The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

There was a (smaller) support group in the north end last year, the marketing staff would not let them renew their season tickets unless they either relocated or disbanded.

Yes that's right the marketing staff refused 50 people season tickets in the north end, when it is often 1/2 empty. These are the people running the franchise's business operations.

Ah, I didn't know that's what you meant.

Really, that is seriously screwed up. No idea what the front office is thinking. The North End is a deadzone.

The highest rated game this year, beats any Lions regular season game on TV in the last 2 years (granted 1/2 the games were blacked out).

Team 1040 has done a fairly good job, but the papers can def be better. Local ratings for games are among some of the best in the league.

The Whitecaps have to do better with marketing though. One print ad a week, and youtube videos are not good enough. You have to create excitement. This team has yet to ever have one TV ad. All sell outs, and the hype surrounding them have been created by the fans and the media, not the team.

You have a link.? I find that hard to believe. CFL numbers blow the MLS out of the water. Whitecaps are averaging 80k on SN and 149K on TSN. The highest game was season opener against montreal at 541k. TSN+RDS combined as far as i can tell. Lions average 800k.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/sports/build+they+come/7384550/story.html

You have a link.? I find that hard to believe. CFL numbers blow the MLS out of the water. Whitecaps are averaging 80k on SN and 149K on TSN. The highest game was season opener against montreal at 541k. TSN+RDS combined as far as i can tell. Lions average 800k.

http://www.vancouver...4550/story.html

Not my point at all. I don't care about CFL ratings this is a Whitecaps thread. Even if I am wrong, it has NOTHING to do with my point.

Ah, I didn't know that's what you meant.

Really, that is seriously screwed up. No idea what the front office is thinking. The North End is a deadzone.

Blame Britany Nicholson (Manager of Fan relations. bnicholson@whitecapsfc.com) and Rachel Lewis (Marketing Dept. RLewis@whitecapsfc.com)

Those two, and the entire marketing staff were hired with ZERO sports marketing experience. Sports marketing is so different than regular marketing that a lot of schools offer "Sports Marketing" as a separate major.

Getting fans in seats is different than running a bank. Which is wear they hired most of their staff.

I named those two specifically because of everyone I talked to, those were the two to say 'you can't have a support group in the north end', 'the north end is a more preferred place to sit', and 'our pre game tail gate does not prevent people from getting to their seats on time'. They once ran the pre game tail gate 5 minutes into game time.

These two can be "middle men" for all I know, I am just getting sick of people outside the actual managing of the team, being so disrespectful towards the fans.

I am trying to put my own support group in HALF the north end away from the families. It would be PG (no swearing and cursing). Would really help if you guys could email them (respectfully) to implore them to allow a north end support group.

Edited by Kamero89

Not my point at all. I don't care about CFL ratings this is a Whitecaps thread. Even if I am wrong, it has NOTHING to do with my point.

LOL defensive much. I haven't read this entire thread so i don't know nor do i care what your "point" is about. Your the one that commented on the tv ratings and im simply showing your statement that the Whitecaps top the Lions in viewership couldn't be further from the truth.

Just to make my point, the Whtiecaps are coming up on their biggest game in their history, and have any of you seen or heard an ad for this game, at all? Outside of their daily print ad in the Province, they have done NOTHING in terms radio pre Youtube video or TV ads.

Portland and Seattle run a few hundred ads on TV and pre Youtube videos a week, and neither team has ever NOT had a sell out .

You have to advertise to get people to go. All the current advertising is done by the fans.

Even the Canucks understand marketing better than these clowns. "Love this team, love this game" "We are all Canucks" were great ads, that got people into the team more.

Just to make my point, the Whtiecaps are coming up on their biggest game in their history, and have any of you seen or heard an ad for this game, at all? Outside of their daily print ad in the Province, they have done NOTHING in terms radio pre Youtube video or TV ads.

I agree with what you're saying about the press for the Timbers game. But not so much about "history".

Actually, just looking for an excuse to post this. Biggest game IMO because it's against the Cosmos and because of the shoot-out.

It's artificial, Scottish. Long blades of plastic grass kept level by rubber pellets. The non-greenness comes from the paint from the Lions football lines which are removed and re-painted before and after every Lions game. It kind of looks like a terrible pitch in Central America or the Carribean.

As for the scrappiness, yes, they are always this scrappy. The technical abilities of MLS players are nowhere near other "major" leagues. Also, playing on artificial turf cause the ball to bounce much more than on real grass.

7 minutes to go and Vancouver doesn't look like scoring. Where's the desperation? Dallas Seattle game is on TV tonight after this one. Go Sounders!

Edited by Hugemanskost

My observations based on this game:

1) Why the insistence on playing the long ball? It was clear it wasn't working in the first half. Far too much possession wasted by booting it up the pitch.

2) Why not have a go at them on the wing? I saw no effort to get it to anyone out wide to try and beat the defender down the wing.

3) Koffie might be strong when in possession, but he's a terribly sloppy passer of the ball.

4) Camillo did nothing of note to help the team and Miller was as poor as he is for Scotland. Robson wasn't very good either.

My observations based on this game:

1) Why the insistence on playing the long ball? It was clear it wasn't working in the first half. Far too much possession wasted by booting it up the pitch.

2) Why not have a go at them on the wing? I saw no effort to get it to anyone out wide to try and beat the defender down the wing.

3) Koffie might be strong when in possession, but he's a terribly sloppy passer of the ball.

4) Camillo did nothing of note to help the team and Miller was as poor as he is for Scotland. Robson wasn't very good either.

Astute observations, Scottish. My thoughts exactly.

The 'Caps play like English / Scottish football of the 70's... Hammer the diagonal long ball and hope to get in behind.

The gaps between 'Caps players is always huge, too. No support on the ball. Players are always left isolated and when the defensive shape shifts to the ball, there are no options available to the attacker. Dane Richards is a very speedy wide player, but, his head hasn't been in it since he agreed to play with Burnley a couple of months ago. What a shame.

Miller has been a giant turd of a signing. Absolutely useless. Robson has been good all year, but not great.

It says a lot about your club when its MVP is a 35 year old Right Back!

I agree with what you're saying about the press for the Timbers game. But not so much about "history".

Actually, just looking for an excuse to post this. Biggest game IMO because it's against the Cosmos and because of the shoot-out.

I meant since their re-birth. Obviously Soccer Bowl 79 was bigger.

If the game today is typical of the type of play the Whitecaps produce then you can count me as someone who will not watch many or any more games. They had something like 2 weeks to prepare for this game and this feeble effort is all they could muster? What were they doing on the practice pitch the last two weeks because it doesn't look like they were working on their game.

I don't know if this is on coaching or motivation or lack of execution but my mother's bridge club could have put up a better effort today. Some key players should be held accountable for their inaction today and at the top of my list is Barry Robson. Is this guy playing out the string so he can go back to Scotland as soon as possible? He was the worst of a bad bunch today but the whole team looked flat and disinterested.

And disinterested is how I'm left feeling about the Whitecaps. Damn I miss hockey.

...the whole team looked flat and disinterested.

This says it all right here, PuckDrop. You hit the nail on the head.

In the second half, when the 'Caps actually had some possession in the Timber's half, they would walk back when they lost possession. Robson... Miller... Camillo... pathetic! Also, since the Mid-season purge of Chumiento, Hasseli and Le Toux, the 'Caps seem to be second to every ball, on the ground and in the air. I can't think of an instance tonight where the 'Caps won an attacking header or beat a Timber's player to a 50-50 ball. Once again, pathetic.

A completely pathetic, lackluster effort in the franchise's biggest game since their return to top flight North American footy.

Sad thing is, I still love 'em! Just like I will never stop cheering for the Canucks after 41 years of futility, i will always support the 'Caps despite their troubles.

Go, 'Caps, go! And go, Sounders. 1-1 at the half.

I miss Hassli.

I would rather pay to go watch the semi-entertaining losing team of last year than this garbage. Yeah blowing up a 3rd place team was a great idea. Bringing Robson in reminds me of when the Canucks got Mark Messier- players past their prime who still wanna be captains.

I think it's time for Lenarduzzi to go. Enough pandering.