The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The 2011-12 Chicago Wolves Thread

b3.

Connauton or Granani  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Would be pretty neat if the Chicago Express ended up being the ECHL affiliates of our club as well. Very easy for our scouts to go watch our prospects developing. Would be easier if we had the Heat and if the Salmon Kings wouldn't have folded up.

Exciting stuff at the least, gonna miss the Moose tremendously however.

As has already been stated, Keith Seabrook belongs to Calgary and will likely be playing in Abbotsford. On the other hand, we get to see what Mac Sharp has been doing. Unless something has changed, he's still a Canucks signee, temporarily swapped for Seabrook last season.

I don't think this is official and i'm still hoping it doesn't happen. I think Mike Gillis was hoping Kirk Muller would go to the Wolves but he's going to Nashvilles farm team, so that might mess things up with the wolves.

Well according to the link provided by a poster on the General discussion forum,

http://www.pressherald.com/news/pirates-say-so-long-sabres_2011-06-25.html

I think 99% Wolves it is. I already made my account on http://www.wolfkeeper.org/board2/viewforum.php?f=1

They look like knowledgeable and welcoming fans. I look forward discussing our prospects with them. My account name there is Ox. :frantic:

No doubt. I'd actually like to see them bring Krog & Haydar back (Haydar at the very least). Veteran offensive guys will only help our young offensive players.

Rodin-Krog-Haydar

Sweatt-Schroeder-Grenier

Archibald-Friesen-Desbien

Something like that...

I've heard that the Chicago Wolves are an organization that likes to stock up on veteran talent and gun for the cup, so it'll be interesting to see how things play out if they do end up as our affiliate. At the very least, I'm sure Gillis wouldn't affiliate with an AHL team if he wasn't confident it could help our prospects develop.But then again, I don't know how many options he's got..

Either way, the team starts off with a fresh slate. It'll be interesting to see how things play out for us.

I've heard that the Chicago Wolves are an organization that likes to stock up on veteran talent and gun for the cup, so it'll be interesting to see how things play out if they do end up as our affiliate. At the very least, I'm sure Gillis wouldn't affiliate with an AHL team if he wasn't confident it could help our prospects develop.But then again, I don't know how many options he's got..

Either way, the team starts off with a fresh slate. It'll be interesting to see how things play out for us.

I think Krog is going to play in Europe, and my guess would be that Machacek makes the Jets roster this season.

Other than Haydar, I think guys like Sweatt, Rodin, and Schroeder are better, and should find spots on the roster. As for some of the other guys like Archibald, Friesen, Anthony, and Grenier, I think they're going to have to earn their spots.

The good thing is that the Wolves didn't even make the playoffs, so there's no doubt that they're going to want to shake things up.

Yes, Krog signed a one year deal to go play for HV71 in Sweden. I was just scrolling through EP, and according to them they [Chicago Wolves] only have two players under contract for the 11/12 season so far, them being C Kevin Doell and D Mark Matheson.

Even the Griffins have a dozen AHL vets on their roster.

How else are kids going to learn unless there are some vets around to learn from?

A guy like Mike Keane for example.

I think it's a good thing the affiliate is a team that wants to win every year. Not much different from the Moose, actually.

Guest Voucer

http://www.chicagono...s-official.html

Press conference at 10 AM Chicago time tomorrow. Wolves are going to make the announcement, so we can put to rest any speculation and change the title of this section.

"Canucks Prospects & Chicago Wolves" :frantic:

ChicagoNow is a blog owned by one of the Chicago Tribune's subsidiaries. I'm pretty sure it's reliable.

Wolves and Canucks Official

Ted Gruber on 06.24.11 at 9:46 PM |

With much news coming from around the hockey news feed this afternoon regarding the Chicago Wolves, I can confirm through multiple sources the team is linking up with the Vancouver Canucks for 2011-2012 season.

The team has scheduled a press conference on Monday at 10AM regarding their affiliation and a possible coaching announcement could happen as well.

Regarding the coaching subject it seems that Don Lever is exiting that position after year and a half. He took over for Don Granato who was fired after a dismal start. Below are Lever's coaching stats with the Wolves.

-------------------------G---------W-----------L--------OTL------------%

2009-10-------------74---------48----------19---------7------------0.696

2010-11-------------80---------39----------30---------11-----------0.556

According to Hockey Inside Out, the site posted that Dany Dube from CKAC (Montreal Radio) said Kurt Muller accepted a job with the Wolves to become their head coach.

Nothing has been confirmed about the head coaching job by either the Wolves or the Canucks but I'm sure after the announcement things will quickly follow.

There has been a lot of discussion on whether the Wolves would indeed team up with a Chicago nemesis and indeed it has happened. Now before fans of the Wolves and Blackhawks along with the Canucks start marking days on the calendar to fight, don't be quick to judge the pairing.

The Wolves have a great location and are close to two major airports that are easily accessible for players to move from the Canucks to the Wolves and vice-versa. I have said in my past blogs the Wolves are a business first and with Don Levin and Co. leading the charge they are looking for the best fit as well as solidifying their AHL reputation.

With the Thrashers and the Wolves, they were on a hand shake agreement and I'm sure if Atlanta didn't get moved the Wolves would still be with a new affiliate this year. I think it really came down to Atlanta management not sure on what to do with their prospects and development.

Now before people run away with this information one thing I can confirm again the Wolves are the new minor league affiliate for the Canucks and that is probably the big announcement happening on Monday.

I will be at the presser and will be doing video as well as hoping to get interviews with General Manager Wendell Young.

This is a great fit for both parties involved and throwing out all fan feelings the Wolves will be a great team this upcoming year and hope to put the last few average years in the rear view mirror.

I accept that they will sign veterans but i just hope the first two lines aren't just made up of them. Players like Haydar, Garbutt and Deveaux where all wolves signings and all 3 of them where in top 10 for scoring, with few actual prospects being in there with them.

Archived