The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Earthquake?

Madness

Small tsunami damages homes in Solomons, but wave warnings elsewhere in Pacific cancelled:

SYDNEY (AP) — A powerful earthquake off the Solomon Islands generated a tsunami of up to 1.5 meters (about 5 feet) that damaged dozens of homes in the South Pacific island chain Wednesday, but authorities canceled warnings for tsunamis on more distant coasts.

Solomons officials reported two 1.5-meter (4 foot, 11-inch) waves hit the western side of Santa Cruz Island, damaging around 50 homes and properties, said George Herming, a spokesman for the prime minister. There were no reports of injuries or deaths. Villagers were heading for higher ground as a precaution, Herming said.

The tsunami formed after an 8.0-magnitude earthquake near Lata on Santa Cruz in Temotu province, the easternmost province of the Solomons, about a 3-hour flight from the capital, Honiara. The region has a population of around 30,000 people.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said a tsunami of about a meter (3 feet) was measured in Lata wharf, in the Solomon Islands. The center said an 11-centimeter (4.3-inch) wave was observed in neighboring Vanuatu.

The center cancelled earlier warnings for tsunami waves further away.

In Honiara, the warnings had prompted residents to flee for higher ground.

"People are still standing on the hills outside of Honiara just looking out over the water, trying to observe if there is a wave coming in," said Herming. So far, he had received no reports that a wave had been spotted in Honiara.

Atenia Tahu, who works for the Solomon Islands Broadcasting Corp. in Honiara, said most people were remaining calm.

"People around the coast and in the capital are ringing in and trying to get information from us and the National Disaster Office and are slowly moving up to higher ground," Tahu said. "But panic? No, no, no, people are not panicking."

An official at the disaster management office in Vanuatu said there were no reports of damage or injuries there.

More than 50 people were killed and thousands lost their homes in April 2007 when a magnitude 8.1 quake hit the western Solomon Islands, sending waves crashing into coastal villages.

The Solomons comprise more than 200 islands with a population of about 552,000 people. They lie on the "Ring of Fire" — an arc of earthquake and volcanic zones that stretches around the Pacific Rim and where about 90 percent of the world's quakes occur.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake struck 81 kilometers (50 miles) west of Lata, at a depth of 5.8 kilometers (3.6 miles). The warning area does not include Hawaii and North and South America.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/tsunami-warning-issued-south-pacific-islands

• 5 months later...

Magnitude 5.1 earthquake hits off west coast of Vancouver Island:

VANCOUVER - An earthquake has rattled the area off northwestern Vancouver Island.

The U.S. Geological Survey says 5.1 magnitude quake hit at 5:57 a.m. Friday morning.

It was centred under the Pacific Ocean, about 170 kilometres west of Port Hardy.

The West Coast/Alaska Tsunami Warning Centre says the quake was not strong enough to generate a dangerous wave.

The shaker occurred in a region where earthquakes are common because of the movement of several plates of the earth's crust.

Natural Resources Canada says more than 100 magnitude 5 earthquakes or stronger have occurred off British Columbia in the last 70 years, including the magnitude 7.7 quake, the second strongest ever recorded in Canada, that jolted the west coast of Haida Gwaii last October.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Magnitude+earthquake+hits+west+coast+Vancouver+Island/8711688/story.html#ixzz2aAl14fyi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pakistan quake death toll jumps to 39 as aftershocks continue:

QUETTA, Pakistan — A major earthquake struck a remote area in southwestern Pakistan on Tuesday, killing at least 39 people and wounding dozens as houses collapsed on top of people inside while others fled into the streets and prayed for their lives.

The Pakistani military said it was rushing troops and helicopters to Baluchistan province’s Awaran district, where the quake was centred, as well as the nearby area of Khuzdar.

Most people were killed when their houses collapsed before they could rush outside occurred when houses collapsed on people inside, according to the chief spokesman for the country’s National Disaster Management Authority, Mirza Kamran Zia, who gave the casualty toll. He warned that the death toll might rise and said they were still trying to get information from officials in the district.

“We all ran out for safety in the open field in front of our house. Many other neighbours were also there. Thank God no one was hurt in our area but the walls of four or five house collapsed,” said Khair Mohammed Baluch, who lives in the town of Awaran, roughly 50 kilometres (30 miles) south of the epicenter.

Pakistan’s chief meteorologist, Mohammed Riaz, put the magnitude of the quake at 7.7, while the U.S. Geological Survey in Golden, Colo. Said it was magnitude 7.8.

Baluchistan is Pakistan’s largest province but also the least populated. The head of Pakistan’s Earthquake Center, Zahid Rafi, warned of possible aftershocks.

The area where the quake struck is at the centre of an insurgency that Baluch separatists have been waging against the Pakistani government for years. The separatists regularly attack Pakistani troops trying to suppress the uprising as well as symbols of the Pakistani state, such as infrastructure projects.

Baluchistan is also poorly developed with little economic development.

The quake was felt as far away as New Delhi, the Indian capital, but no damage or casualties were immediately reported there, said Jai Chandra, a meteorologist with the India Meteorological Department.

The quake also jolted Pakistan’s largest city, Karachi, along the Arabian Sea, roughly 250 kilometres (155 miles) from the epicenter. People in the city’s tall office buildings rushed into the streets following the tremor, and Pakistani television showed images of lights swaying as the earth moved.

“I was working on my computer in the office. Suddenly I felt tremors. My table and computer started shaking. I thought I was feeling dizziness but soon realized they were tremors,” one Karachi resident, Mohammad Taimur, said.

A security guard at a bank in one of the buildings said he locked the doors after everyone left the office, then rushed into the street.

“At the time I felt the strong shock, I went inside the office to watch the TV. Other people were yelling ’Earthquake! Leave the office!” said Muhammad Akhtar.

In Quetta, the capital of Baluchistan, people also fled their homes and offices in panic.

Matiullah Khan, a cellphone vendor in Quetta, said he was in his shop with a customer when the cabinet and shelves started to shake.

“I along with customers rushed out to the main street … Thousands of people were standing, many in fear and reciting Quranic verses,” he said, referring to Islam’s holy book.

Baluchistan and neighbouring Iran are prone to earthquakes.

A magnitude 7.8, which was centred just across the border in Iran, killed at least 35 people in Pakistan last April.

In January 2011, a 7.2 magnitude quake damaged 200 mud-brick homes in a remote area of Baluchistan about 200 miles (320 kilometres) southwest of Quetta not far from the Afghan border, but caused no casualties.

http://www.vancouverdesi.com/news/death-toll-in-pakistan-quake-jumps-to-39-as-aftershocks-continue/633176/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• 1 month later...

No damages reported from magnitude 7.3 quake off Japan's east coast:

A magnitude 7.3 earthquake was recorded off Japan's east coast early Saturday, but there were no immediate reports of damages, officials said.

A tsunami warning reportedly was raised for the Honshu area by Japan's Meteorological Agency in response to the quake. It struck about 2:10 a.m. more than 200 miles off the coast, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The temblor reportedly was felt in Tokyo, about 300 miles away.

No tsunami warnings were posted for the rest of the Pacific by the U.S. Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.

On March 11, 2011, a magnitude 9.0 earthquake and tsunami killed thousands of people and caused major damage at the Fukushima nuclear power plant.

http://www.latimes.com/world/worldnow/la-fg-wn-japan-earthquake-coast-tsunami-20131025,0,6459307.story#axzz2ilHcxHaw

• 2 months later...

2 new studies say Vancouver would shake more than previously thought during an earthquake within 100 km of city:

Two new studies suggest parts of Metro Vancouver could experience much greater shaking than previously thought if the area is hit by a large earthquake.

Lead author Sheri Molnar from the University of British Columbia says that's because of the Georgia Basin, which causes seismic waves that pass through it to amplify as they make their way to the surface.

The basin lies beneath the Georgia Strait, between the Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island, and is filled with silt, sediments and glacial deposits.

Molnar says seismologists have always known that basins can increase ground shaking, but this is the first time in Canada that a study on a basin has been conducted.

Molnar and her colleagues simulated magnitude 6.8 earthquakes hitting Metro Vancouver, and found that when the waves pass through the Georgia Basin, areas in the southwestern part of Metro Vancouver shook three or four times more than if the basin were not there.

Natural Resources Canada researcher John Cassidy supervised the study, and he says the findings are important for upgrading building codes, bridge codes and other infrastructure to make them more structurally sound.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/earthquakes-amplified-in-silty-vancouver-basin-study-1.2504243

My girlfriend got me one of these for Christmas:

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PBC6600BK-Universal-External-Flashlight/dp/B00G13ICP0

It allows me to charge my phone over 4 times and has a really powerful flashlight. The company also sells ones that can recharge laptops and such.

Good to have in any situation where power could be down for a long period of time, including earthquakes.

• 3 months later...

That's a pretty big one, I thought I was just swaying or something until I saw our lights were moving and heard some creaking from the building (and the dog freaking out).

Hopefully everyone out closer to the epicenter are OK.