The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TV Help

rotiman187

btw all 120hz or 240hz (or anything beyond 60hz) tv's do is interpolate data between each frame to produce additional frames. It appears smoother, but also faker.

Old led's had motion blur, but that problem is extinct. New 60hz tv's are fine for watching all types of programming, but that won't stop marketers from pushing higher and higher refresh rates.

imo These tech gadgets to improve the picture often just get in the way of the picture, rather than actually improve it. Depends on what you'd prefer. Smooth, but fake? Or the actual source, which is never higher than 60hz. (Unless anyone can confirm that 120hz+ is now the actual source, i'm not sure.)

The bright room issue exists for some LCD, and LED's too. If an LCD and LED have matte screen, there they are better in bright rooms, but LCD with glass screen has the same reflective properties as plasma (the glass screen on plasma is what causes them to reflect so much).

I used to sell TV's and I know a bit about them. Plasma's are much better TV's, but most companies want to sell you LED's etc, because it's better for them. Most people think brighter is better, but it's the opposite. You want your TV's to be able to show darker blacks (higher contrast ratio), because that will produce a better, more accurate image.

It's hard to get burn in. You have to make an effort to get it. Were you using it as a computer monitor?

That is true, but remember, a plasma that has lost it's black levels significantly still has better blacks than LED/LCD TV's.

Don't get me wrong, there are some REALLY nice LED tv's but they are out of the budget of your average person.

I don't think what you're describing is "burn in." True burn in is permanent, and the image is impossible to ignore. It usually happens at plasma's used as a monitor at airports over years.

I think what you are describing is plasma aging, but it's not aging at the same rate since the outside is not being used as much. I'm going to guess it's a Panasonic, since they had issues with plasma's again rapidly after the 1st year in their older models (2009,2010), and that would be the only reason you see such a difference in the aging process.

If you are going to go with a LCD tv, Samsung has some really nice models.

Few things to remember when buying LCD:

-You don't need 240 hz unless it's a really big TV.

-Quattron is useless; don't let the salesperson try to tell you otherwise. Nobody records in 4 colors, so producing an image in 4 colors is pointless. It's like having an HD tv in the 70's, it's pointless since the signal is not HD.

-Related to my last point, get 720p unless you are watching blu-ray, or gaming all the time. Check with your current cable provider, but when I was in sales, no one send a 1080p signal over cable, so having a 1080p TV was useless when watching TV.

As someone who owns a 43" plasma with a 60hz refresh rate, it doens't f'n matter. Hockey looks great in HD. Apparently plasmas aren't great for fast moving sports like hockey because there's a bit of blur or something. But since I jumped from standard def to what I have now it's frickin night and day comparing the two even if what I have no isn't a top tier HD TV.

Just buy whatever's the best deal for you. Mine was $299 on Boxing Day so I have no complaints.

Plasma > LCD in brightness and picture quality. No contest.

The average LCD/LED TV's refresh rate is 60/120/240 Hz. Plasm's are 600 Hz.

The reason why most people switch to LCD or LED is because there is just more of them available.

I've got both in my home and both are adjusted to look their best. Plasma looks brilliant compared to LED.

Burn-in is only a problem if you leave your TV on still images for hours at a time. If you know how to maintain a television (it's not a toy for your kids) Plasma's the way to go.

BTW: This is coming from a Sony fan-boy (Sony only sells LCD/LED TVs)

As someone who owns a 43" plasma with a 60hz refresh rate, it doens't f'n matter. Hockey looks great in HD. Apparently plasmas aren't great for fast moving sports like hockey because there's a bit of blur or something. But since I jumped from standard def to what I have now it's frickin night and day comparing the two even if what I have no isn't a top tier HD TV.

Just buy whatever's the best deal for you. Mine was $299 on Boxing Day so I have no complaints.

Plasma > LCD in brightness and picture quality. No contest.

The average LCD/LED TV's refresh rate is 60/120/240 Hz. Plasm's are 600 Hz.

The reason why most people switch to LCD or LED is because there is just more of them available.

I've got both in my home and both are adjusted to look their best. Plasma looks brilliant compared to LED.

Burn-in is only a problem if you leave your TV on still images for hours at a time. If you know how to maintain a television (it's not a toy for your kids) Plasma's the way to go.

BTW: This is coming from a Sony fan-boy (Sony only sells LCD/LED TVs)

That's pretty misleading bud. Plasmas have a subfield drive, completely different technology. The 600 Hz in plasma is roughly equivalent to 60 hz in lcd, but it's not an issue since plasmas don't get motion blur (again completely different technology). The higher Hz on an LCD is to prevent motion blur on larger TV's, but it's not really a problem in plasmas.

Archived