The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The 2011-12 Chicago Wolves Thread

b3.

Connauton or Granani  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I wonder at the possibility of Seattle or environs getting an AHL team... They DID want an NHL team, according to the news stories a couple months ago. This might be a healthy alternative.

i think i remember that gillis said, they had three or several choices to where to put their farm team....they have to decide soon....i wonder if they go into chicago, will they get any spectators? seattle would work on so many levels but can they get into the ahl for next year?....apparently abbotsford is not working out that well for calgary?....

Wait so we get the Chicago Wolves? How is that going to work out?

Surely, we can't have our AHL affiliate in Chicago...our prospects would be blocked from going to the airport if we needed to call them up. They definitely wouldn't get any fan support.

Anyways, the team in St. John's should be named the St. John's Puffins. Or Caribou.

Doesn't really matter what they call the St. John's team. They're not ours anymore... Too bad. I liked the Moose! :(Chicago would make most sense since there are already facilities there. The rivalry with the Hawks might be tough, but then again, the AHL team is also a completely separate entity from the Canucks. Let the Chicago Canucks and the Ice Hogs duke it out! Could be interesting!

Chicago has a new ECHL team as well would be great for the wolves. I guess Calgary could take the Wolves and we get the Heat so there is no big time rival planting an AHL team in their back yard. No one likes the Heat and the same would be for the Wolves if we take them. I think Chicago can stomach a Calgary farm team there and we keep our farm team here.

The Colorado Eagles of the IHL are joining the ECHL starting next season, so maybe there could be an affiliation there. They'd play in the same Mountain Division that the Salmon Kings did as well.

As for the AHL, from what I've heard the Wolves are not really as keen on developing as much as winning. This would mean stocking up on veteran AHLers with no room for our prospects. And that would be an instant deal-breaker. We have Noel under contract still (hope he stays within the organization) and he's good at doing both as was evidenced by the Moose's season. I'd hate to let him go.

Also I'd rather we have our AHL prospects in the east if possible... saves more time for them to practice and get better. Which is what really matters here.

The Colorado Eagles of the IHL are joining the ECHL starting next season, so maybe there could be an affiliation there. They'd play in the same Mountain Division that the Salmon Kings did as well.

As for the AHL, from what I've heard the Wolves are not really as keen on developing as much as winning. This would mean stocking up on veteran AHLers with no room for our prospects. And that would be an instant deal-breaker. We have Noel under contract still (hope he stays within the organization) and he's good at doing both as was evidenced by the Moose's season. I'd hate to let him go.

Also I'd rather we have our AHL prospects in the east if possible... saves more time for them to practice and get better. Which is what really matters here.

Most AHL teams are located in the Eastern timezones. Having a team out West (like the Heat) will drastically increase travel costs and really messed up schedules. Unless you're the Chicago Wolves, the Hersey Bears or the former Manitoba Moose, you have to keep cost down to be competitive financially.

I'm REALLY hoping it's not the wolves. the wolves are fun to go to, and it's true they are run like an NHL team, but the problem is, that because they have the same mentality as an NHL team, they don't want to waste their time developing prospects, they just care about winning. The NHL affiliate has say over who comes to the team, but the team loads up on career AHLers (including those that they request their parent org to acquire) and then gives them the most ice time.

The only time they give the prospects any minutes is if they make an immediate impact, which means only the top prospects get anything resembling development time (and usually those players are brought up to the parent club anyway, because, atlanta sucked), and any fringe players, or players who are coming back from significant injury are overlooked and pushed to the bottom of their depth chart.

Shirokov, Schroeder, and Coho would have had 3rd line min at best on the wolves (especially shiro in his first season), and Grabs probably would have been sent down to the ECHL in his first couple years, and never would have developed to the point where he is today.

If the Canucks affiliate with the wolves they will either force them to play the prospects a certain amount of time, or they will have a 1 season trial to see how it goes. If they choose them it'll be out of convenience and probably only until something better opens up. I just hope our prospects are not mishandled in the mean time.

Archived