The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

I'm thinking of going to the game on Wednesday.

For people that have been to Empire, are you allowed to bring an SLR camera in? My biggest lens is a 55-200mm lens so nothing gigantic. I havn't had issues at Giants or Canucks games and I have seen SLRs at Lions games. But different league/team different rules I guess. Wouldn't want to get there to have them tell me to put it back in my car.

EDIT: To limit the threat of someone telling me to Google it:

CAMERA AND VIDEO EQUIPMENT

Camera with a lens less than 6’’ are allowed in the stadium. Professional cameras and video recorders are not permitted at Empire Field during Whitecaps matches.

Glad they spelled it out. The WHL policy is no "pro cameras" with no definition of what that is in terms of lens size. I should be fine with me 55-200mm

Edited by old_time_hockey

I'm thinking of going to the game on Wednesday.

For people that have been to Empire, are you allowed to bring an SLR camera in? My biggest lens is a 55-200mm lens so nothing gigantic. I havn't had issues at Giants or Canucks games and I have seen SLRs at Lions games. But different league/team different rules I guess. Wouldn't want to get there to have them tell me to put it back in my car.

EDIT: To limit the threat of someone telling me to Google it:

Glad they spelled it out. The WHL policy is no "pro cameras" with no definition of what that is in terms of lens size. I should be fine with me 55-200mm

Just Make sure your buy a whitecaps scarf before the game starts, they just add to the experience for some reason.

Took his shirt off after he scored, giving him his second yellow.

Good effort from the Caps though, too bad NE had to tie it up so late. Nolly played great out there.

:picard::sadno::picard:

Guys a card machine...

Has anyone heard anything new on the seating configuration at BC Place for soccer? As many of you know by now a CFL field is a good 40 yards longer than the NFL thus the reason for the big gaps at the ends of the pitch between the seating.

I always got the impression that BC Place could fill that gap with staggered seating because during it's CFL layout the endzone seating is raised quite high and it looks as though they could add staggered seating on the endzones for soccer matches or the odd american football game.

Even if they can't, I am sure they can figure something out for that area. Even Qwest field has pretty large gaps behind the goal.

Houston on the 10th (Away)

Chivas on the 16th (Home)

My bad. I heard Salgado wasn't gonna be available until the 16th, however, he may get fast-tracked with Hassli's indiscretions. Can we change his designation from DP to DPITA: Designated Pain in the Ass

Edited by Canuck_4_Life

My bad. I heard Salgado wasn't gonna be available until the 16th, however, he may get fast-tracked with Hassli's indiscretions. Can we change his designation from DP to DPITA: Designated Pain in the Ass

He was supposed to be with the US U20 team until the 10th, but they got eliminated yesterday, so hopefully he'll be available in Houston on Sunday

Both Salgado and Teibert will be in Houston with the team. If Teibert is fit he will start on the left side again. With the Hassli suspension, we could see Salgado come on as a sub since I assume Camilo and Harris will start again.

Some updates on other players

Jay Demerit - Looks like he will play against Houston

John Thorrington - Is now hurt apparently, (re-aggravated an injury?) he did a fine job replacing Dunfield last game.

Terry Dunfield - Not expected to play Sunday

Gershon Koffie - Will now miss the next 3 games because he has been called up to the U20 Ghana squad. Was going to miss one originally for suspension.

Alexandre Morfaw - One of our depth CM's who is out with a broken hand now.

Alain Rochat - Could be starting at CM because of the amount of players we're now missing. I expect he will do just fine there as he has been excellent at both LB and CB so far.

Chiumiento - May start Sunday, possibly even at CM

A little murky who would we could be seeing on Sunday. Leathers, Camilo, Harris, Boxall and Demerit (looks like he will return) all seem to be locks for their position. Rochat will play but not quite sure where, either LB or CM.

Best case scenario (all possible players get fit)

LB - Rochat

CB - Demerit

CB - Boxall

RB - Leathers

LM - Teibert

HM - Harmse

CM - Chiumiento

RM - Knight or Khaflan

FW - Harris

FW - Camilo

Likely subs who would see the pitch - Salgado, Salinas and Wagner. (maybe Davies if they need a CM) Another possibility is Wagner at LB and Rochat at CM.

So do they put Joe Cannon in Sunday?

I thought that Nolly had a very strong game last night. There was a point leading up to the 90th minute the Revs had something like 4 straight corners. He made short work of those and a few crosses.

Is it like how hockey teams manage their goalies given this is a fairly short turn around in football terms.

Edited by old_time_hockey

So do they put Joe Cannon in Sunday?

I thought that Nolly had a very strong game last night. There was a point leading up to the 90th minute the Revs had something like 4 straight corners. He made short work of those and a few crosses.

Is it like how hockey teams manage their goalies given this is a fairly short turn around in football terms.

I think Nolly will keep getting the starts.

Nolly did a good job of controlling his box last game and effectively using his height, but I think he is average when it comes to ball stopping ability. Cannon is still dealing with some niggling injury issues as well, but I would not be surprised if Cannon is the starter at some point this year.

http://fulltimethesoccershow.blogspot.com/2011/04/whitecaps-training-notes-april-7.html

Whitecaps Training Notes - April 7

After a tough 1-1 draw between Vancouver and New England, the Whitecaps got back to training and conditioning today.

News from today:

- Shea Salinas had an injury set-back today and will not be on the trip after being included in the 18 man roster last night

- Terry Dunfield still limping from his groin strain and is unlikely to make the trip

- John Thorrington picked up a new injury on his calf and may not travel with the team.

- Gershon Koffie is suspended

So, the Whitecaps have a dilemma in the centre midfield. Kevin Harmse will most likely start in the middle and could play with either Chiumiento, Khalfan or Thorrington (if he can play) and even Alain Rochat potentially.

Camilo and Harris are almost guaranteed to start as the forwards.

- Jay DeMerit will travel with the team and could start on Sunday if not make a substitute appearance.

- Greg Janicki is unlikely to make the trip. He did not train today and is still limping noticeably.

Russell Teibert is back with the squad and will travel to Houston. He will likely start Left Midfield.

Omar Salgado will meet the team in Houston and could be included in the 18 man roster.

Jay Nolly should start in net.

If there is no Thorrington, Dunfield or DeMerit, look to Alain Rochat to captain the Whitecaps side on Sunday

Sucks that Salinas had a setback, I was looking forward to see him play.

One forgotten player for me is Michael Nanchoff, our other 1st Round Pick. He's part of the unvailable CM list due to injury. It'd be nice to see his offensive ability added to the line-up.

Edited by Gnickers87
  • Upvote 1