Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

The 2011-12 Chicago Wolves Thread

Speculation

• Please log in to reply
1495 replies to this topic

Poll: Connauton or Granani (198 member(s) have cast votes)

Which defenceman has more upside,or do You think will be a more valuable Defenceman in the future ?

1. 22 yr old Connauton (167 votes [84.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 84.34%

2. 25 yr old Gragnani (31 votes [15.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.66%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#151 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:40 AM

Btw, to SpartyOn, Wolves94, G50 and all other Wolves fans: welcome to the lunatic house we call CDC! Registered on Wolfkeeper now too, using a shortened name Posted Image

As for the roster, it sounds like Tommernes and Peter Andersson aren't coming over to North America for next year. Hopefully Frolunda is better next season and they both play big roles on that team. Pathrik Westerholm is signed with the Malmo Redhawks for 2011-12 if his Elite Prospects profile is correct. I also think Alexandre Grenier plays an overage season; let him dominate juniors for a year first.

With Bliznak leaving for AC Sparta Praha and Oreskovich likely as 4th line RW with the Canucks, this opens up a few spots. A lot of variable parts at present, but for now I'll assume that:

• The Wolves re-sign Darren Haydar. Would help the young guys greatly if they could have a veteran scoring presence to guide them
  • Sebastian Erixon comes to NA, Froshaug stays in Norway
  • Hodgson and Tanev are sent down for the beginning of the year (called up midway perhaps), Parent sticks with Vancouver
  • Rai is healthy enough to play by the beginning of next year, starts in the ECHL with Tochkin and Polasek. Same with Ellington (remember him?)
  • Shirokov makes the big club, is given a shot in the Top 6 while Bolduc kept as 13th forward
  • Desbiens probably not re-signed, MacGregor Sharp re-signed for depth on the farm
Keeping in mind that the Wolves already have Kevin Doell and Mark Matheson under contract for next year, I'm guessing the roster would look something like:

B. Sweatt - Hodgson - Darren Haydar
M. Sharp - Schroeder - Rodin
Archibald - Friesen - Anthony
Volpatti - Kevin Doell - S. Schneider

Sauve - Tanev
Mark Matheson - L. Sweatt
Erixon - Connauton

Lack

Edited by Canvoucer Vanuck, 28 June 2011 - 02:46 AM.

RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#152 WolfKeeper

WolfKeeper

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:18 AM

I believe Haydar has a two year with the Wolves, and 11-12 will be his second year.

I heard a rumor the Wolves were looking for a veteran defenseman before the announcement of Vancouver as the parent club, that may change now that they have Vancouver's resources to help out.

Edited by WolfKeeper, 28 June 2011 - 05:19 AM.

I like beer. And hockey.

#153 Schticks51

Schticks51

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:56 AM

Hi everyone..looking forward to a great hockey season and being part of a community that want to know how their prospects are doing. What a refreshing change.

#154 Canucks13

Canucks13

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:53 AM

Hope the Wolves have a great season, also that Hawk fans don't ruin the games. I can see the Hawk fans coming in force for Ice Hog games but hopefully they aren't too bad for the other games.
Posted Image credit to chenwei91
Posted Image

#155 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,820 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:30 PM

Am I the only one to see the irony in Vancouver obtaining the Wolves? What are the two animals B.C. is famous for? Orcas & Wolves...

Now they just need to change the ugly frackin' logo. Make it look majestic, not hidious.

Edited by gumballthechewy, 30 June 2011 - 03:39 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#156 Ted Gruber

Ted Gruber

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:52 PM

Am I the only one to see the irony in Vancouver obtaining the Wolves? What are the two animals B.C. is famous for? Orcas & Wolves...

Now they just need to change the ugly frackin' logo. Make it look majestic, not hidious.

If you are talking about the Wolves logo, then no it doesn't need to be changed.

It was once rated (and still is most likely) the most favorable logo in the AHL.

Wolves are a well known jersey and I believe they sell in the top tier of the most jersey merchandise ever year.

#157 wolfgang puck

wolfgang puck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:27 AM

I'd like to extend a big welcome to the Wolves fans joining up.Wer'e kind of an odd match of in-laws but we now have something in common to root for although I know for me it's going to feel wierd to cheer for a Chicago hockey team but I'll probably get used to it.I think we have an underrated group of prospects who should be competitive again next year and I'm predicting much better seasons from Schroeder,Sweatt,Connauton,and Sauve who struggled at times in their rookie campaigns.We had trouble scoring goals last year,even strength and powerplay,as well as lots of first year pros on defence but were bailed out by a great season by Eddie Lack in goal and steady d-men like Mark Flood who I hope will be back.Unfortunately Sergei Shirokov,who was our top scorer from last season,just signed in Russia after two years in the AHL and not much of a shot at the bigs and our top offensive prospect,Cody Hodgson,could be in the NHL next year so offensive could be hard to come by unless the incoming players can make an impact.We have our 2009 second round pick Anton Rodin coming to North America from the SEL who's a quick and skilled goal scoring winger who's not afraid to go to the net,and last years free agent signing Darren Archibald from the OHL who's a budding power forward who put up good numbers after being traded to Niagria.On that same team was Alex Friesen who was a draft pick from last year and is a real hard nosed third line centre who can also bring the offence and could be playing in the AHL next season.

#158 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,206 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:12 PM

Hmmm...

I got nothing then, maybe the rules I listed dont apply because of Tommernes age

Edit: i found the article you were refering to... I guess due to his age the rules that Bob said dont apply

precisely. hernik turns 21 in august, he should be eligible to go right into the AHL.

edit, I got that wrong, the age for non-first rounders is actually 22, not 21 like I thought. Tommernes would have to go back to Sweden.

Edited by avelanch, 01 July 2011 - 01:22 PM.

#159 stonecoldstevebernier

stonecoldstevebernier

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:21 PM

So when do our titles on CDC change from "Manitoba Moose Star" etc. to "Chicago Wolves Star"? :P

Posted Image

3DS FC: 2664 3135 8148. Feel free to add me!

#160 DanrikCarter

DanrikCarter

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:19 AM

I think the team will be pretty competitive...

MANCARI - HODGSON - HAYDAR
SWEATT - SCHROEDER - RODIN
VOLPATTI - EBBETT - SHARP
ARCHIBALD - SCHNEIDER - ANTHONY

SAUVE - TANEV
PARENT - ERIXON?
CONNAUTON - BAUMGARTNER

LACK
CANNATA?

That's a good AHL roster and it could get better with the likes of Anderson and Tommernes possibly coming over.

Edited by DanrikCarter, 03 July 2011 - 03:21 AM.

Posted Image

#161 Toki

Toki

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:36 PM

So when do our titles on CDC change from "Manitoba Moose Star" etc. to "Chicago Wolves Star"? :P

Yeah, who wants to be a star on a team that doesn't exist?

#162 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,519 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:39 PM

Hmmm...

I got nothing then, maybe the rules I listed dont apply because of Tommernes age

Edit: i found the article you were refering to... I guess due to his age the rules that Bob said dont apply

The Canucks have two years after drafting a European player to sign him.

Prior to 2005, NHL teams retained the rights to a European player until that player turned 31. Drafted Europeans must now be signed within two years, the same as North Americans, or the team loses the rights to the player.

http://proicehockey....Draft-Works.htm

Posted Image

#163 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:02 PM

If you are talking about the Wolves logo, then no it doesn't need to be changed.

It was once rated (and still is most likely) the most favorable logo in the AHL.

Wolves are a well known jersey and I believe they sell in the top tier of the most jersey merchandise ever year.

Is this the Tim Gruber covering the Wolves on The Instigator?

Hi everyone..looking forward to a great hockey season and being part of a community that want to know how their prospects are doing. What a refreshing change.

Welcome to CDC, and all other Wolves fans too! I guess a lot of Atlanta fans never really took much time to found out more about how things were going with the Wolves?

#164 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,206 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:50 AM

Is this the Tim Gruber covering the Wolves on The Instigator?

Welcome to CDC, and all other Wolves fans too! I guess a lot of Atlanta fans never really took much time to found out more about how things were going with the Wolves?

the vast majority of Atlanta fans never knew the wolves even existed.

#165 Schticks51

Schticks51

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:49 AM

the vast majority of Atlanta fans never knew the wolves even existed.

Honestly, they knew we existed but, only to say we were the root of everything wrong with their team.

#166 SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:33 AM

The players who had contracts with the Chicago Wolves stay with the Wolves, which is currently two players. The players that had contracts with the Atlanta Thrashers/Winnipeg Jets are going to their new affiliate in St. Johns.

That list has grown to 4 players (with Wolves contracts). In addition to Darren Haydar and Mark Matheson (who I'm assuming were the two players you were alluding to), the Wolves have signed centreman Kevin Doell (see: http://www.chicagowo...ring-back-doell) and appear to have also recently signed Tim Miller (see: http://www.chicagono...miller-returns/).

Doell is returning to Chicago (last played with Wolves in 2009-10) after playing in Finland (Tapara Tampere--SM-Liiga) in 2010-11 and Miller impressed during the latter part of last season (33 GP, 11 G, 9 A) after joining the team on a PTO in February 2011.

In the limited sources I've read (including those linked), some Wolves followers have suggested that Doell and Miller might play well together, especially on the PK.

EDIT: errors corrected

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME, 07 July 2011 - 01:47 AM.

#167 Ted Gruber

Ted Gruber

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:29 PM

That list has grown to 4 players (with Wolves contracts). In addition to Darren Haydar and Mark Matheson (who I'm assuming were the two players you were alluding to), the Wolves have signed centreman Kevin Doell (see: http://www.chicagowo...ring-back-doell) and appear to have also recently signed Tim Miller (see: http://www.chicagono...miller-returns/).

Doell is returning to Chicago (last played with Wolves in 2009-10) after playing in Finland (Tapara Tampere--SM-Liiga) in 2010-11 and Miller impressed during the latter part of last season (33 GP, 11 G, 9 A) after joining the team on a PTO in February 2011.

In the limited sources I've read (including those linked), some Wolves followers have suggested that Doell and Miller might play well together, especially on the PK.

EDIT: errors corrected

That is me who writes the blogs over at Chicago Now about the Wolves.

Looking forward to talking about the Wolves all season and keeping you guys informed about the prospects and other happenings with the team.

Thanks!

#168 Canuckitty

Canuckitty

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:15 PM

Thank YOU! When you get a chance, will you please put up the Wolves' roster? It doesn't seem to be on the AHL website yet.

#169 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,206 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:06 PM

Thank YOU! When you get a chance, will you please put up the Wolves' roster? It doesn't seem to be on the AHL website yet.

it won't be up until after the preseason.

The Expected lineup would be something like this:
Bill Sweatt		Jordan Schroeder	Anton Rodin
Steven Anthony		Kevin Doell		Tim Miller
Darren Archibald	Prab Rai		Stefan Schneider
Aaron Volpatti		Mike Duco		Darren Haydar

Nolan Baumgartner	Kevin Connauton
Ryan Parent		Adam Polasek
Yann Sauve		Chris Tanev
Mark Matheson

Eddie Lack
			Matt Climie

Edited by avelanch, 09 July 2011 - 10:35 PM.

#170 hockeystar

hockeystar

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:30 PM

<br />Abbotsford Heat!<br /><br />GTFO Calgary prospects. We don't want you here.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

agreed
Posted Image

#171 Bombastik der Teutone

Bombastik der Teutone

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,188 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:06 AM

it won't be up until after the preseason.

The Expected lineup would be something like this:

Bill Sweatt		Jordan Schroeder	Anton Rodin
Steven Anthony		Kevin Doell		Tim Miller
Darren Archibald	Prab Rai		Stefan Schneider
Aaron Volpatti		Mike Duco		Darren Haydar

Nolan Baumgartner	Kevin Connauton
Ryan Parent		Adam Polasek
Yann Sauve		Chris Tanev
Mark Matheson

Eddie Lack
			Matt Climie

thanks for this...you forgot defender alexander sulzer though

he had 96 points and +22 in 145 games for the admirals in the ahl
if he dont make the canucks roster he will be set on the 1. or 2. pairing for the wolves i guess

Posted Image

Credits to Vintage Canuck @ 2014

Regular Season

Posted ImageCDCGML St.Louis Blues RosterPosted Image

#172 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:17 AM

Last year the Moose looked like they were going to be a deep club with scoring on 3 different lines, but then that scoring depth gradually dissipated as the season wore on, due to a variety of reasons. I hope the Wolves don't suffer the same thing, as the Moose were hurting for goals towards the end, until Jaffray joined the team and other guys came back from injury.

#173 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,206 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:30 PM

thanks for this...you forgot defender alexander sulzer though

he had 96 points and +22 in 145 games for the admirals in the ahl
if he dont make the canucks roster he will be set on the 1. or 2. pairing for the wolves i guess

yeah, I didn't add guys that might not be in Chicago due to them potentially making the canucks (like Hodgson, Tanev, and Sulzer)

edit: oops, I did include Tanev :P

Edited by avelanch, 10 July 2011 - 01:31 PM.

#174 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:25 PM

AND you put him on the third pairing lol.

Also a rumour abounds that Mac T will be the Wolves coach
Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Writer and Vancouver Canucks Scout for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#175 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:55 PM

I heard about MacTavish too... interesting choice to say the least.

#176 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,206 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:38 AM

AND you put him on the third pairing lol.

Also a rumour abounds that Mac T will be the Wolves coach

the d-pairings were just me listing players, not really suggested pairings or rankings :P

Tanev-Sauve is just a foolish pairing, as they are both shutdown guys, and you should pair one rusher with one shut down guy.

I wasn't a fan of Connauton being paired with Baumgartner at the beginning of last season, but that was when Baumer was unmotivated and was pretty much pissed off at getting cut (not knowing his role of the aging vet that was supposed to show our young guys how to do it). i might feel more comfortable with him paired with Kevin this season, but I'd rather Kevin be paired with Tanev (if he doesn't make the nucks) or Sauve. let him get some chemistry with a potential partnet on the canucks in the future, not someone who he will be leaving in the minors in a year or 2 with no hope of being reunited.

taking tanev out, I'd make the pairings more like:
Nolan Baumgartner       Ryan Parent
Kevin Connauton         Yann Sauve
Adam Polasek            Sebastian Erixon
Mark Matheson

at least to start the year, and see where it goes from there.

Edited by avelanch, 14 July 2011 - 06:45 AM.

#177 falcon

falcon

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:36 PM

the d-pairings were just me listing players, not really suggested pairings or rankings :P

Tanev-Sauve is just a foolish pairing, as they are both shutdown guys, and you should pair one rusher with one shut down guy.

I wasn't a fan of Connauton being paired with Baumgartner at the beginning of last season, but that was when Baumer was unmotivated and was pretty much pissed off at getting cut (not knowing his role of the aging vet that was supposed to show our young guys how to do it). i might feel more comfortable with him paired with Kevin this season, but I'd rather Kevin be paired with Tanev (if he doesn't make the nucks) or Sauve. let him get some chemistry with a potential partnet on the canucks in the future, not someone who he will be leaving in the minors in a year or 2 with no hope of being reunited.

taking tanev out, I'd make the pairings more like:

Nolan Baumgartner       Ryan Parent
Kevin Connauton         Yann Sauve
Adam Polasek            Sebastian Erixon
Mark Matheson

at least to start the year, and see where it goes from there.

Is Tommernes going to stay in Sweden for another year?

I really liked the look of the Connauton Tanev pairing (even though I have only seen them play in last year's young stars tournament). They seemed to have good chemistry between them.

Edited by falcon, 15 July 2011 - 02:36 PM.

#178 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,441 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:48 PM

Is Tommernes going to stay in Sweden for another year?

I really liked the look of the Connauton Tanev pairing (even though I have only seen them play in last year's young stars tournament). They seemed to have good chemistry between them.

The transfer agreement between the NHL and the European leagues stipulates that if a 2011 draft pick under contract in Europe is not signed before 5 p.m. on July 15 (today), the NHL team would have to pay $100,000 to the player’s European team to be able to sign him before a second, more consequential deadline Aug. 15. If the player is not signed before 5 p.m. Aug. 15, then he must honor his contract in Europe in 2011-12.

http://www.northjers...inst_clock.html

Is Tommernes not under contract back in Sweden?

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#179 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,206 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:15 PM

Is Tommernes not under contract back in Sweden?

pretty sure he is, but I could be wrong.

#180 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,441 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:27 PM

pretty sure he is, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, everything I see says he's still under contract to Frolunda but I don't think the $100k would deter us from trying to sign him up until August 15th.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Speculation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.