Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

The 2011-12 Chicago Wolves Thread

Speculation

• Please log in to reply
1495 replies to this topic

Poll: Connauton or Granani (198 member(s) have cast votes)

Which defenceman has more upside,or do You think will be a more valuable Defenceman in the future ?

1. 22 yr old Connauton (167 votes [84.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 84.34%

2. 25 yr old Gragnani (31 votes [15.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.66%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 winsyloveshockey

winsyloveshockey

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:11 PM

St. John's Baptists

That it too freaking funny!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it!

#32 winsyloveshockey

winsyloveshockey

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:27 PM

Doesn't really matter what they call the St. John's team. They're not ours anymore... Too bad. I liked the Moose! :(Chicago would make most sense since there are already facilities there. The rivalry with the Hawks might be tough, but then again, the AHL team is also a completely separate entity from the Canucks. Let the Chicago Canucks and the Ice Hogs duke it out! Could be interesting!

#33 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,532 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:31 PM

One thing that has been overlooked, we need a new ECHL affiliate as well.
Posted Image

#34 Canucks13

Canucks13

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:56 PM

Chicago has a new ECHL team as well would be great for the wolves. I guess Calgary could take the Wolves and we get the Heat so there is no big time rival planting an AHL team in their back yard. No one likes the Heat and the same would be for the Wolves if we take them. I think Chicago can stomach a Calgary farm team there and we keep our farm team here.
Posted Image credit to chenwei91
Posted Image

#35 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:30 PM

The Colorado Eagles of the IHL are joining the ECHL starting next season, so maybe there could be an affiliation there. They'd play in the same Mountain Division that the Salmon Kings did as well.

As for the AHL, from what I've heard the Wolves are not really as keen on developing as much as winning. This would mean stocking up on veteran AHLers with no room for our prospects. And that would be an instant deal-breaker. We have Noel under contract still (hope he stays within the organization) and he's good at doing both as was evidenced by the Moose's season. I'd hate to let him go.

Also I'd rather we have our AHL prospects in the east if possible... saves more time for them to practice and get better. Which is what really matters here.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#36 willhouse

willhouse

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:33 AM

The Colorado Eagles of the IHL are joining the ECHL starting next season, so maybe there could be an affiliation there. They'd play in the same Mountain Division that the Salmon Kings did as well.

As for the AHL, from what I've heard the Wolves are not really as keen on developing as much as winning. This would mean stocking up on veteran AHLers with no room for our prospects. And that would be an instant deal-breaker. We have Noel under contract still (hope he stays within the organization) and he's good at doing both as was evidenced by the Moose's season. I'd hate to let him go.

Also I'd rather we have our AHL prospects in the east if possible... saves more time for them to practice and get better. Which is what really matters here.

Does Noel have a contract with the Canucks? or the Moose. I thought he was just contracted with the moose and therefore stay with that team?

#37 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:36 AM

Most AHL teams are located in the Eastern timezones. Having a team out West (like the Heat) will drastically increase travel costs and really messed up schedules. Unless you're the Chicago Wolves, the Hersey Bears or the former Manitoba Moose, you have to keep cost down to be competitive financially.

They would have sellout crowds just about every night if they were in Metro Vancouver or close.
Posted Image

#38 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:22 PM

According to the Province, the Canucks' AHL affiliation is expected to be announced at the NHL Draft. Another reason to look forward to the NHL Draft. :)
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#39 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,515 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:00 AM

I'm REALLY hoping it's not the wolves. the wolves are fun to go to, and it's true they are run like an NHL team, but the problem is, that because they have the same mentality as an NHL team, they don't want to waste their time developing prospects, they just care about winning. The NHL affiliate has say over who comes to the team, but the team loads up on career AHLers (including those that they request their parent org to acquire) and then gives them the most ice time.

The only time they give the prospects any minutes is if they make an immediate impact, which means only the top prospects get anything resembling development time (and usually those players are brought up to the parent club anyway, because, atlanta sucked), and any fringe players, or players who are coming back from significant injury are overlooked and pushed to the bottom of their depth chart.

Shirokov, Schroeder, and Coho would have had 3rd line min at best on the wolves (especially shiro in his first season), and Grabs probably would have been sent down to the ECHL in his first couple years, and never would have developed to the point where he is today.

If the Canucks affiliate with the wolves they will either force them to play the prospects a certain amount of time, or they will have a 1 season trial to see how it goes. If they choose them it'll be out of convenience and probably only until something better opens up. I just hope our prospects are not mishandled in the mean time.

Edited by avelanch, 21 June 2011 - 09:02 AM.

#40 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,580 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:29 PM

Too bad Victoria got a WHL team, otherwise I would say Victoria is the perfect place for an AHL team for the Canucks. Think the island could handle the AHL and the WHL?
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#41 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,580 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:32 PM

I'm REALLY hoping it's not the wolves. the wolves are fun to go to, and it's true they are run like an NHL team, but the problem is, that because they have the same mentality as an NHL team, they don't want to waste their time developing prospects, they just care about winning. The NHL affiliate has say over who comes to the team, but the team loads up on career AHLers (including those that they request their parent org to acquire) and then gives them the most ice time.

The only time they give the prospects any minutes is if they make an immediate impact, which means only the top prospects get anything resembling development time (and usually those players are brought up to the parent club anyway, because, atlanta sucked), and any fringe players, or players who are coming back from significant injury are overlooked and pushed to the bottom of their depth chart.

Shirokov, Schroeder, and Coho would have had 3rd line min at best on the wolves (especially shiro in his first season), and Grabs probably would have been sent down to the ECHL in his first couple years, and never would have developed to the point where he is today.

If the Canucks affiliate with the wolves they will either force them to play the prospects a certain amount of time, or they will have a 1 season trial to see how it goes. If they choose them it'll be out of convenience and probably only until something better opens up. I just hope our prospects are not mishandled in the mean time.

where is the Hawks farm team located? Wouldn't it make sense for the Hawks to take over the Wolves and we take there farm team or keep swaping some more with Calgary and take over the Heat.
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

#42 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:36 PM

where is the Hawks farm team located? Wouldn't it make sense for the Hawks to take over the Wolves and we take there farm team or keep swaping some more with Calgary and take over the Heat.

The Rockford Icehogs is Chi-town's affiliate, which are both in Illinois, and just a couple counties over from Chicago. So I doubt they'd make that change just to be a couple miles closer.

Posted Image

STHS Hockey League - Brooklyn Beavers GM

#43 narcan2k

narcan2k

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:36 PM

I have thought a lot about this subject. So much so that I wrote an article on www.canuckscorner.com about it.

We have a lot of options outside of the Wolves that are worth looking at. Follow this link to check it out.

Canucks fan from the minute the sperm bodychecked the egg into mitosis...
Posted Image
I don't post much 'cause most of what I'd like to write is utter tripe.
Follow me on Twitter - @narcan2k

#44 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,580 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:18 PM

My ideal solution is The Calgary hitman WHL team is moved to Nanaimo
The Flames AHL team are moved to Calgary or nearby, why not have the AHL team in the same City
and the Heat get taken over by the Canucks

but with the Flames owning the Heat that is pretty unlikely

#45 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,515 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:26 AM

The Rockford Icehogs is Chi-town's affiliate, which are both in Illinois, and just a couple counties over from Chicago. So I doubt they'd make that change just to be a couple miles closer.

75 miles, and 1 hr 32 min closer. no way does the blackhawks even consider changing affiliates. besides, they know all about how the wolves run, and they will stay away.

#46 nucklehead1991

nucklehead1991

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:12 AM

<br/>Surrey Turbans<br/><br/>Delta Browns<br/><br/>Richmond Karates<br/><br/>Langley Horsemen<br/><br/>Abbotsford Farmers<br/><br/>Hope Rambos<br/><br/>Maple Ridge Golden Ears<br/><br/>White Rock Fishenchips<br/><br/>Vancouver Island Ferries<br/>

hahahaha this is priceless...

I like the DELTA DIKES better than Delta Browns

#47 JoGuitar

JoGuitar

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:54 PM

It's the Chicago Wolves... TheFourthPeriod David Pagnotta by passittobulis Chicago Wolves are the new AHL affiliate for the Vancouver Canucks.
Posted Image

#48 Canucks13

Canucks13

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:52 PM

These Wolves are going to need all the support they need as they are in Hawk country sorta like the Heat. Go Wolves Go stick it to the Hawks.
Posted Image

#49 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,515 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:49 PM

the sabres just ended their affiliation with the portland pirates, stuff just got real interesting.

As for the fourth period claiming it's the wolves, if noone else is reporting on it, and they don't say how they discovered it, I'm not going to hold my breath. especially if they are not even putting it on their main site.

Edited by avelanch, 24 June 2011 - 03:56 PM.

#50 Canucks13

Canucks13

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:41 PM

I don't think its official yet the Portland Pirates don't have an NHL team either but its too far away for us but I don't think its a done deal yet
Posted Image

#51 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,515 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:51 PM

Portland could be bought and moved, with little problem.

in this year's playoffs they averaged 3,254 fans per game, that's 12th out of 16.

During the regular season, they averaged 4,655 fans per game, 18th out of 30.

#52 SpartyOn

SpartyOn

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:58 AM

I just want to say that there are a HUGE number of Chicago Wolves fans who are ready, willing and able to cheer on this new affiliation. Despite what propaganda you may have heard, this team has a big, loyal fan base who regularly attend games and other team activities and we are so excited to lose our affiliation with the horrible organization that masqueraded as an NHL hockey team, the Atlanta Thrashers. If you read up on the history of the Chicago Wolves franchise, you will see that we are an organization used to winning championships. The past few years have been painful for us season ticket holders to watch. Atlanta just never could draft talent that we could then develop and we were left to our own devices to sign older players to Wolves contracts to try to compete. I know that many of our players were frustrated with the lack of opportunity given to advance with the Thrasher organization. If you look at that roster you will find only three Wolves players - I KNOW that in Winnepeg there will be more of our players given a chance to prove themselves at the NHL level. So all the negative Wolves talk you've heard most likely came from disgruntled Atlanta fans, don't believe them!!! Yes, many of us are Blackhawks fans, but we're also adult enough to be able to be fans of both teams without troubling our consciences. Welcome to the Allstate Arena where the pregame fireworks show is unlike any other anywhere.....we're happy to have an affiliation with a team who is serious about winning hockey and look forward to seeing some new young players develop here in Chicago. Now I have to go buy a Canucks shirt.......cheers!!!
Is it tripping or diving??? Never understood how it could be both.

#53 Canucks13

Canucks13

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:32 PM

I just want to say that there are a HUGE number of Chicago Wolves fans who are ready, willing and able to cheer on this new affiliation. Despite what propaganda you may have heard, this team has a big, loyal fan base who regularly attend games and other team activities and we are so excited to lose our affiliation with the horrible organization that masqueraded as an NHL hockey team, the Atlanta Thrashers. If you read up on the history of the Chicago Wolves franchise, you will see that we are an organization used to winning championships. The past few years have been painful for us season ticket holders to watch. Atlanta just never could draft talent that we could then develop and we were left to our own devices to sign older players to Wolves contracts to try to compete. I know that many of our players were frustrated with the lack of opportunity given to advance with the Thrasher organization. If you look at that roster you will find only three Wolves players - I KNOW that in Winnepeg there will be more of our players given a chance to prove themselves at the NHL level. So all the negative Wolves talk you've heard most likely came from disgruntled Atlanta fans, don't believe them!!! Yes, many of us are Blackhawks fans, but we're also adult enough to be able to be fans of both teams without troubling our consciences. Welcome to the Allstate Arena where the pregame fireworks show is unlike any other anywhere.....we're happy to have an affiliation with a team who is serious about winning hockey and look forward to seeing some new young players develop here in Chicago. Now I have to go buy a Canucks shirt.......cheers!!!

I have been thinking and I wouldn't mind having the Wolves as our team, would get us a foothold into Hawks territory and the Wolves following is cool. Go Wolves Go!!
Posted Image

#54 edler rocks

edler rocks

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,036 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:10 AM

so...it is the wolves for sure?

#55 willhouse

willhouse

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:11 AM

I thought they were going to announce this at the draft. I guess Gillis is busy trying to get people signed and such.

#56 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,026 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:14 AM

It's gonna be weird not referring to our farm team as the Moose anymore, but I guess we'll have to get used to it.

I think we should be thankful that we had such a great farm team for so many years though. They helped develop some of the great players that we have on this team today. Names like Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows, Raymond, Schneider, Edler, Hansen, and even Hodgson. And I think a thank you should go out to the people of Manitoba for the great support that they've shown to our players over the years.

However change can sometimes be a good thing. So lets look towards our new, perhaps temporary farm team, the Chicago Wolves. I'm excited for the new injection of talent that we'll have this year. Players like Rodin, Anthony, Friesen, Rai, Grenier, and Archibald will all bring an element of skill and grit that should compliment the players we already have quite well.

My projected lineup would go something like this:

Bill Sweatt - Jordan Schroeder - Anton Rodin
Darren Archibald - Alex Bolduc - Guilluames Desbiens
Steven Anthony - Alex Friesen - Alexandre Grenier
Aaron Volpatti - Stefan Schneider - Prab Rai

Yann Sauve - Mark Flood
Ryan Parent - Kevin Connauton
Adam Polasek - Keith Seabrook

Eddie Lack
Tyler Weiman

I'm not sure how the agreement works, but I'm sure we'll have to keep some of the players that they've already signed on the team. But this is just how I see our AHL depth being right now. Some of those players may have to play in the ECHL or on other AHL teams.Either way, I think the Moose will be a big, skilled, and gritty team next season.

I would love to see how a line of Sweatt, Schroeder, and Rodin would play. They may be small, but they're lightning quick, and have a ton of skill.

Edited by DeNiro, 26 June 2011 - 02:17 AM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#57 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:35 AM

Where the ???? has Prab Rai gone?

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#58 Kassian

Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:36 AM

Prab Rai? Really? Heck, even volpatti on the 4th line is weird.

Posted Image

#59 burrkeshanlon

burrkeshanlon

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:36 AM

It's gonna be weird not referring to our farm team as the Moose anymore, but I guess we'll have to get used to it.

I think we should be thankful that we had such a great farm team for so many years though. They helped develop some of the great players that we have on this team today. Names like Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows, Raymond, Schneider, Edler, Hansen, and even Hodgson. And I think a thank you should go out to the people of Manitoba for the great support that they've shown to our players over the years.

However change can sometimes be a good thing. So lets look towards our new, perhaps temporary farm team, the Chicago Wolves. I'm excited for the new injection of talent that we'll have this year. Players like Rodin, Anthony, Friesen, Rai, Grenier, and Archibald will all bring an element of skill and grit that should compliment the players we already have quite well.

My projected lineup would go something like this:

Bill Sweatt - Jordan Schroeder - Anton Rodin
Darren Archibald - Alex Bolduc - Guilluames Desbiens
Steven Anthony - Alex Friesen - Alexandre Grenier
Aaron Volpatti - Stefan Schneider - Prab Rai

Yann Sauve - Mark Flood
Ryan Parent - Kevin Connauton
Adam Polasek - Keith Seabrook

Eddie Lack
Tyler Weiman

I'm not sure how the agreement works, but I'm sure we'll have to keep some of the players that they've already signed on the team. But this is just how I see our AHL depth being right now. Some of those players may have to play in the ECHL or on other AHL teams.Either way, I think the Moose will be a big, skilled, and gritty team next season.

I would love to see how a line of Sweatt, Schroeder, and Rodin would play. They may be small, but they're lightning quick, and have a ton of skill.

what a name haha

but on topic i hope they have a good season, and it will be weird referring them as the wolves now (kinda like GM Place to Rogers)

Do you think Grenier will be in the team before Jensen?

http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2408928/burrows-scooores-o.gif

#60 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,026 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:49 AM

what a name haha

but on topic i hope they have a good season, and it will be weird referring them as the wolves now (kinda like GM Place to Rogers)

Do you think Grenier will be in the team before Jensen?

Jensen is only 18 years old and therefore cannot play in the AHL yet based on the CHL agreement.

Grenier on the other hand was an over-ager playing in the OHL. So he has to go to either the Salmon kings, or the Wolves. Based on his skill and size though, I would guess that he goes to the wolves.

Edited by DeNiro, 26 June 2011 - 02:50 AM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.