: TEAM Name, Games Remaining, Record, Playoff Percentage, Point Pace, Total Points and the Magic Number. Another change is how I calculate the number. Last season, I simply took Team B's Total Possible Points and subtracted Vancouver's Current Points and divided the number by two and 0.5 So the Formula is: Magic Number = TEAM B's Points + Remaining Possible Points - Vancouver's Points / Two + 0.5.

The Magic Number refers to the total Points needed to catch the Canucks in the standings and will make more sense near the end of the season

Example:

Detroit has 82 Points. Detroit has 20 Games remaining for a total point total of 40 Points + 82 = 122 Points. Take 122 Points and subtract Vancouver's 87 Points to get 35. Divide 35 by 2 to get 17.5. Add 0.5 to that to get your Magic number!

Formula:

N = ((B+RPTS) - A / 2) + 0.5

N = Magic Number

A = Vancouver's Points

B = Other Team's Points

RPTS = Remaining Points

Colours:

Light Gray = Vancouver

Lighter Green = Division Leader who has clinched a playoff spot but has not clinched the division.

Green = Division Leader

Yellow = In Playoff Spot

Peach = In Playoff Spot but Magic Number = 0.

Blue = Out of Playoff spot/in Contention

Dark Blue = Magic Number has reached 0.

Purple = Eliminated from Post-Season Contention!

Magic Number Chart:

leaguemagicnumberchart.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Western Conference:

magicnumberchartt.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Archived