265 replies to this topic

#61 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,120 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:17 PM

Highlight reel pass from Honzik to Archi vs SJ.Woah.

#62 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:26 PM

Had 1 giveaway which led to a goal by the Sharks (taking after Luongo :P), but was otherwise solid. And yes that was a very nice, heads-up pass he made, which led to a good scoring chance too. As long as he keeps the puck-handling simple he should be alright lol.

Congrats on your first win in a Canucks uniform and hopefully there's many more to come!
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#63 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,064 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:52 AM

Honzik cut from training camp this morning.

Camp Cuts: Canucks reassign David Honzik to junior

Another minor roster trim this morning, as the Canucks have announced that 18-year-old goaltender David Honzik, their 3rd pick in the 2011 draft, has been reassigned to the Victoriaville Tigres. As usual, when a player is cut, PITB makes effort to explain the decision, and, just like yesterday's cuts of Sawyer Hannay and Marc Anthony Zanetti
, this one's a no-brainer: Honzik isn't ready for pro hockey.

Honzik started two games in Penticton's YoungStars tournament, and he didn't shine particularly brightly in either. In his first outing, he gave up six goals, several of the ugly variety. He looked shaky, out of sorts and, at times, over his head. In his second, he gave up another three, again looking uncertain and unconfident. He finished with a tournament-worst 6.35 goals against average and a save percentage of .809. Yuck.

It was impossible to miss the deflation in his body language during his time in the net, and frankly, it was probably kindness on the Canucks' part not to expose him to another confidence-rattling start at the pro level.

That said, the Canucks were never planning to give him another pro start. Like Marc Anthony Zanetti, Honzik didn't get brought to main camp because the organization thought he might compete for a spot anywhere; rather, he was invited back to Vancouver to get a little extra practice time, receive a few pointed criticisms, and be tasked with a handful of things to work on for next year by goaltending coach Rollie Melanson. The great thing for Honzik is, unlike Zanetti, he's a draft pick, so he knows for certain that he'll get a few more camps to show his stuff.

It's reasonable to assume that Honzik will be a lot better next year, both because he's still quite young and because he's been trending upward for quite some time. It would be easy for Canuck fans to be down on Honzik's selection, especially considering the poor showings he put in the two times they were able to finally see him, but it wouldn't be wise. Honzik has a great deal of raw potential and right now, all that we've seen is the rawness. Consider the following, from Canucks Army:

Before this season started, Honzik had never had real quality goalie coaching before in his life. So when you talk about "raw skilled goalies" – he is as raw as you can possibly get. For him to go from being this completely anonymous, raw skilled kid coming out the Czech Republic who really struggled in the first couple months of the season – he was a fish out of water on most nights – then getting that solid goalie coaching from Daniel Frechette, and for him to absorb all of this information that was thrown at him on a daily basis, and really push Antonio Mastropietro – who I personally think is a terrific goalie – then really take over and put it all together in the playoffs… well, that's why Vancouver drafted him so high.

Honzik took his game to a totally different world from where he was to begin the season. And a lot of scouts will say – you take two goalies, one of them is really technically sound and plays really well, but then the other is completely raw skilled, but can compete as well as the goalie with the technically sound skill set – which one do you take? Well you take the one with the raw skill, because imagine how good he'll be when he actually adds the technique to his game. And that was probably part of Vancouver's thinking – look where he was to start the season, and look where he ended off – being one of the best Q goalies in the playoffs.

Honzik's showings at the YoungStars tournament mirrored many of his early starts in Victoriaville, but by the time the season was over, he was one of the best goalies in the league. Sure, it wasn't enough for him to be the Canucks' MVP up in Penticton, but it was enough to convince the Canucks to draft him in the third round. If he continues to improve at the rate that got him drafted, he could still turn out to be very, very good.

Honzik will be tasked with improving on his form and technical movement; he's still too much of a reaction goaltender for the Canucks' liking. Heck, he'll be the first to admit he doesn't quite know what he's doing yet. From Sportsnet, last June:

Even Honzik couldn't always explain how the puck managed to stay out of the net on some shots.

"Sometimes I have luck because I'm pretty big in the net," the 6-foot-2, 209-pounder said. "Pucks just hit me. Sometimes I don't understand how (I) stop pucks too."

Hopefully by next year he understands a little better.

http://vansunsportsb...nzik-to-junior/

Canucks clear the crease

The Vancouver Canucks sent goaltender David Honzik back to his junior team, which is no surprise given that the young Czech only came to North America last year, and was only a part-time starter for the Victoriaville Tigres of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

Honzik, who only turned 18 last month, was shelled in his Canucks debut, giving up six goals on 22 shots to the Edmonton Oilers during the organization's Young Stars tournament in Penticton, B.C. last week. He bounced back with a 21-save effort against the San Jose Sharks in his second game of the tournament.

The Canucks, of course, are set in goal at the NHL level with Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider. They have sophomore sensation Eddie Lack on the farm, and are hoping that the smiley Swede has another dominant campaign in the American Hockey League.

If so, that would give the Canucks the flexibility to trade Schneider, and know that they have a young up-and-comer in Lack, who is ready to be an NHL backup. But it would also leave a void in the system, and open the question of who is the next Lack?

That's where Honzik comes in. The Canucks thought enough of him to select him in the third round of June's draft, 71st overall. It was a bit of a surprise because Honzik was rated by central scouting as the 13th best North American goalie prospect. The third-ranked goalie prospect, Jordan Binnington of the Ontario Hockey League's Owen Sound Attack, was still available when the Canucks took Honzik.

The Canucks have selected goaltenders in each year of Mike Gillis's term as general manager. They took Morgan Clark in the seventh round of the 2008 draft, Joe Cannata in sixth round of the '09 lottery, and Finn Jonathan Iilahti in sixth round of the 2010 draft. Cannata had an excellent season at Merrimack Colllege last year.

The hope is to develop a pipeline of solid goaltenders so that Luongo always has a solid backup, and so the team isn't vulnerable should it lose its starter to injury. There is also the ancillary benefit of having assets to trade. Should Lack, Honzik, et al develop as expected, it would make trading Schneider all the more palatable.

http://www.theglobea...article2172960/

Edited by Dasein, 20 September 2011 - 11:57 AM.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#64 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:39 PM

Hope he does well in junior this year. He'll have his own goalie coach from now on hopefully!

#65 BureisBest

BureisBest

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:08 AM

Honzik stopped all 30 shots to shutout the defending memorial cup champion Saint John Seadogs tonight. First star of the game and first SO of the year for Honzik.

http://en.lhjmq.qc.c...show/game/60317
Posted Image

#66 One one two

One one two

Got skipped

• Members
  • 8,243 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:10 AM

That's great to hear! ::D Especially for me - I really like this kid. :P

#67 Kent.S

Kent.S

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:57 AM

Honzik stopped all 30 shots to shutout the defending memorial cup champion Saint John Seadogs tonight. First star of the game and first SO of the year for Honzik.

http://en.lhjmq.qc.c...show/game/60317

That's awesome. It sounds like he actually is mixing his talent with technique, which in the end will make him a strong goalie. Can't wait

#68 Enter_The_Dragon

Enter_The_Dragon

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:01 PM

Looks like Huberdeau was not with the Sea Dogs, but sounds like a good win for Honzik

#69 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:41 PM

Huberdeau's being sent back to junior, but he wasn't there for that game. Go Honzik!

#70 jigsaw99

jigsaw99

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:30 AM

not doing so hot. looks like he's going to lose his starter role.

#71 kassasin#9

kassasin#9

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:18 AM

not doing so hot. looks like he's going to lose his starter role.

Want to elaborate on that?
Posted Image
Credit to Kesler's Happy Dance!

#72 Guardian452

Guardian452

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:11 AM

Victoriaville's Goaltending stats as of October 11, 2011

Name GP Min GA GAA W L T ENG SO Saves SvPct

Brandon Whitney 7 333 15 2.70 5 0 0 0 1 112 0.882
David Honzik 7 393 27 4.12 3 4 0 1 1 173 0.865

Edited by Guardian452, 12 October 2011 - 07:15 AM.

#73 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,191 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:16 AM

Victoriaville's Goaltending stats as of October 11, 2011

Name GP Min GA GAA W L T ENG SO Saves SvPct Brandon Whitney 7 333 15 2.70 5 0 0 0 1 112 0.882 David Honzik 7 393 27 4.12 3 4 0 1 1 173 0.865

fixed
Name		GP	Min	GA	GAA	W	L	T	ENG	SO	Saves	SvPct
Brandon Whitney	7 	333 	15 	2.70 	5 	0	0 	0 	1 	112 	0.882
David Honzik	7 	393 	27 	4.12 	3 	4 	0 	1 	1 	173 	0.865

Edited by avelanch, 12 October 2011 - 07:17 AM.

#74 One one two

One one two

Got skipped

• Members
  • 8,243 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:26 AM

Honzik has made over 50 more saves than Whitney. :emot-parrot:

Edited by One one two, 12 October 2011 - 07:26 AM.

#75 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,064 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:42 AM

4.12 GAA? Ouch.

#76 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 35,191 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:59 AM

they both have a sv% of below .900

something tells me their defense is horrid.

Edited by avelanch, 12 October 2011 - 07:59 AM.

#77 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:40 AM

Something tells me league wide defense is horrid!

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#78 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 35,191 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:57 AM

absolutely (QMJHL :emot-parrot: )
But David is the 19th best GAA in a 17 team league, and the 17th best Sv%. his counterpart has the 3rd best GAA and the 10th best save %...

#79 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:46 PM

Well it is the Q, and they're not particularly known for their great defense. Posted Image

#80 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:40 PM

To this day, I'm still shaking my head why Gillis drafted this average at best goalie in the 3rd round whereas he could draft him at 7th round, maybe even as an undrafted FA.

Edited by Ox., 16 October 2011 - 12:40 PM.

Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#81 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,064 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:58 PM

To this day, I'm still shaking my head why Gillis drafted this average at best goalie in the 3rd round whereas he could draft him at 7th round, maybe even as an undrafted FA.

Why don't you go make another pointless thread about it?

#82 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:10 PM

Why don't you go make another pointless thread about it?

Are you stupid? Don't you see this is the David Honzik thread? So many kids in CDC. That's why there are so many clutter. One topic related to another and this guy wants another thread. Wow,

#83 Kent.S

Kent.S

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:27 PM

Hey ox.
Are you serious when you say we could have drafted him in the 7th round? That's kind of absurd to take him 4 rounds earlier.

But they are the professionals so I'm just going to sit back and try to see what they see.

#84 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,064 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:27 PM

POPULAR

Are you stupid? Don't you see this is the David Honzik thread? So many kids in CDC. That's why there are so many clutter. One topic related to another and this guy wants another thread. Wow,

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/315565-guys-do-not-panic/page__p__10067561#entry10067561

http://forum.canucks...9#entry10071789

http://forum.canucks...2#entry10073262

http://forum.canucks...6#entry10073616

http://forum.canucks...9#entry10077249

That's the last 5 threads that you have started. For example, you create an "Ultimate Luongo Thread" then when that gets locked so you choose to create a new Luongo thread instead...Not to mention, "The Ultimate Cody Hodgson Thread" when they are many others, including THE "Cody Hodgson Talk". I was very surprised that you didn't clutter CDC by creating another "Ultimate Honzik Thread" with your post up there!

So yeah, I'd say you're dumb enough to clutter CDC with another thread that relates to one topic kiddo.

#85 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:29 PM

Hey ox.
Are you serious when you say we could have drafted him in the 7th round? That's kind of absurd to take him 4 rounds earlier.

But they are the professionals so I'm just going to sit back and try to see what they see.

Yeah, Honzik was projected not too high among the goalies.

#86 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:30 PM

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/315565-guys-do-not-panic/page__p__10067561#entry10067561

http://forum.canucks...9#entry10071789

http://forum.canucks...2#entry10073262

http://forum.canucks...6#entry10073616

http://forum.canucks...9#entry10077249

That's the last 5 threads that you have started. For example, you create an "Ultimate Luongo Thread" then when that gets locked so you choose to create a new Luongo thread instead...Not to mention, "The Ultimate Cody Hodgson Thread" when they are many others, including THE "Cody Hodgson Talk". I was very surprised that you didn't clutter CDC by creating another "Ultimate Honzik Thread" with your post up there!

So yeah, I'd say you're dumb enough to clutter CDC with another thread that relates to one topic kiddo.

Wow. Stalker.

#87 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,790 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:32 PM

Hey ox.

He really has no proof of anything. He has no idea which other teams were honing in on Honzik or who had which scouting reports. For all we know Toronto was going to take him in the 4th. And he will never have any proof because if anyone comes out and says it, it's tampering. So he's just bashing MG (once again) with made up facts

zuhwS.gif

#88 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,064 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:33 PM

Wow. Stalker.

I played you out for what you really are--an attention seeking troll--and you're surprised? LOL

Not that hard to go on somebody's profile and see the topics that they've started. And judging by how many pointless threads per week you start that are based on your dimwitted opinions, you are clearly desperate for attention - in which case, you were probably flattered that I crept your page.

You're welcome.

Edited by Dasein, 16 October 2011 - 01:35 PM.

#89 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,790 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:39 PM

Yeah, Honzik was projected not too high among the goalies.

Which obviously means nobody would take him. As we all know, every team but us has the same list and they all pick in order of that list, until the Canucks come up and pick a name out of a hat based on no scouting reports or anything. :rolleyes:

zuhwS.gif

#90 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:43 PM

Not too encouraging so far, hope he picks it up. The Canucks must really believe in him to have taken him in the 3rd round. That, or the scout who recommended him has put a lot of the line for us to be going off the board like that, and I'm not sure if our scouts in the Q have quite earned that benefit of the doubt yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.